Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had issues with the aux input on the stock radio being flakey? I have an '07 and it just started acting up recently. If I wiggle it just right, it works most of the time, but that won't last.

Do you replace the stock unit or is it possible to pop open the unit and replace the input jack?

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Premium Member
17,531 Posts
Welcome to the forum

There are threads on this subject basically you can pull the faceplate and access the internals to see if some repair is indicated

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Could be dirty. The biggest sin is to leave a plug in it all the time. You can try some contact cleaner in there (with all the power off, of course.) Squirt some in the opening, then insert, rotate, and remove a plug several times. Repeat.

It might just clear up for you without popping the dash apart. If you need to take it apart, it seems more daunting of a task than it actually is.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
This has happened a lot in the past, but in (maybe) 50% of the cases it's turned out to be a flaky cable. Try another cable first before you delve into the head unit.

Having said that, it's not a huge issue to get to that socket (if it's not the cable). You'll have to pull the boomerang to get to the radio, then just undo and unplug the faceplate of the radio. The socket is inside the faceplate on a small sub-PCB.

There are threads on how to do these things, but all the pics have disappeared, thanks to Photobucket reneging on their free picture posting. :(

Did find this though: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-4OiAyedF0Jh/learn/2006-2009-pontiac-solstice.html

·
Registered
256 Posts
I periodically have the same issue (maybe once a year). I alternately use a shop vac to suck on the opening, and compressed air blowing into it. I also always leave the jack plugged into my Bluetooth adapter.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I agree with Chicken, when I left my cable plugged in, it would start to act erratic after several days. Now I unplug it every time I shut the car off and have not had any issues.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
I agree with Chicken, when I left my cable plugged in, it would start to act erratic after several days. Now I unplug it every time I shut the car off and have not had any issues.
I still forget to unplug mine about 50% of the time. :drool::drool:

·
Registered
256 Posts
It has been over a year since mine was unplugged. I drive my car to work with the top down every day that there is no rain in the forecast.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've recently started having a similar issue with my factory head unit. It intermittently tries to switch to the aux input, even thought there is nothing plugged in. At first I thought maybe it was a scratched CD, but even if I'm just listening to the radio, it toggles between aux input/radio. Has anyone else found a fix?

·
Registered
256 Posts
It appears that dust can get in and cause the radio / cd player to get flaky. Last week my radio decided to randomly retune itself. I spun the tuning knob up and down a couple of times and the problem went away.
Also, about once a year I take my shop vac to all of the openings, and then spray compressed air into those openings, followed by another shop vac cycle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll have to get out the air compressor and give it a cleaning. Another thing I was considering is one of the newer 2009 UUI radios. Seems like I can pick on up used on Ebay for not too much. There are several threads on here with models that worked. From my research, it looks like I can use any 2009 UUI radio since I have a monsoon system (except truck/suv) and have it reprogrammed by the dealer for my VIN.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've recently started having a similar issue with my factory head unit. It intermittently tries to switch to the aux input, even thought there is nothing plugged in. At first I thought maybe it was a scratched CD, but even if I'm just listening to the radio, it toggles between aux input/radio. Has anyone else found a fix?
I have this problem too. It's been getting worse and I find a good bump in the road will put me in aux mode (or flipping between aux and radio quickly) now too. I'm also starting to have an issue where I don't always have lights on the radio but I've found if I tap in on the volume knob they'll come back on. Time to tear into this guy and clean it out is my guess. Just like the steering wheel controls that were acting flakey. I got inside there and cleaned all the contacts with alcohol and they've been solid since.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This will sound a little strange but I ran into this issue - randomly switching from radio to aux & the display intermittently going blank - 2 or 3 years ago and it turned out my battery was about to fail. Replaced the battery & no trouble since.

I've read in other threads that a low battery (even when it cranks adequately to start) can result in weird 'canary' electrical behaviors. Worth checking.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Interesting note about the battery voltage @Daiwa. My battery was recently replaced about a year ago though. I decided to upgrade to one of the '09 UUI radios. I picked up one from a scrapyard supplier on ebay from a cobalt. I took both my original and replacement apart in hopes of swapping face plates, but my old one was a Panasonic and the new one was a Delphi. Too dissimilar to swap. Now I just need to see if I can find a dealer that will release the VIN lock on the new radio for a reasonable price. From what I read, its just a few button presses on the GM Tech 2 tool. Does anyone have a GM Tech 2 clone device? I see Chinese clones of them on ebay for like $250. I'm wondering if this would be a worthwhile tool to own if I plan on keeping the car.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
Does anyone have a GM Tech 2 clone device? I see Chinese clones of them on ebay for like $250. I'm wondering if this would be a worthwhile tool to own if I plan on keeping the car.
There's a thread on kappaperformance.com about someone (DeepBlueGXP, if I recall) who bought one. Seemed to work, though I've heard that some of them are better (more reliable) than others.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah. I've been following other car forums and threads, and that's been the general consensus. If anyone knows a reputable seller at a fair price, let me know. $250+ is hard to swallow if I get burned. But a great bargain if it works out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts