Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the best way to clean and polish these things up. Can I use a metal polish or are these wheels coated? They look like regular chrome plated wheels but then I read something about the clearcoat? I'm trying to clean up mine for sale and want them lookin good. Anybody need a set of stockers? Offer up a good price.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I believe there were polished aluminum and aluminum with clear coat. Search RPO Codes for how to tell from your glove box sticker.

Using a clay bar or polish intended for paint will be fine on the clear coat but likely ineffective on plain aluminum.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,516 Posts
There was the basic wheel in painted aluminum, same silver as the windshield surround and the tulip flap. The next step up was a polished aluminum finish. The next step up was the chromed finish aluminum. Otherwise the wheels were identical.

The base NA had the painted wheels as standard with the polished and chromed wheels optional. The GXP had the Polished as stock and the chromed as optional.

Simple? I hope so!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was the basic wheel in painted aluminum, same silver as the windshield surround and the tulip flap. The next step up was a polished aluminum finish. The next step up was the chromed finish aluminum. Otherwise the wheels were identical.

The base NA had the painted wheels as standard with the polished and chromed wheels optional. The GXP had the Polished as stock and the chromed as optional.

Simple? I hope so!

:thumbs:

Thanks buddy, I guess I'm going to use regular metal polish then sell them and recoup what I spent on the new wheels. I've seen these things going for from $225 to $350 a wheel, is that right? I could easily sell them quick for $150 plus shipping huh?

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
Thanks buddy, I guess I'm going to use regular metal polish then sell them and recoup what I spent on the new wheels. I've seen these things going for from $225 to $350 a wheel, is that right? I could easily sell them quick for $150 plus shipping huh?
wheels prices vary widely. I bought 2 excellent full sets of chrome for $400 each set a couple of years back...
Yet, I also have seen a single wheel for $200

·
Super Moderator
7,753 Posts
The last set of chrome wheels that I saw for sale went for $600 shipped.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The last set of chrome wheels that I saw for sale went for $600 shipped.
Shipping has got to be $50-$60 bucks for each wheel, I'm guessing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So what is the best way to clean and polish these things up. Can I use a metal polish or are these wheels coated? They look like regular chrome plated wheels but then I read something about the clearcoat? I'm trying to clean up mine for sale and want them lookin good. Anybody need a set of stockers? Offer up a good price.
I'm in need of at least 1 stock chrome rim and would probably buy 2. I have a 2006 NA with 221k miles on it. One of my rims has corroded on the inside to the point where the tire just cant hold a seal on it without going flat within a couple of hours. Another one had a similar problem but last tire change I had them gum up the bead with extra sealant. So far it's worked on that rim, but who knows for how much longer? Let me know what you're asking? For a fair price I'll be happy to stick with my stock rims vs buying an entirely new set, even though my kids tell me chrome is out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure if I replied to your post in the right spot so forgive me if you get my post twice... I'm in need of at least 1 stock chrome rim and would probably buy 2. I have a 2006 NA with 221k miles on it. One of my rims has corroded on the inside to the point where the tire just cant hold a seal on it without going flat within a couple of hours. Another one had a similar problem but last tire change I had them gum up the bead with extra sealant. So far it's worked on that rim, but who knows for how much longer? Let me know what you're asking? For a fair price I'll be happy to stick with my stock rims vs buying an entirely new set, even though my kids tell me chrome is out.

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
Ziggy depending on how bad your wheels are you can get them sandblasted and then powder coated the problem with the chrome wheels is that they are made in China and the plating leaves a lot to be desired

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I have a set of Chrome wheels, less than 200 miles on them. will not ship but will sell for 500.00 pick up. Best I can do. Off of a 2009 GXP Coupe.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure if I replied to your post in the right spot so forgive me if you get my post twice... I'm in need of at least 1 stock chrome rim and would probably buy 2. I have a 2006 NA with 221k miles on it. One of my rims has corroded on the inside to the point where the tire just cant hold a seal on it without going flat within a couple of hours. Another one had a similar problem but last tire change I had them gum up the bead with extra sealant. So far it's worked on that rim, but who knows for how much longer? Let me know what you're asking? For a fair price I'll be happy to stick with my stock rims vs buying an entirely new set, even though my kids tell me chrome is out.

Sent you a message.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I sold my pristine wheels for $450 Can. There isn't a lot of demand out there unless you find some bad driver/owners who have been kerbing badly or perhaps someone in the great salt belt (some manufacturers refuse to sell new cars with chrome plated wheels .to areas that use salt on the roads).

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Mine are put away. I used them to move the Mallett around for a couple of weeks.

They will go to the dump before I ever ship another wheel. Not worth the hassle in any way.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ziggy depending on how bad your wheels are you can get them sandblasted and then powder coated the problem with the chrome wheels is that they are made in China and the plating leaves a lot to be desired
So I went to my storage unit and opened up the boxes and looked for the two best looking wheels. sprayed some wheel cleaner and wiped them down. They look were looking really good.

Was getting ready to box them up and noticed a bunch of bead sealer or rtv on the rims. I said let me clean some of that off before I send them. Glad I did as I found one of them to have some pitting and flaking on the inside of the bead.

I only had those on my car for a week or two before I got new wheels and it held air fine but I'm a little apprehensive in selling this one as it looks like it could cause issues. I will return to my storage on Monday and pull the other two wheels and check them out. They both had some minor nicks or scratches and I never looked at the beads but I'm sure I we will find one of them suitable for sale. Meanwhile I have packed up the good one and it's ready to go. I'll check out shipping costs on Monday too. I suspect its probably $50-$60 a wheel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, Boss. I’ll sit tight and wait for you to look over the other 2 wheels. I’m ready to take the one you have boxed up and will take a 2nd if you have another good one.
-Ziggy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts