Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting some paint work done on my 2007 GXP anyone got a suggestion for the splash guards?Looking at my vehicle,there is allot of clear coat chipping going on both front and back of car,not from me mind you ,bought it this way.Thinking of putting on splash guards,don't like the looks of them but don't want to continue having to paint or fix the areas.Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
well...

Here are a couple of photos from the gallery...

If you do not like the looks, then you might want to consider
that 'clear-bra' stuff for those areas of the car.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I have the GM clear bra on the rocker panels and the GM splash guards front and back. I love the look of the splash guards and the combination gives you the ultimate protection.:thumbs: I have no chips and would go nuts if I did.:willy:

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Yeah, clear guard is the option if you don't like the splash guards. GMPP used to do a kit, but don't think it's available now. Try eBay, or a local clear guard installer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a set of the GM factory splash guards on my 06, front and back. Installed them about 5 years ago and still look good. I was able to get the painted ones (dark blue metallic) from GMPartsDirect.com. Just bought another set (black) for my 09 coupe and had the dealership body shop paint them the same color (ruby red metallic) as the car.
If you need the part numbers, #17800974 and #17800975.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I got the black ones like you pictured from Rock Auto I believe. They do keep the car significantly cleaner.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Update... looked up my order & the part number, and the GM rocker-panel clear guard kit may still be available: 19170307 - GM Body Side, Protection

Note that it does not cover the area behind the rear wheels, though.
Exactly, it goes behind the front wheels and before the back. That is why this in combo with the splash guards works great.:thumbs:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Splash Guards

Not so much that I don't like the look,probably the wrong way to say that ,just never liked splash guards on any vehicle.The Solstice and other low profile vehicles get beat by road rash so I can see them being needed more so.In any event I did some looking and did not find any for front and back ,called one supplier and he said rear guards only,will have to check out your suggestions .Thanks guys.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Northern Sol ;
I kinda of like the idea of the before the back wheels.my Sol has what looks like white road paint spray behind the front and before the rear wheels from road crap.I initially thought it could be rubbed out but no such luck,even has some on the door panels.I am guessing it is more from the front wheels that causes this to happen,anyways on black it shows pretty bad .Will get paint work done and a complete buff job on the car sometime late in the week and check into some splash guards to keep the car looking better.As far as the clear coating on the rocker panels ,is that the type they put on trucks like a clear chip guard ,does show up kinda like a clear crinkle coat?Thanks again.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
Not so much that I don't like the look,probably the wrong way to say that ,just never liked splash guards on any vehicle.The Solstice and other low profile vehicles get beat by road rash so I can see them being needed more so.In any event I did some looking and did not find any for front and back ,called one supplier and he said rear guards only,will have to check out your suggestions .Thanks guys.
Splash Guards

It only took me a couple of minutes to find these. I have had them on my Solstice for about 7 years, and have almost no paint damage from road crud.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Northern Sol ;
I kinda of like the idea of the before the back wheels.my Sol has what looks like white road paint spray behind the front and before the rear wheels from road crap.I initially thought it could be rubbed out but no such luck,even has some on the door panels.I am guessing it is more from the front wheels that causes this to happen,anyways on black it shows pretty bad .Will get paint work done and a complete buff job on the car sometime late in the week and check into some splash guards to keep the car looking better.As far as the clear coating on the rocker panels ,is that the type they put on trucks like a clear chip guard ,does show up kinda like a clear crinkle coat?Thanks again.
It is a clear film. Same as what you put on the front of car which is a clear bra. I think it is 3m film? I got the rocker panel film and splash guards from my dealership and had them install. Maybe $200.00 all in for everything if I remember right and well worth it. :thumbs: I just detailed my Sol this morning and I am in mint shape there.:thumbs: Depending on the colour of your car you can go black like I did or they have some that match your body paint. Forum member Dr Gronk has a red Sol with matching red splash guards and it looks really cool!:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
:agree: Yup. I did mine myself and found it pretty easy to apply. It is a clear guard type material, but much thicker than the regular clearguard - basically it's the same stuff as the triangles on the trunk lid, where the buttresses latch down.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I hate mudflaps on the car, but to each their own. Just be aware, they don't do well on speed bumps and don't work very well on lowered cars.

As for film, Ventureshield is superior to Clear Bra. So much so that 3M bought them out. My sig has the link showing lots of pics of ventureshield film and as discussed here, behind and in front of wheels. It saves the paint and works great.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/ventureshield-installed-pics-28179/

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered item 17800974 and 17800975 from GM $83.00 is still cheaper than repainting the rear quarters and doors.Just had that all done a few weeks ago,they then stoned my road,what they do here is they put some sort of oil down and then dump stone on it.It does a great job of sandblasting your paint and chips the hell out of the quarters and door panels.
Worse than that they post a 25 mph speed limit but when people fly by at 60 mph and kick up all those stones nothing helps.So I ordered the splash guards to keep some of the chips off from the front wheels kicking up stones and will get it painted again.I may even get some of that clear plastic coating .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts