Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,060 Posts
Good news. I'm glad that they found the problem so quickly. I am curious though, did the dealer call it a clutch switch? It is actually an analog position sensor.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Good news. I'm glad that they found the problem so quickly. I am curious though, did the dealer call it a clutch switch? It is actually an analog position sensor.
I called it a clutch switch and they rolled with me. They did a search for the part and as I mentioned they had to order from USA. It is a back order here. They did not charge me for today and did a tire and fluid check to boot. I am going to mention to my service advisor that it is an “analog position sensor” just to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
6,060 Posts
I called it a clutch switch and they rolled with me. They did a search for the part and as I mentioned they had to order from USA. It is a back order here. They did not charge me for today and did a tire and fluid check to boot. I am going to mention to my service advisor that it is an “analog position sensor” just to be sure.
I really expect that they will know that, since one step in the installation is to calibrate it, which would not be needed for a switch.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Chicken Wire. They have diagnosed it as a CLUTCH SWITCH. $12.00 part that they have to get from USA. Will take a week and a bit to get here. Having two Sols is paying off!!!!! I am bringing her home until part comes in. They have quoted hour and a half of labour. Looks like it will be around $200 total so not bad. Thanks again to everyone for their help on this and major kudos to JohnWR and Chickenwire.👍
Glad you found the solution. For $200.00 I'd come up to the great white north and change it out for you! lol

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I really expect that they will know that, since one step in the installation is to calibrate it, which would not be needed for a switch.
John - is it a "proximity" sensor? Honestly I understand the function of the "switch" but didn't know if it was a physical "switch" or a sensor.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Glad you found the solution. For $200.00 I'd come up to the great white north and change it out for you! lol
Hey, I’m in Windsor so not far. Come on over. I might even be south of you. (Lol):smile2:

·
Super Moderator
6,060 Posts
John - is it a "proximity" sensor? Honestly I understand the function of the "switch" but didn't know if it was a physical "switch" or a sensor.
It sends a 0-5V signal to the BCM, but I do not know if it is solid state or some sort of variable resistor. The manual doesn't say what it is, only what it does.

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
It sends a 0-5V signal to the BCM, but I do not know if it is solid state or some sort of variable resistor. The manual doesn't say what it is, only what it does.
Are you sure it's an analog level device? Both of my schematics (2006 NA & 2008 GXP) show it as a simple switch.

Also, but slightly unrelated, a google search seems to indicate it is a commonly used device - so common that AutoZone (etc) carries them: https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/clutch-pedal-ignition-lock-switch/pontiac/solstice. And see description from O'Reilly's: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/acdelco-2729/lighting---electrical-16777/switches-16486/body-switches-25096/clutch-switch-11832/9066d14859aa/acdelco-2-terminal-switch/d2202d/2491808/2007/pontiac/solstice?pos=2

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Are you sure it's an analog level device? Both of my schematics (2006 NA & 2008 GXP) show it as a simple switch.

Also, but slightly unrelated, a google search seems to indicate it is a commonly used device - so common that AutoZone (etc) carries them: https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/clutch-pedal-ignition-lock-switch/pontiac/solstice. And see description from O'Reilly's: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/acdelco-2729/lighting---electrical-16777/switches-16486/body-switches-25096/clutch-switch-11832/9066d14859aa/acdelco-2-terminal-switch/d2202d/2491808/2007/pontiac/solstice?pos=2
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a common switch, especially if it's only $12.00. (You can bet your a$$ if it were Solstice specific it would be a helluva lot more expensive!)

·
Super Moderator
6,060 Posts
Are you sure it's an analog level device? Both of my schematics (2006 NA & 2008 GXP) show it as a simple switch......
Well, I have now either learned to not assume that anything was kept consistent from year-to-year, or to not trust my service manuals. Or both.
I will definitely be checking the year more thoroughly in the future.

My 2006 Solstice and 2007 Sky Service Manuals both identify the clutch pedal position devices as simple switches.
My 2008 M-Car Service Manual identifies it a an analog sensor. Either my manual or yours is incorrect, but I have not yet looked to see what I actually have.

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
Weak Battery

I'd say 'yes'.

not all batteries are created equal.

some have lasted 12 years, others 12 weeks.

But double checking the battery connections as suggested above is a good idea too
Down here in the desert, my batteries last 3 years max. I have tried optimas but they do not last any longer. Now I just buy the cheapest battery I can find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. New to the forum partly because I'm at wits end. 2008 GXP that won't always start. As others have noted, dash lights and radio come on then I turn the ignition and nothing. I've had it towed 4 times because of this. Mechanic diagnosed as clutch ignition switch? He has replaced twice but it still is happening. He showed me that I can turn ignition and jump on clutch a few times until it cranks. That saved me a tow bill tonight but this is really frustrating. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Went to dealership yesterday and the wrong part came in. Will go back in two weeks when new part arrives. I am not freaking out as she is not acting up as much. As per advice from dealership I make sure I depress clutch hard and all the way down. She then, 95% of the time starts up right away. Will update once part arrives.

·
Super Moderator
6,060 Posts
Hi all. New to the forum partly because I'm at wits end. 2008 GXP that won't always start. As others have noted, dash lights and radio come on then I turn the ignition and nothing. I've had it towed 4 times because of this. Mechanic diagnosed as clutch ignition switch? He has replaced twice but it still is happening. He showed me that I can turn ignition and jump on clutch a few times until it cranks. That saved me a tow bill tonight but this is really frustrating. Thoughts?
If the radio turns off while you are holding the key in the start position, the ignition switch is working.

Pumping the clutch pedal suggests the the (switch or sensor) on the pedal is not working, and may need to be (adjusted or calibrated). It may also be loose, so you could contort yourself under the steering wheel to check it.
Went to dealership yesterday and the wrong part came in. Will go back in two weeks when new part arrives. I am not freaking out as she is not acting up as much. As per advice from dealership I make sure I depress clutch hard and all the way down. She then, 95% of the time starts up right away. Will update once part arrives.
Do you know what they ordered, or what it should have been? As I read the manuals, the '07 is supposed to be a switch, but the '08 is analog. TS had some different information, so I am really curious about what you actually have.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hello JohnWR,
They ordered a “clutch pedal position switch”. That was not what was needed. They have now ordered a “clutch pedal start switch”.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Went to the dealership this morning. Told them that she has started every time with no issue for the last two weeks since they adjusted clutch. They told me not to bother replacing part. They said that sometimes when you adjust the clutch that is the end of problem. They are going to hang on to part and if this happens just once ......back to dealership she goes for the part. At this point, I am saving about $200 not getting this done. I like my dealership. Gus Revenburg Windsor. I am doing a road trip in a month so plenty of time to monitor doing local driving. The money can go towards new shoes for my Coupe.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts