Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Steering Wheel Question

6K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  Fformula88 
#1 ·
I searched and didn't find this information anywhere else. I've got a question for anyone who's been up very close to the Solstice or if it's standard for other Pontiac cars (never owned or driven one before so I don't know). What exactly are all the buttons on the steering wheel for? I've driven several other cars with buttons like that, but not that many unless the car had cruise control and a fairly advanced audio system.

There just seem to be a lot of buttons for a car without cruise control more then likely, and a basic CD player/maybe changer.

In the following pictures you can make out the different buttons, there seem to be ten of them. Five on each side.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
brentil said:
What exactly are all the buttons on the steering wheel for? I've driven several other cars with buttons like that, but not that many unless the car had cruise control and a fairly advanced audio system.

There just seem to be a lot of buttons for a car without cruise control more then likely, and a basic CD player/maybe changer.
I don't know what the buttons do individually, but I am sure that they are for stereo and cruise control. It's my belief that the concept cars and pre-production cars represent a fully loaded Solstice, and not the 20k base. I'm sure that a more advanced audio system and cruise contol will be available and those buttons will be the controls.

#3 ·
Yeah, that's what I had quesstimated they were. But I'm hoping someones been up close to the Solstice Concept or has a Pontiac with those same type of buttons and can actually say what they are.

#4 ·
I don't have my wifes aztek with me today, but some of the control buttons on hers are "play" which switches from radio to cd, "band" which switches back to radio, "preset" to change cd's or channels,volume up and down, search up and down, "power", that's eight, dang, I can't remember the others. I'll look when I get home and post back, I'm pretty sure it has 10 buttons like the pictures. The cruise is on the stalk, which is pretty annoying.

#6 ·
GM generally has all stereo controls on the wheel spokes. I am not sure I have seen a car with the cruise there from GM (although I have not been in a GM car that was made in the last year or two). I've got a G6 brochure and they all look like stereo controls on its wheel, so I will assume the same will go for the Solstice.

#7 ·
Our Bonneville has radio and HVAC controls on the wheel. Have seen some GM cars (GrandAm ?) with cruise there but I drive a different Avis car almost every week).

Personally I prefer cruise on the turn signal (multifunction) stalk, have found the ones on the wheel hard to reach (turn signal I can reach with one finger, around the SIR cushion, I have to take a hand off the wheel).

Ones I particularly dislike (e.g. Chrysler) are where you have to press an on/off switch every time you start the car.

#8 ·
The Edmunds article says they're stereo controls AND cruise. It also mentions that the options list will be pretty small: "Options are few, including just leather upholstery, an upgraded audio system, different wheel finishes and limited-slip differential." So, judging from this, I'd believe that cruise is standard equipment, along with power windows, locks, driving (fog) lights, and A/C. This almost sounds too good to be true!

#9 ·
Cruise control on a manual tranny standard? Very odd, I don't know any other car company that does that standard. (waiting to be corrected though since I don't know all cars base options)

#10 ·
O.K., I was wrong. There are only 8 buttons on my wife's Pontiac, and one of the ones I named was wrong. There is no 'power', it is a 'mute' button instead. So I'm sure one of the extra buttons on the Solstice is 'power', but I can only guess at the 10th, equilizer presets maybe?

As for a cruise control on a manual, my Ford Ranger has one. If you press in the clutch just a little bit, the cruise goes off. I've always liked the ford steering wheel layout for the cruise, right under your thumbs. But I also like the stereo controls right there in GM products.

Maybe the Solstice will do both?

#11 ·
2KWK4U said:
The Edmunds article says they're stereo controls AND cruise. It also mentions that the options list will be pretty small: "Options are few, including just leather upholstery, an upgraded audio system, different wheel finishes and limited-slip differential." So, judging from this, I'd believe that cruise is standard equipment, along with power windows, locks, driving (fog) lights, and A/C. This almost sounds too good to be true!

Ahhhh, yes, you are correct. I didn't notice the specs page when I first read it.

"audio and cruise controls on steering wheel"

And if the other 8 buttons are for the radio/6-CD player (as listed on the spec page also :) that leaves 2 buttons for cruise control unless they've gotten rid of some of the radio controls.

#12 · (Edited)
Cruise control is standard on most Japanese cars in all their "above base" models. Then you order the optional automatic. Works with the clutch switch that's there anyway to prevent you from starting the car while in gear. Cruise control works great on a standard. When you see a cop, just tap the clutch to disengage and slow down. No brake lights!

#13 ·
Well, my dad and I drive a 2004 Caddy limousine when rented out, and it has quite a few buttons on it! The ones on the limo are for cruise, AM/FM seek, volume, a/c or heat, the fan and different speeds and areas for the fan (Like just fan, head, head and feet, feet, stuff like that) So, that's what it is on the Caddy, and there both GM vehicles so I would assume that they would be the same or somewhat similar. But that would be sweet if it came with a changer! And cruise! Can't wait!

#14 ·
Good catch on the Edmunds article! I must not have read it close enough the two times I have gone through it already! :jester

I don't mind cruise on the steering wheel, but I totally agree about the comment on Chrysler cruise controls that must be turned on every time you start the car! :mad My Jeep Wrangelr's cruise works just that way. It has 5 buttons for the cruise control on two stalks of the wheel. On the left is On/Off and I believe set. On the right is Accel, Decel, and cancel. The cancel button is great for the same reason as the clutch pedal disapling cruise in manual cars. No taillights for the cops to see!

I still like the multifunction turn signal on GM's better. Its more intuitive since there is one button on the side, and one switch on the top. I can use it without looking at it. The Chrysler setup and its rocker switches isn't intuitive at all, and I always have to look down to see what button I want to use. This is especially annoying at night since they do not light up!

#15 ·
Actually I went and re-read the article myself because I swore there was no mention of that. Which there isn't. BUT... if you click the Features & Specs link on the far left, there's a bunch of more really good info in there they don't mention in the article too. That's where I found that line.

Some nice tidbits off the specs page...
  1. ventilated front disc / solid rear disc brakes
  2. passenger airbag deactivation switch
  3. cruise control
  4. AM/FM in-dash 6 CD player stereo
  5. OnStar telecommunications service

#16 ·
Its interesting what they do list, and what they do not.

Power windows and mirrors are listed, but no power door locks or keyless entry?

Leather upholstry is listed and in the article it says that it will be optional. So does that mean ABS is standard or optional (its now an option on many of GM's entry priced cars).

Solid rear brake rotors don't sound too hot. Why not ventilated all around for a sports car?

Also, no air conditioning listed.

Maybe they just included things that were on this car, or they do not have complete info. But curious minds want to know!! :cryin

#17 · (Edited)
I found a higher resolution of the interior pic
, looked at it again and compared with my telephoto shots (some of which actually look ok) of the steering wheel from the NAIAS, and looking at a Trailblazer on a dealer lot for the same or similar icons:

Left side of steering wheel:

DIC Menu Button | Cruise Accel
-------------------| Cruise On/Off?
DIC Select (return) | Cruise Decel/Set

Right side of steering wheel:

Seek [>|] | Vol+
Mute, or possibly an icon of a satellite or a person talking (OnStar?) | ---
1-6 (presets) | Vol-

Also, the middle gauge is a fuel gauge - you can actually see the little gas icon with an arrow to the left.

#18 ·
Fformula88 said:
Its interesting what they do list, and what they do not.

Power windows and mirrors are listed, but no power door locks or keyless entry?

Leather upholstry is listed and in the article it says that it will be optional. So does that mean ABS is standard or optional (its now an option on many of GM's entry priced cars).

Solid rear brake rotors don't sound too hot. Why not ventilated all around for a sports car?

Also, no air conditioning listed.

Maybe they just included things that were on this car, or they do not have complete info. But curious minds want to know!! :cryin
I doubt they have finalized thier standard or optional lists. I would take what ever the car mags say now with a grain of salt. They're talking to PR people, who are the same people handing out promo material on the Satun Curve. Reporters ask and they have to say something. My guess on the use of solid rear discs is because of the parking brake... or they're just trying to save money. I don't care how they're made, I just want them to be strong and not warp! :skep

#19 ·
Solid rear discs aren't so bad, really. Most of your braking is done by the fronts anyway. I'm actually fine with solid rear rotors. That's less unsprung weight and rotational mass.

#20 ·
AeroDave said:
I doubt they have finalized thier standard or optional lists. I would take what ever the car mags say now with a grain of salt. They're talking to PR people, who are the same people handing out promo material on the Satun Curve. Reporters ask and they have to say something. My guess on the use of solid rear discs is because of the parking brake... or they're just trying to save money. I don't care how they're made, I just want them to be strong and not warp! :skep
Oh, I know its just a step this side of wild speculation, but I would assume that GM is trying to put the word out on what they think they will offer on the car. They must have an idea by now.

As for the rear brakes, I dunno. I know most work is done up front, and you can probably get buy with solids rear, but it seems to be a glaring example of cost cutting on a car that seems to have gone to great lengths everywhere else in the running gear to provide the best available with no compromises. Rotational mass and unsprung weight could have been saved in the wheels (18's are really big and heavy!) and had a much bigger affect than in just the rear rotors for example.

I hope they don't warp too, and I'd be more confident if they were vented. The solid disks won't cool as well, and therefore they will be more susceptable to warp and fade. Its not the parking brake that causes it, as the parking brake on rear discs is just an added mechanism in the caliper, but it still applies pressure with the same pads (it mechanically pushes the piston in the caliper instead of using the hydraulics).

I'd like to see vented in the back for production. Its certainly not a make or break issue, but I don't want to see cost cutting in the brakes. Even the rears. (PS, my 88 Fiero has vented at all 4 corners, and it wipes away the solid disk Fieros from 84-87 in stopping power, although those had solids at all 4 wheels).

#22 ·
Fformula88 said:
Oh, I know its just a step this side of wild speculation, but I would assume that GM is trying to put the word out on what they think they will offer on the car. They must have an idea by now.

As for the rear brakes, I dunno. I know most work is done up front, and you can probably get buy with solids rear, but it seems to be a glaring example of cost cutting on a car that seems to have gone to great lengths everywhere else in the running gear to provide the best available with no compromises. Rotational mass and unsprung weight could have been saved in the wheels (18's are really big and heavy!) and had a much bigger affect than in just the rear rotors for example.

I hope they don't warp too, and I'd be more confident if they were vented. The solid disks won't cool as well, and therefore they will be more susceptable to warp and fade. Its not the parking brake that causes it, as the parking brake on rear discs is just an added mechanism in the caliper, but it still applies pressure with the same pads (it mechanically pushes the piston in the caliper instead of using the hydraulics).
Don't forget about drum-in-hat type rear brake rotors. GM uses this type alot, the e-brake is actually a mechanically actuated drum brake type. There are small brake shoes mounted to the hub, and the rotor is both a drum and a disc.

Fformula88 said:
I'd like to see vented in the back for production. Its certainly not a make or break issue, but I don't want to see cost cutting in the brakes. Even the rears. (PS, my 88 Fiero has vented at all 4 corners, and it wipes away the solid disk Fieros from 84-87 in stopping power, although those had solids at all 4 wheels).
Honestly, it would probably cost GM about 15 bucks more per car to put vented rears on there. You do make a good point about the mass of the wheels, that will be a pretty good deal of momentum to pull down. The big benefit of vented rotors is heat dissipation, obviously. The stopping power isn't affected unless you're talking about repeated heavy braking and fade becomes a factor. This shouldn't be a concern for non-track use, not even for autocross. Pad material and rotor diameter are the biggest factors in stopping power. Brake fade varies with pad material as well. Personally, I know I'll be upgrading the brakes regardless of what it comes with, so its really a non-issue to me.

#23 ·
2KWK4U said:
Don't forget about drum-in-hat type rear brake rotors. GM uses this type alot, the e-brake is actually a mechanically actuated drum brake type. There are small brake shoes mounted to the hub, and the rotor is both a drum and a disc.
They must be using something different now, as I really have no experience with GM drum brakes outside of the Fiero, which was dropped 17 years ago! :crazy So its a little out dated. On those cars they used a screw drive mechanism inside of the rear caliper piston with an acuator arm on the back of the caliper. When the ebrake is pulled, the screw drive inside puts pressure on the piston just like the hydraulics would, thereby applying the brakes.

Its a horrid design actually, and if they are using drum-in-hat now it should be much better. Those screw drive brakes worked ok initially, but they were a disaster to keep working, and forget about servicing the calipers and hoping that they ever worked right again! Good ridance!

#24 ·
2KWK4U said:
Honestly, it would probably cost GM about 15 bucks more per car to put vented rears on there.
If they really do make 20,000 Solstice, than that's a savings of $300,000 dollars. That combined with many other low profile cost savings is how they will get to a 20k base price and still make a profit. Most people who buy this car will never even look under the back and will never really know what kind of brakes are back there. All they will know is that when they step on the brake, it will stop.

It would be great if someone could build a car with all the refinements of a Porshe and still sell it for 20k, but that's just not reallistic. So that leaves a car company with the question of where to cut costs, and they're going to cut where the average buyer isn't going to look or care. The rear brake disks is a perfect place for that. No one is going to turn this car down due to solid rear rotors. They also know that discs are easy to change and upgrade in the aftermarket.

#25 ·
Yeah I don't mind saving $15 on something I'll end up replaceing anyways when I get the car :D

This way too they can offer it as a performance upgrade option too, or as a GM performance part.

#26 ·
I'll try this again, lost my last post to database issues.

A little back on topic, I found a much higher resolution (1024) image of part of the steering wheel. You can see +/- buttons, a '1-5' or '1-6' buttong, and two other buttons I can't make out/just don't know what they are.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.