Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we wait for our 1st 1,000 I wonder if aybody has good ideas for periodic storage or winter storage of my Solstice.

We have discussion threads about care, waxes, oils, the top, etc., but I don't recall any about storage.

I have successfully stored a car in a "Car Bag" for winter months (see carbag.com). I have a barn with crushed concrete floor and a two-car garage, but any facility can have mice...no matter how "tight". I've heard about putting a ring or mothballs around the car too for mice repellant. What kind of cloth or cover would you recommend for dust & bird dropping protection for short-term storage.....any other ideas.

Thanks in advance.........waiting & hoping I'll get mine before the snow flies here in Michigan.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I will be winter storing the Sol. Probably will put it up on blocks so as to not flat spot the tires. Mice can be a problem. I have seen them crawl into and nest in the air cleaner in other cars! Moth balls might work. Obviously a good car cover. Probably disconnect and remove the battery to a warm location if this wouldn't cause internal programing issues.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Storing a car is no different than a motorcycle
1.Take battery out ,trickle charge once a week
2.Fill gas tank put fuel stabilizer according to directions on bottle :cool: .
3.Wax it,under hood,door jams...etc
4.Change oil & filter run car to get clean oil throughout system.
5.To prevent mice from getting into tail pipe stuff the exhaust end with steel wool.The little rodents can't get through this.
6.If at all possible elevate the tires.
7.Buy a good cover that breathes from where I deal Califormia Car Cover Co. if you want. :cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not sure that disconnecting the battery is a good idea. Get a battery tender (not a trickle charger), hook it up with the battery in place, and forget about it until spring. Works for my motorcycle, doesn't work too well for my TR3 (positive ground).

In the good old days, we'd pull the spark plugs and drop a teaspoon of oil directly into the cylinders. I don't believe that's done any longer, although others may disagree.

·
4,592 Posts
I have this need now for my 4x4 as it's garaged for months on end.

A friend on automotiveforums.com (amigo2k) gave me the following, I pass it along as I found it helpful!

QUOTE:
I have my 58 Beetle in storage for 6 months.

I yank the battery and put it on a battery tender (I have one ment for motor bikes That I got for about 30 bucks).

I put in about 5 extra pounds of air in the tires. I think getting flat spots on tires it a thing of the past due to radial tires.

I also, added gas stabile to the tank and topped it off (ran it for about 15 mintues to get it mixed into the system).

Come April I'll drain the oil and fill'er back up (I'm worried about condinsation in the oil).

The only other steps I could do is pull the plugs and squirt so oil in, turn it over and put the plugs back in.
ENDQUOTE

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
palmer said:
I'm not sure that disconnecting the battery is a good idea. Get a battery tender (not a trickle charger), hook it up with the battery in place, and forget about it until spring. Works for my motorcycle, doesn't work too well for my TR3 (positive ground).

In the good old days, we'd pull the spark plugs and drop a teaspoon of oil directly into the cylinders. I don't believe that's done any longer, although others may disagree.

I use a battery tender on my Harley if only because the battery is so hard to remove. Since you have to disconnect it for the tender to properly work, removing the battery from the Sol and storing in warm place might be an easier and less exspensive solution.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There's no need to disconnect the battery while it's on the battery tender. The web site for one of the battery tender manufacturers (batterytender.com) indicates that you can even run the car radio, etc. while the battery is on the tender.

Unless Pontiac has changed its system, disconnecting the battery will cause the radio to stop functioning even when the battery is reconnected. I understand that Pontiac used this system to deter stereo thieves. The battery on my daughter's Firebird ran flat and we had to pay a Pontiac dealer to restore the radio.

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts