Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a driver pull right out in front of me without yeilding. I hit my horn and out of reaction and dented in the pontiac badge. I also want to replace my cruise worn control button. I need a How-to on this.
Any help is appreciated.

2007 GXP

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
There are a couple of threads from 07-08 that cover this.

I have swapped out my steering wheel and pulled both the control switch sets out for painting. Its not difficult.

The book says you should pull the battery terminal for safety however I have done mine three times without doing so and it was not a problem. Even my GM World Class tech told me that its normal to remove and replace the steering wheel without pulling the power.

If you sit in the drivers seat and face the steering wheel, by looking at the left and right sides fo the steering wheel from the side, you will find a small hole on each side, in front of the wheel spokes. These holes are access holes for releasing the locking clips for the airbag. Use a phillips head screwdriver or an allen wrench inserted into the hole to push the locking clips free while pulling out on the airbag assembly.

Once you have the airbag assembly unlocked from the steering wheel, you will see two cables / connectors that you can unhook and remove.

Once the airbag assembly is removed you will have access to the cabling and retention bolts for the steering wheel controls. To replace one, remove the bold for that side and pull the control assembly out of the steering wheel. You can purchase a replacement control assembly from Crate Engine Depot or the GM source of your choice.

I bought a replacement steering wheel from

http://www.sourceoneautoparts.com/

that included the control assemblys

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is the wheel center badge removed? Maybe I can push the dent back into place?

Rob, Thank you!!! This forum is GREAT!

·
Registered
847 Posts
If u were talking about the Pontiac badge on the steering wheel, u can kinda pry around it to "pop" it out (off of the steering wheel) ...you will see it has little clamp like sides to hold it in...

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had a driver pull right out in front of me without yeilding. I hit my horn and out of reaction and dented in the pontiac badge. I also want to replace my cruise worn control button. I need a How-to on this.
Any help is appreciated.

2007 GXP
That is a bummer to hear about your accident. I hope you're doing well in spite of the incident. For ordering the parts, a GM dealer should be able to provide at least a quote. All Certified GM Parts are backed by a warranty. Please keep us posted on the outcome of the repairs. Thank you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No accident, Thanks to Solstice 4 wheel disk brakes, My Lil girl stops quickly!
I'd like to pop it (badge) off the steering wheel center, but will wait for confirmation.
Undoing the airbag makes me a tad nervous! It might hurt.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tryed a dental pick and a auto upholstery tool, but the badge won't budge.
Is it screw attached from behind?

I ordered a FSM,but it is about 10 days from delivery. Then I'll give it a go.

·
Super Moderator
16,400 Posts
You know, I dont have an answer to your question. I will have to take a hard look at it. I have had the airbag off several times but never really looked at it from the back. It might just be tabbed and glued in place. I would try hitting it with a little warm air from a heat gun (hair dryer) and see if it loosens up enough to pop it off.:willy::leaving:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
I have yet to see a parts diagram that shows a removeable "badge" in the center of the air bag. The place where I picked of the two illustrations had about 10 - 12 different part numbers for the airbag, depending on color of the interior and whether Pontiac, Sky, Daewoo, or Opel.

I have looked at mine very closely and I cannot see a seam between the badge and the airbag cover.

Frankly, I wouldn't mess with it, I just hate it when an airbag goes off in your face, especially if there are sharp tools between the airbag and the face. (Ouch!) ::brentil:

YMMV

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I kinda was hoping it was just a snap in, like a tire/wheel center. Anyone who has ridden has not noticed, but I do cause I'm an owner who appreciates a perfect street roadster.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The center badge is a small flimsy piece of metal that has several small flimsy metal tabs around it. It comes out rather easily by prying on it however, its almost impossible to removed from the airbag without messing it up beyond repair. Some have been able to remove them, but it is very very difficult because the metal is so thin.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
Having looked at mine again a couple of minutes ago, I'll agree that it is a metal badge, but it certainly looks as though it is bonded to the airbag cover.

If someone tries to get one off, and I am certainly not advocating that someone tries to do this, pictures of the procedure would probably be in order.

Sharp tools and airbags don't mix well in my book. It gives me shivers just thinking about it.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
My interest is piqued. Is the air bag assembly all contained in the cover? (The visible part of the front of the steering wheel?)

I honestly haven't studied my steering wheel that closely. I'll try to do so this evening to get a better understanding.

Bills - if it's "dented" it isn't plastic, or at least not solid plastic. That would have cracked if anything. 2.4 mentions above that it's metal but that concerns me also. As I'm sure everyone is aware (or maybe not if you're lucky) of the incredible acceleration and forces that an air bag exerts. I'm sure the mfr has tested the snot out of emblems and attachment methods to prevent creating a missile that would enter someone's skull in an accident.

Then again, a lot of these covers are design to "flip" away during detonation so maybe it is possible to get in behind it to release the badge.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts