Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Circumstances forced me to store my '08 GXP without being able to add Stabil. My question is would it be worth adding it when I pick it up from storage? It has been sitting in a converted limestone cave since September and I'm going to pull it out this Saturday.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Circumstances forced me to store my '08 GXP without being able to add Stabil. My question is would it be worth adding it when I pick it up from storage? It has been sitting in a converted limestone cave since September and I'm going to pull it out this Saturday.
Do you know how much gas do you have in the tank? I don't think adding Stabil at this time will help much. If you have room I would buy a fuel treatment to help with water condensation that may be in the tank and fill the rest of the tank with highest octane gas available. If the tank is full you should probably drive the car down to the 3/4 tank mark and then add some fresh gas. Let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I used Stabil once, and I will not use it again. :brentil: Terrible results. I just use the highest octane ethanol free gas I can find:thumbs: No probs since.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Agree with Dude. It's purpose is to prevent breakdown - adding now would be pointless. Also agree with Rob - I've head a lot of very mixed results with Stabil.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hard starts, and ran rough for about 2-3 tank fills. Until the Stabil was out of the system. :cuss: That was before I got Sol:yesnod: Never used it in the Solstice :thumbs:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use Seafoam quite a bit. Great for storage and cleaning. Northerntool has the best prices that I have seen. I put a can of it at least twice a year through all my vehicles.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I haven't had any problems with stabil but I have only used it in my small engines (tiller, lawn tractor, etc.) I've had friends complain about it in outboards and other small engines causing gumming in the carb and/or fuel system. Some of it seems to stem from ethanol blends. I suspect it may have been from older formulations of stabil that weren't necessarily designed to work with ethanol. I just know the bottle that I bought is probably 20 years old now and is still 1/3 full.

The stuff on the shelf now claims to be compatible with ethanol.

·
Super Moderator
16,396 Posts
I suspect that if there is water entrained in the fuel the Sta bil treatment may have a positive impact.

I believe it has inhibitors in it to help prevent formation of bad deposits. Not sure what the impact of those inhibitors might be after the fact.

My personal experience with long term storage is with my snow blower and my Harley. They have been known to sit for over a year with no additives, then start up just fine with no negative impacts. We do have very low humidity and in the case of the bike, the fuel injection system is less prone to problems with varnish formation as there is little to no air in the system after the tank.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have used Stabil for years and never had a problem. It will not do you any good to put it in now. I would start it up and see if it even starts. If so I would go run it until you get about 1/8 of a tank and then fill it up with fresh gas and never look back. If it is running rough a can of sea foam can help out but your best bet is to drain the tank and flush the fuel system with whatever floats your boat. Depending on your gas that is available in your area you should use the correct Stabil product. If you have more ethanol in your gas than E10 then you need the stabil for ethanol treatment. If less, the regular stuff will be just fine. From now on, use stabil or seafoam and you will be fine. It doesn't matter if you have high or low humidity in your area, gas still breaks down and will gum up sooner or later.

Chickenwire. Stabil is only good for about 2 years after you open it up. After that it starts to lose its effectiveness.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Generally speaking gas is quite stable. However, long term gasoline contamination is possible if enough time has passed and enough room for condensation to begin forming in the tank and migrating to the bottom of the fuel tank since water is heavier than gasoline and it's also where the fuel pick up system is located. If you're unsure how much gas was left in the tank you could take several gallons of fresh gasoline w/you in the hopes that any water contamination is mixed around w/the gasoline.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Have not used the stuff in the Solstice. Have two MG's that get put up for the winter, usually in late November. Never used a gas treatment. Decided to try it this past winter. Fired up the cars a week or so ago and when driving them, the exhaust fumes smelled like elephant puke! A fresh top off of gas seems to have solved that problem.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
We use Stabil every winter in the big boat and the miscellaneous other gas tanks scattered about the garage at our summer place in the northwoods. Everything up there sits unused for at least 8 months per year, and the big boat usually at least 11 months. We've never had any gasoline related starting problems as a result.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Interesting. Would this be considered storage or hibernation?

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
down here we don't have crazy freezing temperatures and long winters but I have left several cars and motorcycles sitting dormant for months at a time and as long as the gas doesn't smell like varnish, you're probably OK. if you can siphon the old gas out that's always best but if not, I'd add a few gallons of fresh gas and crank it up and drive it. after you go thru that gas, I'd run a tank with sea-foam in it and after that, you should be good. keep an eye on a rough idle and if so, change out the plugs. that's it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hard starts, and ran rough for about 2-3 tank fills. Until the Stabil was out of the system. :cuss: That was before I got Sol:yesnod: Never used it in the Solstice :thumbs:
Got an '09 GXP in January '09 and have been using Stabil for all of its long winter naps since then. Never any problem and it always fired right up and ran well for the first Spring start up. Go figure...

·
Registered
702 Posts
I suspect it may have been from older formulations of stabil that weren't necessarily designed to work with ethanol. I just know the bottle that I bought is probably 20 years old now and is still 1/3 full.
Just a suggestion...

The last couple of bottles of Stabil that I had were marked with a "use by" date, only 1 or 2 years into the future IIRC. You may not want to be using that 20 year old stuff -- or if you do, don't be surprised if it gives you problems. :devil:

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
RD - I generally don't use it but I appreciate the heads up. Makes a lot of sense (now that my dumb a$$ thinks about it!) I had only used it in the small engines as I said before and anymore I'm more inclined to drain them and blow out the carbs.

But as for other comments, yeah, it's always stunk when you fire them up in the spring.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Stabil vs Stabil

hello all-
Those of you who have had problems with stabil..are you using the red Stabil to treat ethanol gas?
That can reek havoc on anything with a carb..I store my bikes, boat MGA, the Austin Gipsy and the Solstice for the winter. I use a mixture of Startron and Marine Stabil (blue in color). never had a problem..just make sure the tanks are full. I should say that I only burn non ethanol gas in everything including the mowers , weedwhackers and the snowblowers. Adding stabilizers to non ethanol is probably overkill.but it can still break down in a few months. I fired up my Honda CX500cafe,stored since last October..started on the second flop..the other bikes usually are the same.
I had to put ethanol in the Sol at a gas stop, seemed to run fine with the 87,(slow burn)..I would never store my stuff for any long period with ethanol in it however. I know this doesn't help those who cannot get non ethanol.
Go to realgas.com for a listing of non ethanol stations in your location..you may be surprised..there are three here in the Adirondack boonies of NY!
Having said all that, I store my wife's Camry for the winter (Oct-Apr) and it started no problem with ethanol in the tank..I can't remember ,but I may have only added Startron..Go figure!
My wife says I have too much stuff.. huh..have you looked in the walk in closet lately? I took a load to goodwill today!
All the best,
JC

1 - 20 of 26 Posts