Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Factory Stereo Options...

I am going to get the monsoon system but wanted to know if there is any benefit to upgrading the stereo unit itself. There are two stereo options and I do not need the disc changer or the mp3 option. Then there is the standard option which is just a stereo with am/fm cd. Is there any sound quality difference between standard system and the other two mentioned? Just trying to find out what head unit sounds best before I order...

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you get the monsoon package you are required to upgrade to at least the single CD/mp3 player. Upgrading beyond that will give you 6 CDs and/or XM satellite radio, but no change in quality, so going there will depend on if you want it. The biggest upgrade that you get is the Speed Control Volume (IMO) with any radio upgrade.

·
Registered
182 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
If you get the monsoon package you are required to upgrade to at least the single CD/mp3 player. Upgrading beyond that will give you 6 CDs and/or XM satellite radio, but no change in quality, so going there will depend on if you want it. The biggest upgrade that you get is the Speed Control Volume (IMO) with any radio upgrade.
:agree:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Does anyone know if the standard stereo comes with the plug in port for the Mp3. I am assuming it would since the other radio options have the Mp3 built in.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
CoolOne2006 said:
Does anyone know if the standard stereo comes with the plug in port for the Mp3. I am assuming it would since the other radio options have the Mp3 built in.
It does, but few, if any, members have been pleased with the stock stereo system. It's just... crappy.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Fortimir said:
It does, but few, if any, members have been pleased with the stock stereo system. It's just... crappy.
Most stock units are. If I don't like it I will probably put an aftermarket in it. I even think the optional factory radios tend to be crappy. It would be nice if they would put quality radios in cars. I guess that is too much to ask!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
CoolOne2006 said:
Most stock units are. If I don't like it I will probably put an aftermarket in it. I even think the optional factory radios tend to be crappy. It would be nice if they would put quality radios in cars. I guess that is too much to ask!
As silly as it is (because you have to have more initial buy in) it is easier to upgrade your system if you get the moonsoon package, because the subwoofer compartment is already installed.

...now how to get a subwoofer behind the driver and bridge them...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Fortimir said:
As silly as it is (because you have to have more initial buy in) it is easier to upgrade your system if you get the moonsoon package, because the subwoofer compartment is already installed.

...now how to get a subwoofer behind the driver and bridge them...
I would rather build the system myself from ground up. Every car I own has gotten the radio yanked and a new system installed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I also have questions regarding this. I plan on getting the stock stereo and upgrading the head unit, adding amp, cd changer. Does the optional monsoon (not available with standard unit) have the same 6 speaker system as the standard with the addition of sub and amp, or are all the speakers premium speakers? If I understand correctly the monsoon uses component tweeters, mid range and woofers. To do that a crossover is required. Is that part of the standard speaker system?

·
Registered
535 Posts
sonoransolstice said:
I also have questions regarding this. I plan on getting the stock stereo and upgrading the head unit, adding amp, cd changer. Does the optional monsoon (not available with standard unit) have the same 6 speaker system as the standard with the addition of sub and amp, or are all the speakers premium speakers? If I understand correctly the monsoon uses component tweeters, mid range and woofers. To do that a crossover is required. Is that part of the standard speaker system?
I believe the monsoon system will have completely different speakers with the addition of the sub!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The Monsoon system does have different speakers other than the subwoofer. They are indeed a component system.

Standard:
2 x pillar tweeters
2 x door low/midrange speakers
2 x tweeter/presence rear speakers

Monsoon:
2 x pillar tweeters
2 x door midrange speakers
2 x tweeter/presence rear speakers
1 x low-end sub

The door speakers in the standard have to make up as much as they can for bass. But the Monsoon is component and doesn't need to. And they do have beter quality speakers... and amp... and crossover.

·
Registered
55 Posts
pictures

Does anyone have a picture of the speaker placement for the monsoon system? Particularly the subwoofer.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
K&K said:
Does anyone have a picture of the speaker placement for the monsoon system? Particularly the subwoofer.
If you look in the gallery for interior pics area, there's an image of the sub area behind the passenger seat.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fortimir said:
The Monsoon system does have different speakers other than the subwoofer.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
anyone have any information about wattage of the headunit or any specifics on the speakers?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Best I can find at the moment (just before hittin' the hay) is:

"Monsoon premium speaker system features 225-watts of power, amplified 7-speaker audio system and a subwoofer located behind the passenger's seat..."

The speakers for my computer are 400-watts. :lol:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
theartfuldodger said:
Best I can find at the moment (just before hittin' the hay) is:

"Monsoon premium speaker system features 225-watts of power, amplified 7-speaker audio system and a subwoofer located behind the passenger's seat..."

The speakers for my computer are 400-watts. :lol:
What I guess we could assume the sub gets about 100 watts of power?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, that would leave just a hair less than 18-watts per speaker...Best guess (it's only a guess) would be 25 per speaker + 50 for the sub or something close. A car, being generally enclosed, doesn't "need" a lot of watts. My mustang sounds great with the stock speakers (Sony head unit) until I drop the top...then it just sounds okay...and kind of makes this sound like I'm in a wind tunnel...until I stop the car...then it sounds like I'm sitting in traffic...and...um..nm :leaving:

My comps speakers run 160-wattts to the sub with 60-watts for the 4 sats.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts