Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running a BW 6758EFR setup with a RPI GT catless down pipe and exhaust for a while now. Due to being plagued with cracking issues the actual setup has changed many times. However, I'm confident the newest setup will be mostly problem free. My question, is concerning the factory catback exhaust. I have read everything I can find regarding exhaust and its gains, though most only confirm the down pipe gains, but I cannot find anything regarding how well the factory catback flows with aftermarket turbos. So I'm curious. Has anyone done this? And even better dynoed the differences? Im planning to run the catless downpipe with the factory Catback if possible. I'm growing tired of how obnoxiously loud the RPi down pipe and exhaust is, especially with my setup. Nothing like killing a modded vette, stang, challenger, or especially the exotics, when they try you assuming exhaust is all I have, but the hundreds of idiots that also try me because of it are getting old. Thinking of modding my factory catback and remounting it.

Anyone have any valuable input? It would be greatly appreciated. Not worried about a few HP....and considering an electric open exhaust valve if no help comes.

Anyways. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had to put my factory exhaust on to run at Laguna Seca. There was no noticeable difference, but, I am sure a Dyno would have shown a small loss. What manifold are you running? What exactly has been cracking? My best Trifecta Dyno was 331WHP. Switching to HP tuners, I made 403 with out Meth.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Your restrictions on exhaust after the cat are in your muffler. If you have 3" pipes and muffler, the muffler will be your power loser. Have you tried the Solo Street Race Exhaust? I have it. No muffler, 3" exhaust. It will definetly be loud with a HFC (or no cat). Mine's loud with the OEM cat. It might not even be "street" tolerable with the bigger turbo. But, the downside is with a bigger turbo you're pushing way more air/exhaust, thus if you don't have good enough flow, you're just robbing yourself of the extra power your turbo can make.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Your restrictions on exhaust after the cat are in your muffler. If you have 3" pipes and muffler, the muffler will be your power loser. Have you tried the Solo Street Race Exhaust? I have it. No muffler, 3" exhaust. It will definetly be loud with a HFC (or no cat). Mine's loud with the OEM cat. It might not even be "street" tolerable with the bigger turbo. But, the downside is with a bigger turbo you're pushing way more air/exhaust, thus if you don't have good enough flow, you're just robbing yourself of the extra power your turbo can make.
The OP is looking for proof of this...

Isn't that 2jz solstice on stock exhaust?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OP is looking for proof of this...

Isn't that 2jz solstice on stock exhaust?
^^^this

I expect a loss, but many believe the stock muffler to be able to flow well so I'm curious mostly about that. I will look into the 2jz, had forgotten about it. L-N-F'n, I will pm you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts