Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say I LOVE my 2006 Solstice. I've been reading the forum for months and love the all the wonderful people here.

Ok here goes...I replaced the stock monsoon/onstar sound system with a Pioneer hu and a back up camera. The install went fairly well until the very end. I was putting the consol back together at the gear shift area and the circuit board under the shift indicator went dark. Car was obviously in park at the time but I realized the the key was turned to accessory. Uh Oh. Honestly, I could live without the lights, however, the key with not turn to the off position and come out. Is the circuit board preventing it from locking the column and turning to the off position? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :cryin:

Thanks in Advance!

April

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
You have an automatic transmission?

Either the ignition lock has failed or the auto protection circuit is causing the problem is my guess

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Assuming you have an automatic transmission, on the bottom of the steering column bezel, there is a rubber cover that you can pry off, under the cover is a button you can push in that will release the key, allowing you to turn it far enough to remove the key.

Detailed instructions are in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Check your fuses, sounds like something was shorted out and popped one of them. Lets hope that you find the culprit for an easy fix...
BTW when doing electrical work, make sure the car is shut OFF, no key in ignition, better yet disconnect the battery...:leaving:

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Agree with MidnightBlues never work on anything electrical on the car without removing a battery cable to kill the power to the system

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies. It is an automatic. I apologize for not including that orginally. I had disconnected the battery through the entire install however I was finished and was just putting the trim ring back on the gear indicator when the circuit board underneath popped off the indicator. I should have waited to hook up the battery unfortunately. I will try the release on the column. So judging from the responses the circuit board wouldn't cause the issue?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
There is a position sensing switch that recognizes when the Shifter is locked into Park. It then allows the key to be removed from the ignition.

I don't know where that switch is located, but it could very well be on the circuit board you mention.

:dunno:

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
I don't have an auto, so cannot verify. But my wiring diagram shows the switch to be "In the center console, part of the A/T shift control assembly". So Dave could well be correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts