Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Solstice ordered in Apr.
Scheduled to be delivered during first week of November.
Anniversary Gift...........
Verbal agreement to purchase at MSRP
Now dealer trying to mark up car 5K

Mandal Pontiac, Buick, GMC in Ocean Springs, MS......JERKS!!!!!

:cuss: :brentil: :cuss: :brentil:

·
Registered
201 Posts
If he cancels they'll just mark it up to make their money off some other sucker. I'd cause a media stink first, and then walk away if they didn't drop the price. Put the threat to do so on the table and see what they'll do to avoid it.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
oh more the reason to get it in writing...verbals are fine till the car comes in..then when you sit down..the deal changes....had a written agreement since May when I ordered.....sorry the dealer is being a jerk...make noise make lots of noise.....take to the owner directly.....go to the top....tell GM...tell them you are complaining to GM....call everyone!!!!...see how the dealer reacts!!!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
PAO said:
oh more the reason to get it in writing...verbals are fine till the car comes in..then when you sit down..the deal changes....had a written agreement since May when I ordered.....sorry the dealer is being a jerk...make noise make lots of noise.....take to the owner directly.....go to the top....tell GM...tell them you are complaining to GM....call everyone!!!!...see how the dealer reacts!!!
Agree, make a stink call GM customer service and tell dealer you are raising hell and see if he backs down.

All these guys were more than willing to sign people up at MSRP when they had no idea what Solstice was but their song changed now. Everyone else get your deals in writing even if it's written on a napkin.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry to hear of the problems. If all else fails add their name to the National Solstice Dealer Boycott List @ [email protected]. I did this when my dealer tried the same approach. He backed off saying he was just "joking" when I showed him his name on the list. (since removed). Desparate times call for desparate measures. (George Steinbrenner, I think!!)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Bandit1978 said:
Solstice ordered in Apr.

Boy this would really PI** me off! I really don't know how people like this live with themself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bandit1978 said:
Solstice ordered in Apr.

For months I've been reading threads about dealer mark-up well past MSRP. I'm glad I have a trustworthy dealer!! In April, when I ordered mine, I was talking to my dealer (a friend) about price, we were kidding around about how jazzed I was and how much he was going to hammer me on mark-up. Then he said GM's plan was to design a "sports car" with a lower price point to compete in the market with superior bang for the buck. Here's the part that I'm foggy on but I'm sure that he said GM sent out a memo stating that they did not want dealers marking this car up. If they did they would be in jepardy in losing future allocations. Has anyone else heard anything like this? If there was a memo it doesn't sound like GM is holding anyones feet to the fire......I guess WE THE PEOPLE will just have to spank these scum bags....give 'em some free advertising and direct our fellow Solstians to reputable dealers.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
ARKTEK said:
For months I've been reading threads about dealer mark-up well past MSRP. I'm glad I have a trustworthy dealer!! In April, when I ordered mine, I was talking to my dealer (a friend) about price, we were kidding around about how jazzed I was and how much he was going to hammer me on mark-up. Then he said GM's plan was to design a "sports car" with a lower price point to compete in the market with superior bang for the buck. Here's the part that I'm foggy on but I'm sure that he said GM sent out a memo stating that they did not want dealers marking this car up. If they did they would be in jepardy in losing future allocations. Has anyone else heard anything like this? If there was a memo it doesn't sound like GM is holding anyones feet to the fire......I guess WE THE PEOPLE will just have to spank these scum bags....give 'em some free advertising and direct our fellow Solstians to reputable dealers.
They (GM) don't have any legal recourse to hold the dealers' feet to the fire. It is your protection from price fixing. (no kidding) As a free market franchise the dealer can charge market price if they can get away with it. It is stongly suggested that dealers stick to MSRP and because the dealers had to pay to participate in the Apprentice program they (GM) have a little more legal clout on those 1000 cars. Not what everyone wants to hear, but its the American way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Perhaps he was confused about 1K and first allocation.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Gee! I think Maine Dealers are alot nicer than the rest of America.

M.S.R.P. no matter what, on any Solstice. Mark O'leary 207-284-4555.

BROWN PONTIAC. Saco Maine. Why deal with Crooks, You could make it a trip to Vacationland, enjoy Our Maine Coast, And get a Great deal on a 2006 Solstice. Mitch :cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bandit1978 said:
Solstice ordered in Apr.
Bandit, did you leave a deposit? If so, you have a contract. Assuming you want the car, tell them that it's a contract and you will not pay a dime more than MSRP. You live in the GREAT STATE OF MS - don't let your dealer forget that.

If you didn't leave a deposit, you'll need to proceed as outlined by some of the others.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree with letting them know that you plan on informing the media, the Chamber of Commerce, and anyone else that will listen that you were treated unfairly. Also be sure GM's customer service is also apprised of the matter.

If they didn't decide to do the right thing, then I would find one of the honest dealers and give them your business. It may take a while longer, but don't give them the satisfaction of being able to bend you over! :cuss: :brentil:

Good luck

·
Registered
138 Posts
That is what I was told, too.

ARKTEK said:
Yeppers. That is what my dealer was told, and he passed that along to me. My dealer made an issue that the price was the window sticker as GM wanted to get as many of these on the road as possible. Since that time I have canceled my order and my deposit was refunded without question. But the policy was made clear to all the dealers. Run from this guy! Even if he comes back down to window sticker, you have more problems with him in the future.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
There were at least two different letters sent by GM to the dealers urging them to sell the Solstice at MSRP without mark-up. there were a lot of explanations about the Solstice's intended role of improving Pontiac's damaged image and bringing customers back to Pontiac and GM.

I know conejo posted one of the letters back in September, and there was at least one more earlier than September. Maybe that one was posted by Small Dealer?

Well, I'm too tired to look for them now, I've got to get to bed.

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Talk about scummy dealers, look at what mogo's dealer is doing.

Car due to arrive soon, dealer wants to delay delivery to mogo until the NEXT Solstice arrives, who knows how long that will be!

Here's some chances for Pontiac to step up to bat: Redirect mogo's and bandit's vehicles to DIFFERENT dealers to make delivery (and the profit for selling at MSRP). Would the slimy dealer sue Pontiac? Let them. They will lose. Pontiac owns the car until delivered to the dealer. (Not sure if it's FOB shipping point or FOB dealer, so that's an important factor.)

Come on, Pontiac, hit a home run!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I got it in writing!

After reading some of the horror stories about unscrupulous dealers ripping off customers, I'm so glad I have everything in writing for MSRP. Also, I found out last month that my dealer isn't taking any more orders. I believe the dealer took 20 orders. Now, it may be that cars arriving at the dealer that were ordered for customers that back out could be sold off the lot for more than MSRP. If that's the case, I really don't have much of a problem with it because the car should sell for the price of what the market demands. Cars ordered for customers should never go for more than MSRP.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Bandit1978 said:
Solstice ordered in Apr.

I always heard that a verbal agreement was worth the paper it was written on, ALWAYS when working with car dealers get things in writing...Even if you have done business with them for years, it is only good business practice... and any dealer that won;t put it in writing is one you need to stay away from anyway.

I would inform him that you will put his dealership name on the boycot list and you will cost hime much more than 5k in sales with word of mouth and internet sites...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.