Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
Not sure what is happening with my 2007 “Mean Machine” GXP. Went to start her today. Depressed clutch, turned key and nothing. No sound or clicking like when you try to start her and battery is weak. Did it again and she started right up. Drove her and stopped after 30 minutes. Started her up again no prob. A bit of background....have had this happen a few times ( three or four times if memory is correct) over the last year. Battery died last week. I am guessing from a lack of driving ( I was away for a week in the Coupe). I boosted it, then trickle charged it and took her for a good 90 minute drive three days ago. All good. Put a new battery in her 4 years ago.

She is stored 6 months each year with battery disconnected. When I woke her up in the spring and connected the battery she started right up. A couple of weeks later battery died ( I had not driven her much since winter hibernation) Could my battery be on its last legs after four years? Appreciate all thoughts / feedback.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
...Could my battery be on its last legs after four years? ...
I'd say 'yes'.

not all batteries are created equal.

some have lasted 12 years, others 12 weeks.

But double checking the battery connections as suggested above is a good idea too

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
If you pull it out Northern you can take it in & get it tested for a bad cell. When i changed mine i had it done at the dealership & had them check the charging system at the same time. I use a trickle charger on mine all year round. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
The mistake is disconnecting the battery!!. It should be left on the car and a trickle charger put on it.

·
Super Moderator
6,249 Posts
There are people, and I think NS is one of them, who do not have access to power where they store their car. For them, disconnecting is the only valid option.
And I assume that you mean battery maintainer and not literally a trickle charger, as a trickle charger can easily overcharge and damage a battery.

I do suggest disconnecting power at the underhood fuse block instead of at the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mistake is disconnecting the battery!!. It should be left on the car and a trickle charger put on it.
I know. I have no access to power.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happened again today. She started right up ...all good. Went to Supermarket ( parked in the middle of no where of course) .... came back and nothing. Turned the key again and she started right up.

By the way. Thank you to everyone for weighing in on this. This is a truly amazing forum with so many knowledgeable members. A tremendous resource.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My Father's Ford Escape had this problem for years. Finally chased down the ignition switch gremlin.

In my 1970 Buick, this will happen, and it's a mechanical transmission gear selector issue. If you burnish the contacts by going through the gears (auto on the column) it will start up in a nanosecond. But otherwise, it's like trying to start in 'drive'. This of course is not your problem, but I mention it to illustrate the wacko things that can happen that aren't the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When it doesn't start, what happens when you switch to run, before trying to crank?
Nothing. Turn key...no sound no nothing. Turn her back and turn key again she starts right up as normal as can be?

·
Super Moderator
6,249 Posts
Nothing. Turn key...no sound no nothing. Turn her back and turn key again she starts right up as normal as can be?
The problem could be the ignition switch, but another possibility is the run/crank relay (51) in the underhood fuse block. It powers quite a lot.
Making sure it is seated is easy to do, and unplugging it and plugging it back in may help. You can rule it out if the transmission is in reverse and the backup light is on.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The problem could be the ignition switch, but another possibility is the run/crank relay (51) in the underhood fuse block. It powers quite a lot.
Making sure it is seated is easy to do, and unplugging it and plugging it back in may help. You can rule it out if the transmission is in reverse and the backup light is on.
Very interesting. Other problem I sometimes get is she does not want to go into reverse. In order to get her into R I have to go into 1st gear and move a tiny bit forward and then I can go into R. Does not happen a lot but it happens. Could this be part of the problem?

·
Super Moderator
6,249 Posts
Assuming that you have a manual transmission, the reverse issue is non-electrical, pretty common, and not related to your starting problem. For a manual, the clutch position is the only thing that inhibits starting, and nothing prevents the car from powering.

You said that there was no sound, no nothing. Does that include the radio? If the radio will not turn on with the key on the problem is almost certainly the switch. There is one switch contact that activates the BCM, and it is the BCM that enables the radio.

What I have found works best for getting into reverse is to push in the clutch and almost simultaneously shift into reverse. It seems to work every time. You want the gear to still be turning as it tries to engage, but not very much. If you shift too quickly you will hear or feel the slight catch or grind, and if you wait too long you may not get the gear to mesh.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Very interesting. Other problem I sometimes get is she does not want to go into reverse. In order to get her into R I have to go into 1st gear and move a tiny bit forward and then I can go into R. Does not happen a lot but it happens. Could this be part of the problem?
yeah - I have this issue with my stick convertible on occasion... I ignore this...

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Common. I believe the owners manual even mentions "double clutching" - pushing the clutch pedal in twice before attempting to put the gear shift into reverse.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah - I have this issue with my stick convertible on occasion... I ignore this...
This is good news and I will ignore it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts