Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Stainless Works is proud to introduce our header for the 2005 Solstice. The header is all 304 s/s construction, tig welded, with a 3/8" cnc laser cut head flange, 1 5/8" cnc mandrel bent primary tubes, 2 1/2" collector, and tuned primary lengths. The header is available with a high flow metallic substrate converter and 2 11/2" connector pipe which connects to the stock exhaust, and we also offer an off road version with no converter. We will be selling the header kit with converter for $699, or $549 for the off road version. The kit includes the 02 extension harness and all required clamps. Dyno testing at Hutter's Performance in Chardon Ohio has show a RWHP gain of nearly 10 RWHP when combined with our cat back system. We believe that there is a lot of power left in dyno tuning this combination, as the stock tune is very lazy above 5000 RPM and gets extremely rich (10.8:1 A/F ratio).

As a special to forum members, we will offer the kit for $50 off and free shipping to the first ten customers. We also do installs at our shop in Auburn Ohio (located East of Cleveland). Our test car dyno'd stock with 178HP and 172 Ft/LB. Untuned, it made 187 HP and 181 FTLB (measured on a Mustang Dyno at Hutters)

We will have pictures on our website by early next week www.stainlessworks.net.

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
10-hp for $700 - not bad, I guess. :yesnod:

If you assume the Turbo, at 250-hp - gives an extra 73 ponies for $5k (just a swag), that comes to $69/hp.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wrong Year

Hope you change your advertisement to reflect the correct year. All the Sostice built are a 2006 model, was never a 2005 model.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
alstainlesswork: I sent you a PM about why I removed the contact information.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
MAKsys said:
10-hp for $700 - not bad, I guess. :yesnod: .
Dyno testing at Hutter's Performance in Chardon Ohio has show a RWHP gain of nearly 10 RWHP when combined with our cat back system.
To get the "near" 10 HP it takes the header and the Cat back exhaust. The Cat back is probably $400-$600, so expect $1,200 for that "almost" 10HP.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
LBJay:
I am glad you pointed that out, it sounded good until you read it needs the cat back to achive that 10HP.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
LatinVenom said:
LBJay:
I am glad you pointed that out, it sounded good until you read it needs the cat back to achive that 10HP.
Still sounds good to me. If this engine gets 10 WRHP not flywheel HP from headers and cat back then I'd say that's damn nice. Especially since he said that was untuned too. Add in an CAI as well for good measure and get it tuned, I bet you'll have some nice extra oomph.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Having been thru a few exhaust/header/muffer/cat mods, my experience is that any differences in accel times are almost zilch. I remeber a Corvette that was modified and tuned and picked up all of approx .10 sec in the quarter mile.
Generally, if you reduce backflow presure in the exhaust, you mostly move
the max torque and HP levels upwards, and lose low-end torque. My experience is that you mostly lose at the bottom what you gain at the top.
One of the muscle car magazines did installations several years ago of exhaust system mods (several complete systems, with changes to the computer chip as well), and the results on the track didn't impress me one bit.
Just because you increase the max HP doesn't mean you increase the HP
at all RPM levels.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
kingarthur said:
Having been thru a few exhaust/header/muffer/cat mods, my experience is that any differences in accel times are almost zilch. I remeber a Corvette that was modified and tuned and picked up all of approx .10 sec in the quarter mile.
Generally, if you reduce backflow presure in the exhaust, you mostly move
the max torque and HP levels upwards, and lose low-end torque. My experience is that you mostly lose at the bottom what you gain at the top.
One of the muscle car magazines did installations several years ago of exhaust system mods (several complete systems, with changes to the computer chip as well), and the results on the track didn't impress me one bit.
Just because you increase the max HP doesn't mean you increase the HP
at all RPM levels.
That's why I only buy products I've seen stock vs product dyno sheets for. Because as you said it's very easy to alter one value but at the expense of other areas if not done correctly.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Only the highly experienced can "butt dyno" the feel of less than 10HP.

Pick a Cat back exhaust to get the sound you want and consider any additional HP you might get a bonus.

·
Registered
397 Posts
alstainlesswork said:
...or $549 for the off road version.
I'm assuming he means not street legal version - not OFF-ROAD.

An off road Sol - now that would be interesting to see...Oh wait, I already have!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
SD SOL said:
An off road Sol - now that would be interesting to see...Oh wait, I already have!!! ;)
Yeah, mine's not on the road either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi Guys

The header and exhaust system combined was good for the results as shown. As far as acceleration tests, you also have to consider that we just don't reduce backpressure. With a header we are changing the primary length, and in effect tuning the pressure wave that determines how well the exhaust system as a whole scavenges. The OEM's are not dumb with respect to exhaust system design, but they are constrained by things like cold start converter light off-that is why the manifolds are so short and the converters are now bolted directly to the manifold. We can increase the tube length greatly, move the converter downstream, and improve power with no other negative effects. The power increase due to the cat back only is due to the lower backpressure-the OEM's have DOT drive by noise levels that they have to meet whereas aftermarket companies like Stainless Works do not have to meet these requirements.

As far as not improving acceleration, and only being concerned with peak power, nothing could be further from the truth. I would have to see the header comparison that you are referring to, but our GTO, C5, and CTSV header systems typically result in .3-.4 tenths reduction in quarter mile ET. And our headers were used by the C5 which won the One Lap a few years ago, Sam Strano in SCCA AutoX, and Mallet Cars. We also build private label products for several well known tuners/car builders. If there was no increase in performance, why would we sell a LOT of product to them? We also have dyno sheets here for 2005 Mustang, 2005 Hemi Magnum, C5 Corvette, CTSV-basically we dyno everything that we have the opportunity to do so, and we also change our designs based on the dyno results we receive.

If all we wanted to make was top end power for dyno bragging rights, we would build a header with a large diameter (1 7/8") primary with short tubes. This would make big top end power with no low end or mid range. Our headers are designed taking into account bore, stroke, runner lengths, HP level, etc. We computer model the engine to determine the optimal header tube length, diameter, and collector size, and we then see what we can package in the vehicle.

I can email anyone the dyno data in Excel if they wish to see it, but our header and cat back system made on average, 149 HP and 168 Ft Lbs. The car stock made, on average, 141 HP and 159 Ft llbs. We design headers to make good top end power AND the most area under the curve possible. The area under the curve will make the car accelerate better. I am pretty certain that a good tune will add 5-10 RWHP due to how rich the car was at WOT. And the reason we used the header and cat back together was that our reasoning was that most people that install a header will also do a cat back at the same time. The car stock made 141 avg RWHP, 159 RWFt#, with the cat back it made 144 , 163, with the header and cat back it made 149, 168. The largest gain came with the header. We wanted to dyno just the increase from the header but ran out of time and had to return the car to GM.

If anyone wants to have us install the header and dyno them at a local shop independently, we would be happy to do it.

As far as the butt dyno not feeling less than 10 RWHP, I would agree on a car making say 300-400 RWHP. But on a car making 177, it is over a 5% gain. Having driven the car I can tell you that it is noticeable, and again this is due to the area under the curve being higher all around.

BTW-Off road use only is what the EPA makes us label any product that does not have a converter-what you as the purchaser do with it is up to you. It would be interesting to see a Sol with the blazer 4x4 chassis that guys used to put vega bodies on-well, maybe not ;) . It is a really nice car as is!

Thanks
Al
Stainless Works

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
so, alstainlesssteelwork,

your original post is back calculated to engine horsepower, not rear wheel horsepower?

...Our test car dyno'd stock with 178HP and 172 Ft/LB. Untuned, it made 187 HP and 181 FTLB (measured on a Mustang Dyno at Hutters)
not busting your stuff, just making sure I understand. You stated in your last post:

...but our header and cat back system made on average, 149 HP and 168 Ft Lbs. The car stock made, on average, 141 HP and 159 Ft llbs. We design headers to make good top end power AND the most area under the curve possible....
so I assume the latter is RWhp, and the former post is back-calc'd to engine hp?

ALSO, are you running premium (>91 octane) fuel? Any way to do a dyno pull with 87 octane on the stock car?

I'm thinking I'd be very interested... in such a setup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All the numbers given are RWHP-measured on a Mustang Dyno. the difference is in the first post I reported the peak numbers. The second post to demonstrate the area under the curve difference, I reported average numbers-a dyno sheet from a Mustang Dyno will show Min, Max, and average numbers for torque and horsepower.

yes, all dyno pulls were done with premium fuel. I would like to have had more time with the car but we had to return it to GM after a week of development. I may end up buying one as I was really impressed with the car-IMHO it needs more power but was a great handling solid car-no cowl shake like I have experienced with other GM convertibles (4th gen f body).

If you are interested, PM me or email me at [email protected].

thanks
Al
Stainless Works

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
You have left out the price of the cat back or the whole package, can you provide this. Is your cat back dual exhaust and if not will you make one?.
I would also like to add a Procharger supercharger with intercooler running about 6psi, would you have an idea how much HP this setup would generate?.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Latin Venom

The cat back is a single 2 1/2" system-it retails for $399. It has a pretty aggressive exhaust note, and exits in the factory valence opening with a single 4" rolled edge slash cut tip.

We could build a true dual system but it will be every tight-the only way I think it could be done is to run both pipes through the tunnel where the single exhaust used to be run. A 3" single may be a better choice for you since dual pipes may be too tight or may not fit. Either way, we would have to have the car to do it for you unless we find a local customer wanting the same setup.

With the procharger and 6 psi of boost-It is really hard to say because it really depends on the tune. On a 2005 Mustang 4.6L, that a local custoemr of ours built, they went from 260RWHP to almost 400 RWHP with headers and the procharger. I believe that gains of about 50% on a chassis dyno are not unreasonable-so that would put your Sol at about 250-270.

Thanks
Al

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
alstainlesswork said:
Latin Venom

The cat back is a single 2 1/2" system-it retails for $399. It has a pretty aggressive exhaust note, and exits in the factory valence opening with a single 4" rolled edge slash cut tip.

We could build a true dual system but it will be every tight-the only way I think it could be done is to run both pipes through the tunnel where the single exhaust used to be run. A 3" single may be a better choice for you since dual pipes may be too tight or may not fit. Either way, we would have to have the car to do it for you unless we find a local customer wanting the same setup.

With the procharger and 6 psi of boost-It is really hard to say because it really depends on the tune. On a 2005 Mustang 4.6L, that a local customer of ours built, they went from 260RWHP to almost 400 RWHP with headers and the procharger. I believe that gains of about 50% on a chassis dyno are not unreasonable-so that would put your Sol at about 250-270.

Thanks
Al
I was thinking more of the dual exhaust coming from the muffler/ cat back as oppose to running dual pipes from the headers.
I do not want a 4 inch tip that would look horrible on this car.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts