Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I took some interior trim loose yesterday, in a fruitless search for hidden storage space possibilities (well, practically fruitless anyway). I found something a bit disturbing. I found evidence of ... uh, let's say "American ingenuity" in how some of the trim is affixed, at least in my car anyway. It looks like maybe they ran out of the correct type of trim clip, and instead of stopping the line until they got more, they "improvised" by hacking the clips off of some other trim panels and holding them in place with masking tape.

Well, hopefully these pictures tell a better story than my text:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics for enquiring minds

I sure would like to see what the actual subwoofer enclosure looks like. Here's where it goes. It looks like the amp mounts to the four studs in the bulkhead behind the driver's seat, and the sub must make the most of the "extra" space afforded by the small hollows in the bulkhead behind the passanger's seat. Bear in mind that the rear bulkhead trim piece leaves more open space than what appears here at first glance. It meets the floor slightly forward of the edge of the carpet in this picture.

Judging from the cutaway drawings we've seen, I was expecting the chamber behind the passanger's seat to be larger than it actually is. I had planned on cutting a hole in the trim panel and fabricating a small compartment out of fiberglass to go there. At this point, though, I'm not sure if that would even be worth my while.

Also attached is a pic of the underside of the trim panel that goes around the parking brake handle. Note that it is actually upholstered.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have the monsoog speakers and I think the speaker is in the lower dent as opposed to the upper. The speaker is basically at the passenger's lower back.

I understand the second set of pictures, but in all honesty I can not figure out the first set. What are we looking at? :)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll venture a guess that the sub's chamber is tall and narrow, and might fill that upper cavity as well.

The first set of pictures are the trim pieces that the rear speakers are mounted in. They include some locations for trim clips like the one that is in my hand in the last picture. However, instead of using those trim clips, it looks like somebody hacked molded trim clips from a "doner" panel and slid them into the slots, then used masking tape to keep them from falling out. My guess is that they ran out of the correct clip, and decided "MacGuyver" an alternative solution.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has anyone attempted to put a after market sub in the location of the OEM sub? I want to install a sub in the car to get a little more bass, any suggestions on placement. If someone with the moonsoon system would try and pull the sub and take pictures it would really help. Would like to know the size and depth of the OEM sub

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
2KWK4U said:
...It looks like maybe they ran out of the correct type of trim clip, and instead of stopping the line until they got more, they "improvised" by hacking the clips off of some other trim panels and holding them in place with masking tape. ...
Actually, what you are seeing is the same thing I saw when I first popped off that big panel. I was told that the tape is a temporary measure to "hold" the fastener in your last picture in the clip location until it gets attached. Apparently, on the assembly line, it is possible for the small clips to fall off if they don't have a piece of tape to keep them in the notch as shown in this picture http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2498 when transporting the panels around and installing them.

I think the metal versions of those clips are where the original plastic clips were not strong enough or did not have enough retention force. The metal addition increases the retention force of the clip.

Or... maybe not... :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
SolsticeMan said:
Actually, what you are seeing is the same thing I saw when I first popped off that big panel. I was told that the tape is a temporary measure to "hold" the fastener in your last picture in the clip location until it gets attached. Apparently, on the assembly line, it is possible for the small clips to fall off if they don't have a piece of tape to keep them in the notch as shown in this picture http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2498 when transporting the panels around and installing them.

I think the metal versions of those clips are where the original plastic clips were not strong enough or did not have enough retention force. The metal addition increases the retention force of the clip.

Or... maybe not... :lol:
Exactly my thoughts and I am sure that 2KWK4U wil wish he had more of the 'official' GM 3M stuff when he keeps dropping teh clips when reinstalling the panels.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
stang said:
Cool! Somebody took their car apart. Thanks for the pics. Good luck on your search for more storage. :)
Good luck putting it back together without linedog. :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
It is a little strange that your car has so much writing on th e inside of the panels. Given you are at car 10k plus, this is representative of some closer than normal production monitoring on those parts.

I don't think masking tape will be in '07 cars. I can't imagine that being part of a production process. Too slow and labor intensive.

2KWK4U said:
So, I took some interior trim loose yesterday, in a fruitless search for hidden storage space possibilities (well, practically fruitless anyway). I found something a bit disturbing. I found evidence of ... uh, let's say "American ingenuity" in how some of the trim is affixed, at least in my car anyway. It looks like maybe they ran out of the correct type of trim clip, and instead of stopping the line until they got more, they "improvised" by hacking the clips off of some other trim panels and holding them in place with masking tape.

Well, hopefully these pictures tell a better story than my text:

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My Dad was the foeman of the bodyshop for a local dealership for 25+ years. I spend my summers in high school and college working in the shop with him. I guarantee you that you will find writing, tape, chewing gum, candy bar wrappers, etc, inside of the compartments. It doesn't happen on every car, but it does happen quite often. Line workers must also have a good sense of humor. When the model name was put on with individual letters, we found MANY that came in with buick spelled bnick. The "u" was put on upside down. It happened so many times we were wondering if the workers were having fun or if they were trying to start a new GM division. :lol:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
My Dad was the foeman of the bodyshop for a local dealership for 25+ years. I spend my summers in high school and college working in the shop with him. I guarantee you that you will find writing, tape, chewing gum, candy bar wrappers, etc, inside of the compartments. It doesn't happen on every car, but it does happen quite often. Line workers must also have a good sense of humor. When the model name was put on with individual letters, we found MANY that came in with buick spelled bnick. The "u" was put on upside down. It happened so many times we were wondering if the workers were having fun or if they were trying to start a new GM division. :lol:

I'm sure LineDog will tell us that this stuff isn't happening on the Solstice production line... won't he... lie to us, please. We CAN'T Take the TENSION! :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Finding random crap is the impact of human assembly.

Finding small paint dots or stripes are often checks in the assembly process to verify something happened - a bolt was torqued, a snap plug was assembled, and so forth.

Finding detailed paint marker hand writing with serialized information, dates, or other codes is not normal. That is an indication of a special inspection process, rework, or the likes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts