Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my stage 2 tune from rpm motor sports and I love it gained over 20 hp and got 265 fpt at the rear wheels and got rid of that factory turbo lag now getting 24 lb of boost 3 gear is a killer ready to eat a stock mustang any one else use rpm motor sports I would highly recommend them tune was a live tune through the Internet they send you a laptop and a hp tuner all done through Wi-Fi Took about 5 live runs to get it where the tuner was happy best $375 dollars I spent on my car shame I have Emissions Or I would have got rid of the cat and got more car runs great and no check engine light problems Anymore

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
You can get a High Flow Cat from Solo (HFC). It's still "emissions legal". I had mine dyno tuned and the tuner said if I had a HFC and an aftermarket intercooler (AM IC), I would have seen an easy 310hp (at the wheels).

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
You can get a High Flow Cat from Solo (HFC). It's still "emissions legal". I had mine dyno tuned and the tuner said if I had a HFC and an aftermarket intercooler (AM IC), I would have seen an easy 310hp (at the wheels).
Even if you didn't fit a higher capacity intercooler, you still hit the same output figure - you just wouldn't keep it as long when the intake air heated up.

Tune and the HFC are the magic on these cars - the rest is just minor (but nonetheless necessary if you slalom etc.) embellishments.

I'm sure you knew that Ghost, but wanted to be sure that a newby seeing this wouldn't think that the IC was absolutely necessary to get the power boost.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
My bad, yes, that's exactly what I meant. My car was "de-tuned" from 310hp on the dyno to a more manageable 286hp because of heat buildup in the IC.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
It is an interesting question of just what the heat capacity of the stock IC is (and of course it depends on outside temperature).

I believe I recall some of the solo types indicating that it was fine for the first run, but performance deteriorated after that if the runs were too close together. That would mean that the stock item should be fine for normal driving with the odd full throttle blast, but if you are the type that does repeated full throttle blasts on the street (and are still at large) you might want to buy a higher capacity IC.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Mine got heat soaked after 1 pull at 55 degrees outside. Tuner started mine at 40mph in 4th gear, full pull to 7k (about 124mph). Let it coast down from there to about 20mph and then let it idle. Fan was on "I could blow this car to 120mph by myself". I have never heard my fan blow that hard since! Noted: 310hp, 335ft./lbs. Then he did the second pull and had such bad knock, that he couldn't get the full pull. Stopped about 1/2 way through. He had to let the temps come down. He said my car was at 225 degrees after 1st pull (and it was about 55 degrees outside). He grabbed another fan after the failed pull and put right on the front of the car. Let it idle for about 2 minutes. Then did 2nd pull.....car still got too hot and had knock. So he dropped the fan start temp to 197degrees stage 1, 198 degrees for 2nd stage and 199 full fan. It was set at 210 degrees on my old tune. Then he made 3 more pulls giving it time to cool down to 195 degrees between pulls. Wound up 286hp was the most he could get as the car would get too hot and start to knock. After a full pull the car just gets too hot and gets too much engine knock with the stock IC. He did say that until I got both I should try to shy away from track or back to back drag races. And if I did do track to watch my temp and stop at or around 220 degrees. I've never had my car past 205 degrees since my tune. Even in hot weather with the A/C on. The fan settings just won't let it get that hot and I don't live in a rural enough area to be on the gas constantly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did put a high flow cat on from Magna flow same as the exhaust car has never gone over 205 ' thanks for the info

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Interesting. IIRC I used the stock IC until right after I changed the turbo and it worked fine for a single run (much as yours did) but I never bothered with any back to back runs as I was waiting for my larger IC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts