Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some while back, I thought I saw somewhere on this forum where someone installed a traffic signal on his front garage wall and had it connected to a laser or some other device so that when he moved his car into the garage, the traffic light would shine first yellow, then red when the car was as far into the garage as it should be. Kinda an extreme version of the tennis ball on a string touching the windshield parking trick.

Can anyone advise me where to buy such a device. Or, maybe other tricky ideas for a garage parking position limiter?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
For the sol? I could park two in the same bay without a problem! lol. Now, the 3/4 ton pickup with a hitch on the back - THAT gets a little snug. (Ask my wife who poked a hole in the drywall with the hitch backing in.)

Better yet, DON'T ask her. She'd kill me for posting that! :)

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
I use an 8' two by four just laying on the ground. Works well and stays put (though moveable if you need to). I just roll the car in slow for the last couple of feet and it stops on the wood. I marked the floor with coupla pieces of masking tape to show where it goes, in case I need to move it.

If you are married to the stoplight method, those (and similar) devices are for sale... https://www.google.com/search?q=garage+car+parking+light+sensor&num=50&hl=en&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=jrfAUMm2OMux0AHW9ICgBw&ved=0COwDELMY&biw=1280&bih=842

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
I have racedeck. I used the tennis ball method but after a few years and having to maintain them all the time and walking into them when the cars were not in the garage I took them down.

Racedeck makes a parking alignment tile that you might find useful

AccuPark | Garage Parking Aid | BigFloors.com

basiclly it has to raised areas that you can feel when you drive the car into the garage. One bump is good, two is bad.:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Found an actual stop light on eBay

Vintage Traffic Light Stop Light Man Cave Garage Signal Mustang | eBay

This is a purpose built "stop light" ranging system that will work if you have at least 1 foot 4 inches between the bumper and the wall when parked

Amazon.com: Park Zone PZ-1900 Platinum Dual Power Garage Parking Aid: Automotive

This is a different version of the ultrasonic parking guide with bigger R / Y / G LEDs
Amazon.com: Jeep Garage Park Stop Light (JX-PRK): Car Electronics

This one is a laser version of the tennis ball. It points a bright highly visible coherent light at a fixed angle. As you drive into the garage, you can see the light striking the car. You drive the car until the light is at the correct position on the car and you are set.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
I use an 8' two by four just laying on the ground. Works well and stays put (though moveable if you need to). I just roll the car in slow for the last couple of feet and it stops on the wood. I marked the floor with coupla pieces of masking tape to show where it goes, in case I need to move it.

If you are married to the stoplight method, those (and similar) devices are for sale... https://www.google.com/search?q=garage+car+parking+light+sensor&num=50&hl=en&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=jrfAUMm2OMux0AHW9ICgBw&ved=0COwDELMY&biw=1280&bih=842
LOL

I like this method but it does not go with the glass tile back splash treatment behind my work benches. It also would clash with the race deck flooring.:willy:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
For my pick up I've used a "headlamp" variation of the laser Rob mentioned. That is to say I turn on my headlamps and advance toward the wall. (There is an electrical outlet on the front wall of the bay.) As the light beam shrinks as I pull closer to the wall, I keep advancing until it is a set amount below the outlet and I know I'm where I need to be.

Now the Solstice resides in that bay and my pick up is relegated to sitting outside.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
For my pick up I've used a "headlamp" variation of the laser Rob mentioned. That is to say I turn on my headlamps and advance toward the wall. (There is an electrical outlet on the front wall of the bay.) As the light beam shrinks as I pull closer to the wall, I keep advancing until it is a set amount below the outlet and I know I'm where I need to be.

Now the Solstice resides in that bay and my pick up is relegated to sitting outside.
Nice field expedient solution:thumbs:

·
Registered
229 Posts
How about a staging light set up from a drag strip:cool:......with the wall done up like your on the track ready to go.................

Hmmmmmmmmmm............... although that could have severe consequences if the wrong person is behind the wheel and has a stupid moment:huh:.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A convex or dome mirror mounted on the wall or ceiling is another option that doesn't get in the way when there's no car in the garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts