Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have searched previous threads for the location of the amp on factory Monsoons but no luck. Is it behind the drivers seat panel? Also for those installing after market amps...where you placing the amp? I check a audio dealer today and for approx. 500-600 dollars for sub and amp. This sound about right?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Duner said:
Have searched previous threads for the location of the amp on factory Monsoons but no luck. Is it behind the drivers seat panel? Also for those installing after market amps...where you placing the amp? I check a audio dealer today and for approx. 500-600 dollars for sub and amp. This sound about right?
500-600 for one sub and one amp? Pricey.

You don't need a high-wattage amp for this system. I would say, get a 400w Rockford-Fosgate amp... and... um...

WHAT SIZE IS THE STOCK SUB?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
Anyone know what size is will fit? I'll begin my second round of shopping on Monday...if $500-600 is pricey, say 300-450 is the acceptable range to aim for? Thanks! everyone

·
Registered
215 Posts
Duner said:
Duner, have you picked up your cars yet?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi solkool,
Yes! Our Sly is home! It arrived 2 days before a 2 week vacation to Connecticut! Nice timing eh? Meg and I love it, we enjoy a drive every night with the top down and the heat turned up! Meg's cool is still at the plant with the thousands of other Sols awaited to be freed. :)

We should plan on a central Cal get together...probably 4-5 Sols now in the area!
Dave

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Thraxz said:
Rockford Fosgate 8" P2's and a 300-400 watt amp is way more than necessary on this tiny car.
I wouldn't go more than 400w... but it's better to over-power speakers than to under-power.

Besides, the gain is adjustable on amps... so if you get an 8 or 10 inch sub rated at 250w, and you have a 400w amp, you can adjust the gain to match the speaker.

But regarding parent post, 500-600 is a bit steep for that. I would look at $300-$400 (if that).

·
Registered
350 Posts
anyone willing to snap and post pics of the amp placement?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I don't have the monsoon, but you can see four studs sticking out of the rear bulkhead behind the driver's seat in this picture. I'm 90% sure that's where it mounts.

·
Registered
350 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I don't have the monsoon, but you can see four studs sticking out of the rear bulkhead behind the driver's seat in this picture. I'm 90% sure that's where it mounts.
Where's the pic you are referring to?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Duner said:
Hi solkool,
Yes! Our Sly is home! It arrived 2 days before a 2 week vacation to Connecticut! Nice timing eh? Meg and I love it, we enjoy a drive every night with the top down and the heat turned up! Meg's cool is still at the plant with the thousands of other Sols awaited to be freed. :)

We should plan on a central Cal get together...probably 4-5 Sols now in the area!
Dave
Sounds good to me. Hope you can make the next WCKCC meeting in the future.

·
Registered
215 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Scott,

What other sounds are channeled through the speakers? I listened to me tweeter when the turn signal was on and there it was just like you said. I am having my installer look into this problem. any suggestions? I really don't want to lose any of the alerts that are stock.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
solkool said:
Scott,

What other sounds are channeled through the speakers? I listened to me tweeter when the turn signal was on and there it was just like you said. I am having my installer look into this problem. any suggestions? I really don't want to lose any of the alerts that are stock.
Ya know, I keep forgetting to look into that. I've been so busy putting coat after coat of Zaino on the car, I haven't thought to take it apart anymore. It could be that there are two different sets of wires leading to the left front driver (speaker). I'll pull the head unit as soon as I can remember to do so, and see if the turn signal and warning chimes (those are the other sounds channeled through the speakers) are still present when the head unit is disconnected... That or I'll pull the door panel and see what the plug on the back of the driver looks like. Might just have to do that this evening. I've been reluctant to take the dash apart until I get a service manual, but I'm getting impatient. As far as I know GM/Helms STILL hasn't released the service manual to consumers!

·
Registered
215 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Ya know, I keep forgetting to look into that. I've been so busy putting coat after coat of Zaino on the car, I haven't thought to take it apart anymore. It could be that there are two different sets of wires leading to the left front driver (speaker). I'll pull the head unit as soon as I can remember to do so, and see if the turn signal and warning chimes (those are the other sounds channeled through the speakers) are still present when the head unit is disconnected... That or I'll pull the door panel and see what the plug on the back of the driver looks like. Might just have to do that this evening. I've been reluctant to take the dash apart until I get a service manual, but I'm getting impatient. As far as I know GM/Helms STILL hasn't released the service manual to consumers!
Zaino zaino zaino,,,, your're going to have to wear sunglasses all the time just looking at your car. :crazy:

This afternoon I spoke to my service manager at my dealership. I told him about our plight and he told me that on certain GM cars ( which probably includes the Solstice) the radio serves as much more that the radio. There are certain computer related issues that run through the radio. I am not certain at what they might be but that is distressing news. He will call me asap and I will let you know what he says. He added that there are a few aftermarket products that will be compatible but we will have to wait and see. :willy:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
solkool said:
This afternoon I spoke to my service manager at my dealership. I told him about our plight and he told me that on certain GM cars ( which probably includes the Solstice) the radio serves as much more that the radio. There are certain computer related issues that run through the radio. I am not certain at what they might be but that is distressing news. He will call me asap and I will let you know what he says. He added that there are a few aftermarket products that will be compatible but we will have to wait and see. :willy:
I'm pretty sure the Solstice radio is... just a radio. That's why we have a DIC on the dash.

On the Pontiac G6 I am driving right now, the DIC information is built into the radio... and that would be a problem, but the Solstice is NOT that way.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Duner said:
Here is an old thread about the AMP. Scroll down the page and there is a post by Small Dealer with step-by-step instructions on getting to it. It doesn't seem to hard at all!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts