Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the sprint booster 3. I have an 06 base and this seems like a good inexpensive way to give me a kick.

I am always concerned with messing with factory settings. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
The sprintbooster is an overpriced piece of crap that will make you think you have improved performance without actually improving anything.

It is an amplifier that wires between the accelerator pedal and the ECM to boost the signal. The engine revs higher than you think it should based on your experience, so you feel like you have more power. Pure crap.

I found a very thorough analysis of one a while back that clearly demonstrated that its effect is exactly the same as pushing harder on the accelerator.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
As John said, it bumps the throttle "response" so it feels like you're going faster when the pedal isn't pressed down as far. You have your own "booster" already installed on your right foot. Just put it to the floor.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Motorhead Garage did a test on the Sprint Booster.
After watching it is kind of hard to dismiss it as snake oil as you can visually see that the throtte response is faster. Enough to try it? Not for me but maybe others

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
It will add 50hp and comb your hair for you after you stop.
What about cut your hair? I need that right now...
Yeah, definitely only worth the money if it also cuts. And cleans up, of course.

Motorhead Garage did a test on the Sprint Booster.
After watching it is kind of hard to dismiss it as snake oil as you can visually see that the throtte response is faster. Enough to try it? Not for me but maybe others
You get the same result from pushing the pedal down faster.

I should say here that I have not looked to see if they have changed this thing in some way, but the original is only connected between the pedal and the ECM, so it cannot have any effect on what the ECM tells the throttle. I am assuming that it still connects the same way, which means that actual throttle response (as opposed to perceived throttle response) cannot be improved by it.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
No horsepower gains... but it completely changed the throttle response in my 2008 GXP - and there is nothing wrong with my right foot. I like the change and would buy it again - my son bought one for his 2016 Buick Regal GS 2.0 Turbo and it didn't have much of an effect due to the switchable drive mode buttons that seem to do the same thing. The Sprint Booster was returned within 30 days and he was issued a full refund.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Like others have already said, it does not increase HP, but it does quicken the throttle response for the amount of travel of the gas pedal. If that is what you are looking for you will probably be happy with it.
If you are looking for more HP I would not buy it.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
This thing does a simple job - increasing the intentionally slowed down throttle reaction back toward what a cable system would do. I guess that I can see someone finding the stock electronic system frustrating enough to want to essentially replace it with the electronic equivalent of a throttle cable, but I am happy just pushing the throttle down as much as is needed for the situation.

It is worth noting that on more expensive cars, the dumbing down is far more extensive than just throttle control - it includes transmission settings, shock settings etc. In those cases, they usually have a 'Sport' button the chooses a different bunch of settings - faster accelerator, reduced traction/stability control, stiffer shocks etc.

AFAIK, the competition setting in the traction control button does nothing for any other system. If GM had just included a change in throttle operation when you were in competition mode, the Sprint Booster would be totally superfluous for these cars.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
my concern would be a 'bog' because the throttle opens too quickly, but i didn't see any evidence of that in all the videos i looked at; so not necessary but certainly a neat toy...

Bill

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
In a properly set up fuel injection set up, you don't usually get a 'bog' where the sudden opening results in a lean burn situation until the fuel catches up. It was fairly common with carbs, though, where intake velocity didn't get enough help from accelerator pump settings.

I used to run a car powered by a Chrysler big block with a six pack set up on it. The end two carbs were opened by vacuum. The less than bright bulbs in the owners group (and there was no shortage of those) would get the (to them) brilliant idea that switching to mechanical progression would be racey. Of course the entirely predictable result of opening all the carbs at once in a system that flowed 1300 cfm was to produce a monumental stumble and the car was almost undrivable unless you feathered the throttle.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
......I found a very thorough analysis of one a while back that clearly demonstrated that its effect is exactly the same as pushing harder on the accelerator. ......
Driving a car is not about thorough analysis, it is emotion :) :)

Most modern cars have setting like comfort / sport / et cetera, this also tweaks the throttle response

Most aftermarket tunes for our Kappa's change many settings, this also tweaks the throttle response

So installing a sprint-booster to get a different throttle response seems a good solution for people who are after that feeling. Go for it I would say !

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
This thing does a simple job - increasing the intentionally slowed down throttle reaction back toward what a cable system would do. I guess that I can see someone finding the stock electronic system frustrating enough to want to essentially replace it with the electronic equivalent of a throttle cable, but I am happy just pushing the throttle down as much as is needed for the situation.

It is worth noting that on more expensive cars, the dumbing down is far more extensive than just throttle control - it includes transmission settings, shock settings etc. In those cases, they usually have a 'Sport' button the chooses a different bunch of settings - faster accelerator, reduced traction/stability control, stiffer shocks etc.

AFAIK, the competition setting in the traction control button does nothing for any other system. If GM had just included a change in throttle operation when you were in competition mode, the Sprint Booster would be totally superfluous for these cars.
I understand where you are going with this, but I think you are still overstating the function. It plugs in between the throttle pedal and the ECU to amplify the pedal's output, so it isn't going to increase the actual speed of operation of the throttle, it is just going to shift the curve.

Here is the connection diagram from SprintBooster:
Capture.PNG
You can see that the only ECM inputs are the original pedal inputs.
Here is their response curve:
Capture1.PNG
The original curve is very linear, but the "enhanced" curve is amplified at the bottom end. From 3/4 up it is basically the same.
I see this as similar to using the loudness button on an audio system to increase bass at low volume.

I did see that it has one redeeming feature in its "Valet Mode" that actually reduces the throttle response and the maximum throttle.
Not worth anywhere close to $300 to me, but at least not a complete waste.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I did see that it has one redeeming feature in its "Valet Mode" that actually reduces the throttle response and the maximum throttle.
Not worth anywhere close to $300 to me, but at least not a complete waste.
the PARK mode might be worthwhile as an anti-theft device
Bill

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
the PARK mode might be worthwhile as an anti-theft device
Bill
But not worth $300.

I accomplished the same thing on one of my old British sports cars by sticking a spare circuit in the car that required the cigarette lighter to be in the socket to energize the ignition. Net cost = zero. Others did the same thing by sticking a hidden switch in the fuel pump circuit, although in that case the car could go a block or two before the engine died.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Has anyone installed the sprint booster 3. I have an 06 base and this seems like a good inexpensive way to give me a kick.

I am always concerned with messing with factory settings. Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks everyone, quess I'll stay stock as I don't drive far and I have had little problems so far. As the saying goes don't fix it if it's not broken.

Also update on my stained top. I tried the RIT and was a little taken back, I think as have been said the whole top has to be done. So I am bringing it to the upholstery shop to y spray and hope it gets covered. It will be some time but I will keep you posted. Thanks again, all your help is appreciated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts