Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, purchased a '07 GXP manual recently. It is a blast to drive. But it has an intermittent start issue. I have replaced the battery. If there is an ignition relay, I can't find it??? Dash lights come on, fuel pump, gauges but thats it. Could it be something other than the starter? Appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Check the clutch safety switch. They occasionally go bad and can cause the type of problem you are talking about. Search the forum you'll find a few threads about the issue.

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
Manual or auto?

In either case, open the Underhood Fuse Block and the Body Control Module (in the passenger footwell) and re-seat all of the fuses and all of the relays.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so I just read the replies. I didn't see that anyone had replied. I'm severely blogged challenged! Last Memorial weekend
I spent 4 hrs replacing the starter and of course that didn't solve the issue. Couple of weeks later I figured out it was the clutch
switch. Thank you for the replies, just wish I would read them 9 months ago, changing the starter was not a fun project to say the least. Thx again.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
I'm tempted to bypass the switch. I never start except in neutral or with the clutch disengaged, so am unlikely to have any issues that way.

I had my 88 Fiero switch fail one day and I couldn't start the car. In that case I found a paperclip on the floor of the car and managed to bypass the switch to start it. I later made that permanent and never had any problem.

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
Bypassing the switch seems like a bad idea unless no one else ever drives your car, and unless you restore it before you sell the car.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
Bypassing the switch seems like a bad idea unless no one else ever drives your car, and unless you restore it before you sell the car.
No one else ever drives any of my cars except for the odd mechanic who is warned (and hopefully not stupid enough to start a car in gear - on their dime).

Maybe it is just us older guys brought up before these idiot proof measures came about, but most of us manage to not run into walls on cars that never had these measures in the first place.

You are right, though - people today capable of using a manual transmission are a shrinking segment and the ones capable of doing it properly without damaging the transmissions and burning out the clutch is an even smaller group, so running into walls could well be in their repertoires.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
My first vehicle was an old Jeep Commanche with a stick. Clutch was frozen when we bought it and I watched my old man shift it into 4 low, put it in first and started it in gear about 10 feet in front of a tree. Bumped into the tree, snapped the clutch free and we were in business.

A couple of months after getting it on the road my clutch cable snapped. I remembered the lesson and did the same thing, rev-matching to shift up and got myself home from school. (Albeit quite slowly being in 4-low!)

I think back and I've had a total of 5 vehicles with a manual trans and I don't think I've ever accidentally turned the key without the clutch depressed more than once.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
My first vehicle was an old Jeep Commanche with a stick. Clutch was frozen when we bought it and I watched my old man shift it into 4 low, put it in first and started it in gear about 10 feet in front of a tree. Bumped into the tree, snapped the clutch free and we were in business.

A couple of months after getting it on the road my clutch cable snapped. I remembered the lesson and did the same thing, rev-matching to shift up and got myself home from school. (Albeit quite slowly being in 4-low!)

I think back and I've had a total of 5 vehicles with a manual trans and I don't think I've ever accidentally turned the key without the clutch depressed more than once.
My first car was a Fiero and the clutch switch was jumped because they were notorious for going bad. Didn't know how to drive a stick when I bought it and the switch was already jumped. My dad drove it home, thinking it was only a 3 speed (it had been years since he drove a stick...LOL). He tried started it with it in neutral and without pushing the clutch in. I finally tried to accidentally start it in gear about the 3rd year I owned it in my drive way.....scared the poop out of me because my parents brand new conversion van was in front of me.... "Missed it by that much!! - Maxwell Smart"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts