Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
squeaking rear suspension bushings?

I have some slight squeaking from my 2009 Solstice rear suspension. I can hear it when I drive as well as when I press down on the rear of vehicle in a shock absorber )strut) test. What can I do to quiet things down. Do the bushings or some other part need some WD40 or grease? Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Intersting
Not a commonly reported problem for the rear.

Have you taken a look to make sure there is not some maintenance required? A few things that come to mind are the history of the hub bolts coming lose, the shocks failing and leaking fluid, the differential phenolic mount failing or becoming fowled

By the way, WD 40 is not a lubricant. It is a topic for discussion about once a year . .. see several threads on the subject.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a very slight squeak, doubt if it requires more than some lube on the rubber bushings , if they exist . It's hard to see under the real of the vehicle with jacking it up . Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Use silicone dielectric grease to lube the bushings (available in a tube at most auto parts stores)

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Soup - wouldn't that require removal of the bushings? (At least partial?) Would a liquid silicone spray be easier to apply? (I would imagine it would eventually migrate over the bushing.)

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Will the struts squeak -the car has only 30K miles?
Initial response would be "no" (and we're talking about the rear shocks not struts.) But all things are subject to the environment and use so you can never say never. Sometimes combinations of use, humidity, temperature, temp changes, etc. can cause oddities to happen.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Our car has NO Struts.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Soup - wouldn't that require removal of the bushings? (At least partial?)
Yes, but it's easy. Just two bolts hold each bushing bracket to the car. Unbolt, remove, grease, rebolt.

Would a liquid silicone spray be easier to apply? (I would imagine it would eventually migrate over the bushing.)
Won't last very long, and the carrier/liquid can attack the rubber.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had Zok sway bars installed about 18 months ago. This winter I was hearing horrible squeaking from the rear of the car when I went over speed bumps and the like. I finally got under the car and saw the sway bars had grease-able bushings. A few shots with the grease gun later and no more squeaks.

Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone have a pic or diagram of the bushing or part that could use a shot of grease-just want to make sure that I'm hitting the right parts? Many thanks .

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Does anyone have a pic or diagram of the bushing or part that could use a shot of grease-just want to make sure that I'm hitting the right parts? Many thanks .
This is an aftermarket one (yours will be all black) but the bushings are around the (red here) sway bar between the (black) bracket and the frame of the car - just to the right of center in this photo. Again, better to unbolt each bracket in turn and really get the grease inside, around the bar (remember - there's one on each side). Spraying them will only work partially:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've sprayed the rear bushings with volumes of lubricant to no avail, but still no improvement? So, my question is, does anyone know what may be making this squeaking noise-or the best way to diagnose it?

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Get a rubber hose and put one end in your ear as you lie near the back of the vehicle. Have someone else bounce it to make it squeak. Move the other end of the rubber hose around until you can track down the source/location of the squeak. (Obviously it will get louder as the end of the hose gets closer to the source.)

·
Registered
193 Posts
My car is squeaking as well. I need to do this.

chickenwire - have you done this to your car already?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts