Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I was playing around and really wound it up tight in 1st gear and after I let off and shifted into 2nd it sputtered real bad and ran like crap. However, once I let it idle it seemed to drive fine.

This did it again a few days ago and again tyesterday. I'm still getting 23 psi and it seems like it's running OK but it just did it again and has me worrying.

The only code I pulled was 0420. I bought a replacement downstream 02 sensor and it still did it so I decided to gut the cat and all that did was make it stink.

I was going to buy a Solo HF cat on Friday but am now wondering if I need to save that for something else.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Sounds like a misfire...

How close to the rev limiter are you going before shifting?

Try shifting a hair sooner.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll take a look at the tach but it almost sounds like it's running out of fuel after a hard romp and sputters until I let off the gas all the way and then it's fine. didn't do it before that one night of donuts in the rain but I'm not getting any other codes.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
It sounds like what mine does when it's cold.... it dumps extra fuel into the motor when it's cold in an attempt to warm it up quicker..... When I get on it and get into boost, it blows all the boost out the exhaust, and bogs the motor with fuel. It sputters and I can't go anywhere for about 4 seconds and then the motor cleans out.... Good luck at figuring it out!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried it again yesterday and pinged it in neutral and it did it both times. seems to be redline related for sure. haven't tried it with the tune off yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine always acts this way if I over-rev in 1st. I assumed the fuel is being shut off by the control system and takes a couple of seconds for the flow to resume.

·
Registered
616 Posts
That's fairly normal for our kappa's, regardless of the gear, once you hit the redline (~6300 rpms) the ECM kills the fuel (to save your engine from damage due to over revving) thereby causing you to go into what we call "limp mode", pretty much as Jim1965 described above. That said, if it goes into limp mode and doesn't really come out and your boost is limited to 3 to 4 pounds, then you probably have a leak in your boost system, i.e, clamps, charge pipes, IC, etc. but in this case you should also throw a code.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm, OK, weird that It's doing it on a regular basis now. Not sure if the 02 sensor code has anything to do with it and it's time for an oil change, new air filter and I probably still have the stock plugs.

I'm going to get the new cat and replace those few things and maybe it will lighten up.

Thanks for the input. If I change something and it seems to go away, I'll be sure and post.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I finally figured it out. it has been doing it on a regular basis up until this weekend when I installed a CAI and now it no longer sputters.

My stock air filter was dirty, way dirtier than I'd like to admit and was choking it out.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
That's fairly normal for our kappa's, regardless of the gear, once you hit the redline (~6300 rpms) the ECM kills the fuel (to save your engine from damage due to over revving) thereby causing you to go into what we call "limp mode",
An excellent safety measure, and better implemented than earlier cars. I had a Fiero with a turbo and it would completely cut the fuel but no limp mode. First time that happened was at about 110 mph on a long uphill straight and the noise suddenly stopped altogether and I figured I'd done something drastic to the engine except that's usually accompanied by noise, smoke etc. Lifted my foot and the fire came back again.

In that case it wasn't an rpm control, it was an overboost safety. Something only out of the past as I believe that our ECM senses and controls boost and goes into limp mode if it sees too high boost.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Have you cleaned your MAF? I cleaned mine and couldn’t believe the difference in idle. I now idle at about 600rpm. Before I was surging and idled around 750. I would also get a weird feeling (almost like a miss) around 4k under heavy accel but always attributed it to my tune….that’s gone too. My MAF was disgusting!!! I have a Fujita CAI and I think that attributed toward it being that dirty.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe I should have reworded my post:

PROBLEM SOLVED.

However, I also cleaned the MAF before I stuck it in the new CAI so it's possible it was either the filter of a dirty MAF but it didn't look that bad so I'm still leaning toward the filter which probably was the original.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts