Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:devil:

(I would start this a poll, but I couldn't figure out how to start one)

Everything I've read said that the dealer was going to start accepting orders at 2PM (says right at the bottom of the page on the apprentice webpage), but I know at my dealer (and I'm sure a lot of others), there were people who faxed over their apprentice ID's or dropped them off early that morning, while me and 2 other guys were actually there before 2PM and waited around until after 3PM thinking that the dealer wouldn't accept anything until 2.

Shouldn't all of these people that didn't even have the fortitude to be there and wait get kicked out of the first 1000? It seems only fair that you must be present to win.

·
Registered
45 Posts
skyhigh said:
:devil:

(I would start this a poll, but I couldn't figure out how to start one)

Everything I've read said that the dealer was going to start accepting orders at 2PM (says right at the bottom of the page on the apprentice webpage), but I know at my dealer (and I'm sure a lot of others), there were people who faxed over their apprentice ID's or dropped them off early that morning, while me and 2 other guys were actually there before 2PM and waited around until after 3PM thinking that the dealer wouldn't accept anything until 2.

Shouldn't all of these people that didn't even have the fortitude to be there and wait get kicked out of the first 1000? It seems only fair that you must be present to win.
My dealer told me that I did not necessarily need to be present to put in the order since I had given him all of my information prior to that. I was present anyway - one, because I wanted to be and two, because one of his reps suggested that all customers be present just in case something would need to be verified.

Since it wasn't a requirement, I would say that it would be asking alot to kick people off the list just because they weren't present. It is hard to say why they weren't able to be present - perhaps their job did not allow them to take time off to go buy a car or family commitments required them to be somewhere else.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Good point....same thing happened at my dealer...fortunately all those purchasers were waitlisted. They had either emailed or faxed in their Apprentice number and I assume had previously submitted a deposit. The dealer used their date of deposit to determine who was first, second, etc. Fortunately, I was second and also there in person and got the dealer to logon at 1:30pm EST from several computers and he was ready to go at 2pm. Logging into solstice1000.com before the 2pm start time seemed to give me a slight advantage...since it sounds like most dealers got stuck at the log in for some 20-30 minutes. Granted the tab for placing the order wasn't valid til 2pm...but at least we were one step ahead of most.

At this stage there would be virtually no way to verify who was present and who was not in order to disqualify anyone. Game over.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
mcbman said:
If you go to
http://www.pontiac.com/apprentice/

It clearly states:
** Dealership visit is required and a deposit required to place an order. Dealers will begin accepting orders at 2 pm Eastern Time, April 15, 2005.

at the bottom of the webpage
That is true. But a lot of dealers had people "visit the dealership" and leave a deposit months in advance, due to very strong interest in the car. As far as I know, most dealers were willing to consider this as an acceptable means of meeting the contest requirements, and allowed those customers to fax or phone in their codes.

In order to do anything about this issue, you would first have to get the dealers to tell GM if the person showed up in person or not. And why would the dealers admit that the person wasn't there, when the result is that they will lose some of their EOP orders?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mcbman said:
If you go to
http://www.pontiac.com/apprentice/

It clearly states:
** Dealership visit is required and a deposit required to place an order. Dealers will begin accepting orders at 2 pm Eastern Time, April 15, 2005.

at the bottom of the webpage
That's what I saw. This sounds like everyone should have been there as early as they wished to get their spot and the dealer should determine order based on the ones still there at 2 when he is supposed to start accepting orders. I just feel like the people who actually waited at the dealership deserve it more than someone faxing in an order.

Of course I also believe that forum members here (and whoever else has been following the car for a while) who actually know something about the car deserve one a lot more than the casual Apprentice viewer on an impulse. The only person at my dealer who got a car was #3 in line, and hadn't even heard of the car until HIS WIFE told him to get her that car!

I've entered many contests that the winner had to be there in order to claim the prize, and if my name were drawn and I wasn't there, it's my fault.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dengel said:
In order to do anything about this issue, you would first have to get the dealers to tell GM if the person showed up in person or not. And why would the dealers admit that the person wasn't there, when the result is that they will lose some of their EOP orders?
But my point is that Pontiac should give that person's EOP car to the next person that was actually there. Like I said earlier, the only person at my dealer who got a car was #3 (I was #4). The first 2 weren't even there, and the dealer couldn't input their orders because it was coming back as invalid. If there had been a rule that the person had to be there, those first 2 people's invalid orders wouldn't have slowed the entry, and I might have gotten a car. The dealer wasted a lot of time after he got in trying to get their numbers to work, wasted time that could have input my number which was valid. I kept telling him to go on to the next number, but he wouldn't.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sky...I'm sure those EOP buyers were instructed by their dealer that they didn't need to be there...otherwise I'm sure they would have been there in person. I didn't want to leave anything to chance so I was there in person (even if the dealer had offered me the option). So...you're lucky. There could have been 3 guys in front of you hounding the dealer to get their orders in and when the screen for VOM came up....they could have wanted to spec out the car even further slowing down your opportunity to be put in queue. What would you have done if there were 10 people off the street who walked in when the dealership opened? You'd have been in an even worse position. Even with all the problems on the EOP, knowing that there were only 1000 which did not guarantee anything to anyone....everyone should have been prepared for PLAN B...buy one of the dealers normal allocation!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there had been 10 people in front of me, that would be a lot easier to take than only 1 person in front of me with 2 other's not even being there to stand up for themselves. I could live with being #11 and not getting a chance, that would be my fault for not getting there that much ealier. I just thought I was trying to play be the rules and be present. Being #2 there in line is much harder to swallow, especially when time was wasted on 2 people whose ID's weren't valid.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I feel your frustration. I was right there and know first hand how absolutely fu%ked up the entire solstice1000 site was. It was a complete disaster in my book.

Let's do the math....2000 dealers all logon at 2pm. They have one terminal going and at the same time submit the final confirmation for 2000 cars. 50% of those 2000 submission would get the first 1000 EOPs and 50% would go to the waitlist. This contest could have been over in minutes and only the first person the dealer attempted to get an EOP would have had a 50% chance....beyond that...2nd, 3rd...etc would have all been waitlist. Your outcome would have been the same unless you were number 1 in the queue.

Did you have a backup plan to get a normal allocation unit?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm the dealer's #4 person to get a regular allocation, so I'm not worried about that. I see your point about the math, but in reality, some dealers got all 5 of their EOP cars, a lot got more than 1, most got none, therefore this scenario isn't really the case. All I'm saying is that if you had be required to be there (in which I still believe is the case, see above posts), 10 minutes wouldn't have been wasted on those first 2 people at my dealer, and then I would have had a much better chance of getting one, even the guy behind me may have. I'm sure this is the case a lot of other dealers, as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts