Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have added a new formatting code that you can use when posting. It is called spoiler code. You can use it if you are posting about something that may spoil it for someone else. The classic example is a movie ending.

To use it ust put the tags you see in the title around the text to hide or highlight the code and click on the spoiler button. :cheers:

Oh yeah... if it is the first post you should put it a few lines down so you don't see it on the thread preview.

Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)
Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Spoiler

If I put a spoiler on a Solstice it would spoil it for every one. Is that what you meant? I'm old 66yrs. I need alot of guidance.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
It's like this:

War of the Worlds was an awesome movie!

Tom Cruise was really good and the action was spectacular.

The ending was really great! ...

When they won because the aliens weren't planning
on little microorganisms bringing them to their death.

Oh, and did Tim Robbins strike anybody else as a psycho at first?
The way he was staring at them and sharpening the ax, I thought
for sure he was some sort of child molester or serial killer!

·
Registered
19 Posts
dori-san said:
It's like this:

War of the Worlds was an awesome movie!

Tom Cruise was really good and the action was spectacular.

The ending was really great! ...

When they won because the aliens weren't planning
on little microorganisms bringing them to their death.

Oh, and did Tim Robbins strike anybody else as a psycho at first?
The way he was staring at them and sharpening the ax, I thought
for sure he was some sort of child molester or serial killer!
Really, I didn't get the ending at all.
First some grenades kill the thing, then birds, and then Tom Cruise says that the birds killed them, and then Morgan Freeman's godly voice says that microorganisms killed the aliens. It comes down to who you trust, Tom Cruise (what kind of idiot would trust him, Mr. Psychology is BS), or Morgan Freeman's voice. So, in conclusion, it was microorganisms.

Wow I just wrote all of that to simply reinforce what you said! :willy:

·
Registered
763 Posts
i hated that movie, aliens that have been planning this for a million years just forgot to see if they could survive in our air? oh and why plant the ships and wait hundreds of years? there would be a smaller population to kill in the past.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You guys realise the movie is a remake of an old classic which is a remake of a radio show right? If you didn't know the ending already then you need to watch some more old classics. :D

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...the book came first

brentil said:
You guys realise the movie is a remake of an old classic which is a remake of a radio show right? If you didn't know the ending already then you need to watch some more old classics. :D
"H.G Wells, (1866-1946), English novelist, journalist, sociologist, and historian, famous for his works of science fiction. Wells's best-known books are The Time Machine (1895), The Invisible Man (1897), and The War Of The Worlds (1898)"

-THE LITERATURE NETWORK :yawn:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...then came the radio

brentil said:
War of the Worlds, Orson Welles,
And The Invasion from Mars

The ability to confuse audiences en masse may have first become obvious as a result of one of the most infamous mistakes in history. It happened the day before Halloween, on Oct. 30, 1938, when millions of Americans tuned in to a popular radio program that featured plays directed by, and often starring, Orson Welles. The performance that evening was an adaptation of the science fiction novel The War of the Worlds, about a Martian invasion of the earth. But in adapting the book for a radio play, Welles made an important change: under his direction the play was written and performed so it would sound like a news broadcast about an invasion from Mars, a technique that, presumably, was intended to heighten the dramatic effect.

-TRANSPERANCYNOW.COM :leaving: :leaving:

·
Registered
64 Posts
castleking said:
Really, I didn't get the ending at all.
First some grenades kill the thing, then birds, and then Tom Cruise says that the birds killed them, and then Morgan Freeman's godly voice says that microorganisms killed the aliens. It comes down to who you trust, Tom Cruise (what kind of idiot would trust him, Mr. Psychology is BS), or Morgan Freeman's voice. So, in conclusion, it was microorganisms.

Wow I just wrote all of that to simply reinforce what you said! :willy:
Tom Cruise didn't say the birds killed them, he was just pointing out that the shields weren't working, still not a very exciting ending, same as the orginal.

G

·
Troy Roberts said:
I have added a new formatting code that you can use when posting. It is called spoiler code. You can use it if you are posting about something that may spoil it for someone else. The classic example is a movie ending.

To use it ust put the tags you see in the title around the text to hide or highlight the code and click on the spoiler button. :cheers:

Oh yeah... if it is the first post you should put it a few lines down so you don't see it on the thread preview.

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!

Troy Roberts,

I have been on a lot of forums over the years, and this is perhaps the coolest feature I have ever seen. Bravo Zulu!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Troy,
Kewl Tool!!

War of the Worlds... Incredibly poor version of a classic!! 2/3 of the movie is Tom hiding playing "I'm so scared whoa is me!!" Then suddenly he gets balls and can kill one? Gimme a break!

I agree that it is way to far fetched to think that;
1. an alien race that lives on a planet with an atmosphere completely different from ours would want anything from Earth as a home!
2. They would wait for billions of people to breed here to defeat unless they wanted a slave race.
3. they would wait and not know about deseases? Get serious.

And what was with the snatching them into baskets and then sucking them in? Was that supposed to be the fertilizer units, or were they implying they were food / fuel also?

Just a note... Fantastic 4 on the other hand is AWESOME!! Followed the original comic well, very believable special effects. Consistent and excellent!! I highly recommend it! and the ending
is just what you expect! a setup for the sequels. LOL

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sol Cruisin said:
Troy,
Kewl Tool!!

War of the Worlds... Incredibly poor version of a classic!! 2/3 of the movie is Tom hiding playing "I'm so scared whoa is me!!" Then suddenly he gets balls and can kill one? Gimme a break!

1. an alien race that lives on a planet with an atmosphere completely different from ours would want anything from Earth as a home!
2. They would wait for billions of people to breed here to defeat unless they wanted a slave race.

And what was with the snatching them into baskets and then sucking them in? Was that supposed to be the fertilizer units, or were they implying they were food / fuel also?

Just a note... Fantastic 4 on the other hand is AWESOME!! Followed the original comic well, very believable special effects. Consistent and excellent!! I highly recommend it! and the ending
is just what you expect! a setup for the sequels. LOL
Way to utilize that spoiler code!! :lol:

Perhaps you didn't understand the purpose of it...

Flagg

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I'm serious! WTF you guys, some of you who are using the code are putting stupid sh*t in there and putting the spoiling info right out in the open. Now if I hadn't already seen this movie I'd be pissed that you ruined it.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Is it so far fetched?

Sol Cruisin said:

Just a note... Fantastic 4 on the other hand is AWESOME!! Followed the original comic well, very believable special effects. Consistent and excellent!! I highly recommend it!
1. There is no reason that the aliens could not have come from a planet with a similar atmosphere. If fact it is probable that there are many earth like worlds in the universe, it's a very big place. Their compatibility was established by the scene of them rummaging in the basement.

2. Perhaps they weren't waiting for us at all. We may have been an unfortunate accident space travel. Consider the possibility that the alien home world is about 333,000 light years from us, and for what ever reason the aliens want a new home, so they scan the heavens for potential sites and the information they get on earth looks promissing. They then send robotic probes and terriformers on a journey to earth at as close to the speed of light as possible, so it takes about 333,000 years for them to get here.

They send many machines because, if it turns out that the planet is suitible, they don't want to waste more time sending more, so it is more efficeint to sent the whole deal at once, however because they need to be careful they don't send any aliens themselves. The machines get here and they report back that it's a go. The message takes another 333,000 years to reach the home world and in the mean time the machines bury themselves to protect them from the ravages of natural erosion and decay that the surface would cause as they wait the next 333,000 for the aliens themselves to show up.

By the time the aliens get here, a million years has ellapsed since they first decided on the endevour. It has been 666,000 years since the most current information. In that time man has gone from just another monkey in the jungle to an actual threat. Man has gone from a few million in number for the whole planet to about 6 billion. This might explain why the Tripod machines don't have better means of exterminating us then one at a time, they really didn't expect a problem. In short, they didn't wait for us, we just happened. Even for aliens, S#%t happens.

3. This is connected to point 2. In 666,000 years, whole new unforseen viruses can evolve. Single cell oganisms can mutate and evolve very rapidly, this is why we have so much trouble with disease ourselves. Would the aliens have taken better precausions with an unknown world's enviroment? Probably, maybe the aliens have never know disease and weren't looking for it, or maybe they'll just dumb, but regardless of that, it's story published in 1898 when the science of micro biology and the study of pathogens was new and amazing, and is still a clever ending.

The Fantastic Four, now there's some believeable science.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
AeroDave said:
1. There is no reason that the aliens could not have come from a planet with a similar atmosphere. ....
All of this post would make very good sense and I would agree with you completely and my post would have been totally different... except for ONE major fact. They are Martians, from Mars! :lol:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
dori-san said:
I'm serious! WTF you guys, some of you who are using the code are putting stupid sh*t in there and putting the spoiling info right out in the open. Now if I hadn't already seen this movie I'd be pissed that you ruined it.
We can't ruin it! It was ruined when they made it! :lol:

But, seriously, sorry if I let any cats out of the bag.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Sol Cruisin said:
All of this post would make very good sense and I would agree with you completely and my post would have been totally different... except for ONE major fact. They are Martians, from Mars! :lol:

Only in the book, maybe, the radio show and original movie for sure, but not in this version. BTW, IMHO this movie will win awards for special effects but nothing for acting. It was third rate compared to old movie version

1 - 18 of 18 Posts