Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many people were taught that stick shifts are boy cars and automatics are girl cars? It was a woman that pointed this out years ago and it makes sense. The girl cars will be out soon. Nothing against girl cars both of our other cars are girls. I guess special girls have a stick.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
inov814u said:
How many people were taught that stick shifts are boy cars and automatics are girl cars? It was a woman that pointed this out years ago and it makes sense. The girl cars will be out soon. Nothing against girl cars both of our other cars are girls. I guess special girls have a stick.
Then how come men are the one's who typically own "boy cars" but give them women's names? :lol:
A few I remember from our forum-mates are:
MariSol
Vanessa
Christine

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
I'm special! Gotta have your attention. Give it to me! -The Pretenders

This is an interesting topic. Let's try to tease apart some of that old wive's tale by using a current definition.

Active vs Passive would be a good starting position. :lol:

A "stick" as we all know denotes a form which is manually gripped or operated in an active manner.

To engage the gear box in the manual transmission, one must have that "hands on" experience in the form of the shifter which locks and unlocks different sets of gears to achieve various gear ratios. You're in control, you're pushing that redline and it's wild, raucous fun!

Ladies on the other hand, are not supposed to have wild, raucous fun, therefore are discouraged within polite society from engaging in such bawdry behavior.

With an automatic transmission, the gear ratios are achieved through the use of the same set of gears and there’s no need to actively participate in the driving experience other than to put the thing into “D” and drive defensively.
Hence, you’ve just replaced your very active experience with a more passive one.
Very socially acceptable for the socially correct woman.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dengel said:
Then how come men are the one's who typically own "boy cars" but give them women's names? :lol:
A few I remember from our forum-mates are:
MariSol
Vanessa
Christine
I guess I should have put smiley faces in there. Not raining on parades :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts