Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just does not seem right. It is high on one side and low on the other. Would this be an easy fix, or should I just leave well enough alone?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I jumped up to look at mine and it is even. That would drive me nuts. :(
Yeah, I'm kind of like that too.
Something must have gone on because I climbed under the dash, and the kick panel needed to be pushed back up and over the molding edge. Every now and then, when I wore boots I could feel my toe scraping it. The piece in question does not move with the bare hand.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Had mine off and on a number of times. From memory there are a couple of screws underneath (screwing upward) and then the top piece is clipped on to the bottom piece.

I had a couple of photos here, but not too useful I'm afraid: Custom Ultragauge mount

Bottom line, it's pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok It turns out it's a bit complicated. It looks like the turn signal stem's collar was compromised. My guess is it was forced. When I got in there the stem and the collar was still together, but all the plastic tabs were bent, broken, or stress cracked. I'll have to replace it.

I have a couple concerns. First, I am doing this right, right? The cover goes behind the washer stem collar (what I have in red) and over the ignition switch right? After I tightened everything up the ignition cylinder was tight. The column cover goes completely over the ignition switch, right? Why is the key tight?

Next it seems like the light stem is much higher than the washer stem. Does this look normal?
High on left side

Low on right side

While I'm at it, does everyone has this bolt into the driver's cabin? It looks kind of dangerous on a road trip or when pulling the mats out, no?

So in the end, before I can get it right, I'll have to replace the turn signal stem because the collar is broken. That seems to offer a considerable amount of importance in holding it all together. Do I need to disconnect the car's battery or can I just unscrew the Signal stem, plug and play?

Before

After

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Obviously someone's futzed with your column switches and they're not on right. I think you'll just have to get everything loosened and reseat it. Definitely looks like left left switch is higher than the right and it shouldn't be. Probably why your key is tight - more pressure on it than there should be.

The bolt in the driver footwell should be there, but it's normally covered by a plastic/rubber 'cap' - makes it less noticeable - see #7 on this diagram:

Cost you a couple bucks: CAP. Rear View Mirror. COVER. Floor Pan. RETAINER. Folding Top Compartment. 2008 Pontiac Solstice TURBO 2 DR CONVERTIBLE # 15258691

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks once again for all your help and experience. Maybe a dumb question, but can I just go to work in there moving the stems, or should I disconnect the battery?

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Hmmm... well *I* probably wouldn't disconnect the battery myself, but then I enjoy living dangerously :)

Seriously, though, I would disconnect it if I were you :) There's constant 12V there to the ignition switch and you'll be moving things around in close proximity to sharp (grounded) metal edges. ALso, make sure all the wires are dressed properly - away from sharp edges and screw holes - before you finish tightening stuff up. I saw a post the other day about someone who accidentally tightened a screw in the steering column through the insulation of a mis-placed wire and (probably) blew his ECM!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah. I am usually like you...living dangerously. :wtf:

On this project, I think I'll disconnect it. I am concerned that those stems were put on at the factory like that and I might have to take a ton of stuff apart. If I do, so be it, but could you point me to an exploded view (similar to the one you provided for the cabin bolt) for that part of the column? If you point me to a link, I'll hunt down the schematic.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
While I'm at it, does everyone has this bolt into the driver's cabin? It looks kind of dangerous on a road trip or when pulling the mats out, no?

Mine has a little rubber boot covering it. Always figured it was there to help keep the floormat secure and in position.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Tomato, and everyone else. I love this site and respect the knowledge on it. Looking at the schematic, could part no 5 be missing from the windshield washer side? The schematic lists it as turn signal bracket, but shows it on the side with the windshield washer stem. I saw no bracket on the washer side, but for sure it was on the signal side. So, maybe the problem is that the washer stem is put on incorrectly. That would move that side up and even it out. For 3 or so dollars, I'll throw it on the signal stem order. Check back around the 10th of December to see the completed project. Thanks again for all your help, and I am serious about lending a hand,or if you're ever down in the Outer Banks or VA Beach, I'll buy you a beer, or a soft drink if you're driving.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It secures the dead pedal, and that should have a rubberized cover for it. With the cover on, you don't even know it's there.
Thanks. I'm sure I have something kicking around in the garage that I can use to cover it. I'm just glad to know it's not just on my car. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts