Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one looks better? I like the two tone cause of the different color contrast, makes the car more detailed from the outside :cool:

·
Registered
753 Posts
the tones on the interiors are not exactly the same. on an ebony interior you get different shades of black- dark grey. very handsome. on the cloth interior the cloth is a fine black/grey weave that goes very nicely with the black dash and carpets. also very nice.
full disclosure requires that i tell you that i have an ebony leather interior. i ordered my without seeing it and i felt ebony leather would be a safe choice. with that admission, my opinion is that the ebony leather looks best, cloth looks geat, but the 'steel and sand' doesn't look as rich as the darker colors. the second '1st 1k' car that came to my dealer was a cool silver exterior (like mine) with a 'steel and sand' interior. the sales people couldn't wait to show me that interior because they thought the ebony leather was so much nicer. i agree, it was nicer. there are plenty of comments on the forum about "the plastic looking cheap", and i can't help but wonder how many of these people are thinking of the steel/sand interiors when they say it.
this is my opinion only, and the salespeople could have been stroking me only, but my choices for interior would be ebony or cloth. try to see them all and decide for yourself.
and a word of caution- do not rely on pictures in print or on the web. color is hard to reproduce in print and web, and some of the web pictures of the steel and sand are not even close to the actual colors

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...s&s

I have the black body with the sand and steel leather interior. I love it and get compliments about the interior from everyone who sees it (unsolicited ones I might add). It breaks up the darkness of the black outside just right.
:cool:

·
2,574 Posts
cdb said:
the tones on the interiors are not exactly the same. on an ebony interior you get different shades of black- dark grey. very handsome. on the cloth interior the cloth is a fine black/grey weave that goes very nicely with the black dash and carpets. also very nice.
full disclosure requires that i tell you that i have an ebony leather interior. i ordered my without seeing it and i felt ebony leather would be a safe choice. with that admission, my opinion is that the ebony leather looks best, cloth looks geat, but the 'steel and sand' doesn't look as rich as the darker colors. the second '1st 1k' car that came to my dealer was a cool silver exterior (like mine) with a 'steel and sand' interior. the sales people couldn't wait to show me that interior because they thought the ebony leather was so much nicer. i agree, it was nicer. there are plenty of comments on the forum about "the plastic looking cheap", and i can't help but wonder how many of these people are thinking of the steel/sand interiors when they say it.
this is my opinion only, and the salespeople could have been stroking me only, but my choices for interior would be ebony or cloth. try to see them all and decide for yourself.
and a word of caution- do not rely on pictures in print or on the web. color is hard to reproduce in print and web, and some of the web pictures of the steel and sand are not even close to the actual colors

When I attended the Boston Ride and Drive in August, I had an opportunity to shoot the bull at the end of the day with several of the drivers who had been with the Solstice program for two and one half years. In unison they told me to order the ebony or I'd be forever sorry due to the GLARE that they ALL said was a major problem from the light colored dash of the two tone sand and steel. I took their word for it and ordered ebony. ;)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...you're joking, right?

birdliver said:
When I attended the Boston Ride and Drive in August, I had an opportunity to shoot the bull at the end of the day with several of the drivers who had been with the Solstice program for two and one half years. In unison they told me to order the ebony or I'd be forever sorry due to the GLARE that they ALL said was a major problem from the light colored dash of the two tone sand and steel. I took their word for it and ordered ebony. ;)
What glare? It's a flat painted beige color with flat gray contrasting accents. There is no glare except from the plastic chrome gauge rings, that also come with the black interiors. I have driven mine with top down in full sunlight. No glare, no problem. I love the sand and steel. Gives my black sol some cheerfulness. I am tired of gray and black interiors. They are sooooo common. For those who like them, enjoy, but for me, lighter is better. Especially with a black car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Glare Trades?

I note from the photos that the ebony interior has a lighter color grey – almost silver – tone around the gages and right in the face of the driver, which might pose a glare issue on a bright day. The two tone interior has lighter surfaces in front of the passenger, and darker grey around the gages. So I suspect the issue is balanced between the two options. We need some owner input on this issue!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...it's chrome

Tuxford said:
I note from the photos that the ebony interior has a lighter color grey – almost silver – tone around the gages and right in the face of the driver, which might pose a glare issue on a bright day. The two tone interior has lighter surfaces in front of the passenger, and darker grey around the gages. So I suspect the issue is balanced between the two options. We need some owner input on this issue!
I am an owner. It's chromed plastic around the gauges on both interiors. So there is no difference in the rings.

·
2,574 Posts
RichSol said:
What glare? It's a flat painted beige color with flat gray contrasting accents. There is no glare except from the plastic chrome gauge rings, that also come with the black interiors. I have driven mine with top down in full sunlight. No glare, no problem. I love the sand and steel. Gives my black sol some cheerfulness. I am tired of gray and black interiors. They are sooooo common. For those who like them, enjoy, but for me, lighter is better. Especially with a black car.

NO, I'm not joking, as I said I'm simply reporting what several professional drivers with the Solstice program went out of their way to caution me about or didn't I make myself clear. Sorry you don't want to hear what I was told. I rode in an Agressive Sol that day for about two hours but it's interior was ebony leather. Maybe all these drivers were just making it up. They sure sounded serious to me. Sorry but I'm not making it up either! :lol:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...don't get excited

birdliver said:
NO, I'm not joking, as I said I'm simply reporting what several professional drivers with the Solstice program went out of their way to caution me about or didn't I make myself clear. Sorry you don't want to hear what I was told. I rode in an Agressive Sol that day for about two hours but it's interior was ebony leather. Maybe all these drivers were just making it up. They sure sounded serious to me. Sorry but I'm not making it up either! :lol:
I believe you. I'm just saying I have the sand and steel and there is no glare from it. I don't why they told you that. Maybe somebody waxed their dash. lol

·
2,574 Posts
RichSol said:

By the way ask any boater what the greatest source of glare is on his boat and he'll tell you light colored dash of non shiny material similar to the light sand dash of the Sol. Constantly reported in "Powerboat Reports" as a leading cause of reflection in boaters eyes from sun and water. I'm still not making it up. :lol:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...oh really?

birdliver said:
By the way ask any boater what the greatest source of glare is on his boat and he'll tell you light colored dash of non shiny material similar to the light sand dash of the Sol. Constantly reported in "Powerboat Reports" as a leading cause of reflection in boaters eyes from sun and water. I'm still not making it up. :lol:
You wouldn't like my boat then...it's all white, including the cockpit (like most boats are). Have you guys ever heard of sunglasses? lol

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I Have To Agree With Richsol, My Two Other Cars Have Grey Inside Its Refreshing To See Different Shades For Once. I Ordered Black With Ebony I Got To See One Live I Changed My Order To Two Tone Three Darker Greys All Look The Same To Me.

·
2,574 Posts
Tuxford said:
My input regarding the glare from the sand and steel interior comes from several professional drivers whose company is contracted by Pontiac to staff the ride and drive program. They set up courses around the country for test driving the Solstices as well as drive them themselves. According to them they have countless hours behind the wheels of the Solstice mules. This is the only caveat that they offered me. I did not solicit this response from them. It was offered by them as the one caution they had about buying a Solstice when I told them that I was planning to order one. If that isn't relative input then wait for random buyers to offer their opinion however it may come a little late. Again, it's just a heads up, which apparently isn't worth mentioning to some folks. I'll be happy to keep future unsolicited tips from unimpeachable sources to myself.

·
2,574 Posts
RichSol said:
You wouldn't like my boat then...it's all white, including the cockpit (like most boats are). Have you guys ever heard of sunglasses? lol

Probably not. I'm sure it's one that "Powerboat Reports" com. found fault with if they reviewed it. Read any boating publication and you may learn that "entire helm dash is dark to reduce glare" (recent PBR review on the Carver 36 motor yacht- march '05). Because of reviews like "PBR" the boat building industry is finally getting the message. Trust me the next boat you buy will have a darker "glare resistant" dash. Just in case your shades go into the drink. :lol:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have to agree with cdb in regards to the Sand and Steel being washed out, especially from preliminary pics we all saw. I've seen it in person, and it is much lighter than I expected (the vehicle's owner said the same thing). I have had nearly 100% compliments on the Ebony interior, and it does provide a contrast of it's own with the console and dash color - at least enough to make me happy.

But ... in the end, it is an "eye of the beholder" thing, of course. I really believe it's nearly impossible to make this car look bad, no matter what color combinations were ordered from the factory.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Tuxford said:
The darker gray is still lighter than the lighter color of the Ebony interior

1 - 20 of 39 Posts