Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool: After an hour on the phone this is what I was told by GM. The wait list is only going to be used by the EOP until the first 1000 have confirmed. Calls could start at any time but will most likely start after the EOP program ends. It has been left up to the firm that was contracted to run the EOP. After the 1000 "lucky ones" have confirmed, the "wait listed" will get their Solstice based on dealer alocation. Your order at the dealer is what matters at this point, not your wait listed order. So if your order in line at the dealer is higher than your dealers initial allocation, you might want to find another dealer. I was also told that dealers will receive their initial alocation at roughly the same time (August is the goal). They do this by holding back completed cars until they have a significant number, then shipping will start, so as to not show too much preference between dealers. And here is something that I would like others to try to confirm. I was told that the special 1000 are going to be built second to the initial alocation vehicles. This will push their delivery to a later date. I asked for clarification and the example was that if you are on the wait list after confirmation of the first 1000 and you are first in line at your dealer you WILL receive your Soltice before the "lucky 1000".

Let's use this thread for information you get from people further up the food chain than your dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Very interesting. Hopefully we can get some more people to call in tomorrow and verify this. Please post the phone # you used here for those who want to try and don't know what it is.

·
Registered
228 Posts
All I want is my car by august. Thats my goal and I hope they can reach it.

For you guys on the wait list, I would see if you can be on the waitlist for eop and go ahead and order your car from the allocation. Most dealers only have a small allocation, people are coming in daily and putting orders down in front of those on the waitlist. At some point the people on the waitlist will not have a car to choose from

Note: Does anyone know the magic number for the "inital allocation" is it the total allocation for the 4 months devided by 4? I doubt theyll send a total allocation for a dealer at once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Billanong Get A Life

By August The Car Will Be Old News.........why By A Sports Car After The Summer......if Your Such A Big Fan You'll Pony Up For One Of The First 1000...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Billabongi said:
Note: Does anyone know the magic number for the "inital allocation" is it the total allocation for the 4 months devided by 4? I doubt theyll send a total allocation for a dealer at once.
Bill, The only light I can shed on this is that my dealer's order manager has an 'initial' allocation of FIVE Solstices. He had already gone into his order system and configured them for stock. When we went into the showroom on EOP day he took us in order and reconfigured his 5 cars to our desires in that order. The sixth and seventh people there were placed on hold orders for the second wave of his allocations. His words "within 6 months".

If this number is the same for every dealer, or if it may change based on sales volume, or other criteria I can't say.

Ordering and order management is his job, so I am assuming he is right for his dealership.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
nickwr24 said:
By August The Car Will Be Old News.........why By A Sports Car After The Summer......if Your Such A Big Fan You'll Pony Up For One Of The First 1000...
By August the excitement will still be there for fans of the car, just enhanced by owning it and driving it! Will there be general "street excitement" I doubt it. There are just going to be to few of them to go around to cause a general response. But, I'm willing to bet that NO dealer will have any trouble moving one within days of receiving it even a year from now!

I am also willing to bet that I will get stopped and quizzed constantly for the first 6 months!

As to "big fan" and paying over MSRP just to have one, Bull Puckey! All that does is encourage little profiteer-wanna-be's like you next time! If people stay sane and refuse to pay over MSRP somday this cr*p will end.

·
5,641 Posts
CarpeForem said:
1-800-762-2737
Be persistant. Keep asking to speak to someone who CAN answer your questions.
I know that you can't change the title of a thread, but you listed this a straight from GM HQ. The phone number you provided is Pontiac's Customer Assistance Center phone number. They are an outside vendor providing a service. It is not the Ren Center in Detroit.

The EOP 1000 first 1000 Solstices are to be deliverd by October 24, according to the program guidlines and rules. If as the call center said to you, the 1000 first 1000 EOP cars are built after the first regular allocation cars, that would mean November production. The initial regular allocation numbers cover four months of production, which Pontiac has called July-August-September-October.

I believe it is another call center operator trying to be a hero and answering a persistant callers questions. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
CarpeForem said:
I was told that the special 1000 are going to be built second to the initial alocation vehicles. This will push their delivery to a later date. I asked for clarification and the example was that if you are on the wait list after confirmation of the first 1000 and you are first in line at your dealer you WILL receive your Soltice before the "lucky 1000".
That's got to be the DUMBEST thing I've ever heard. Don't get me wrong, Carpe ... that's not aimed at you. But the whole point of the EOP was to get one of the "FIRST 1000" cars ... it even says that on the emblem. I know GM has made some boneheaded moves so far, but surely they can't be that STUPID! :willy: If so, you can bet headlines everywhere are going to be ridiculing Pontiac for this entire promotion. I can see the July headlines now ... "GM plays April Fools on customers, but can't even keep that on schedule."

·
Registered
936 Posts
I got one of the first 1000 and I hope GM is watching because I want them to know I plan to hold them to it. You cant promise people the first 1000 and give it to them months after others are on the road. I don't really think this would be the case as I give them more credit than that. The first 1000 will have to be the first delivered to be first.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I got one of the first 1000 and I hope GM is watching because I want them to know I plan to hold them to it. You cant promise people the first 1000 and give it to them months after others are on the road. I don't really think this would be the case as I give them more credit than that. The first 1000 will have to be the first delivered to be first.
:agree: And with all the people we have here, if they do the unthinkable, we can probably have a class-action lawsuit filed in the courts before our dealers even get word of the problem. :lol:

·
Registered
228 Posts
ateam_77 said:
All they to do is be the first 1000 Retail Orders Produced and you have no leg to stand on whatsoever. They could very well hold the cars for a special delivery date for all 1000 while the cars made after that 1001-2000 and so on would be delivered first.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Billabongi said:
All they to do is be the first 1000 Retail Orders Produced and you have no leg to stand on whatsoever. They could very well hold the cars for a special delivery date for all 1000 while the cars made after that 1001-2000 and so on would be delivered first.
Agreed ... either first produced or first delivered could count as "first 1000" (though it would make no sense to hold them back). However, the information provided was that they would be produced after the others AND delivered after the others. So that leaves two choices ... either that information is WRONG (my personal belief) or GM will have a lawsuit on their hands because their entire promontion was based on the "first 1000" idea.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In situations/controversies like these, I've learned to pay attention to whatever Small Dealer says. (He has commented earlier in this thread.)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I got one of the first 1000
Uhhh, nowhere that I remember did GM say they would be the first 1000 cars produced. If you read it, it says you will be one of the first 1000 retail orders.

It was an Early Order Program. You get a plaque and a piece of paper saying you were one of the first 1000 people (as apposed to dealers) to order a Solstice.

I think some people have bought something different than what they think.

What's special about the first 1,000 exclusive retail orders of the 2006 Pontiac Solstice?

The first 1,000 exclusive retail orders will include:

Special VIN sequence from 1 to 1,000
Exclusive IP trim badge
Certificate of Authenticity
Other Solstice premiums, including a commemorative edition Solstice die-cast model (scale 1:18) with First 1,000 trim plate
It doesn't even promise the 1000 to be the first to own one.

http://www.pontiac.com/apprentice/faqs.jsp

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
From the FAQ section of the Pontiac/Apprentice website where people got their Apprentice codes:

Are these the first 1,000 units built for retail sale?
Yes.
The 2006 Pontiac Solstice retail orders are considered the first 1,000 retail orders placed.

This clearly states that the EOP cars will be the first units built for retail sale. Are these the first 1,000 units built for retail sale?
Yes.

So maybe they'll build one for Bob Lutz, Donald Trump, the Apprentice winner, or for various other corporate purposes, but the EOP cars should be the first 1,000 retail sales delivered to customers.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
But VINs are assigned to cars before they go on the line. (and not necessarily in numeric order).

So while they may be considered the first they will be dispersed among other cars while being assembled. I'll bet that quite a few of the cars on dealer's lots will have an earlier build date than some of the 1000.

·
Registered
936 Posts
What I call one of the first thousand would have to be first delivered. It makes no sense to have Pontiac say you got one of the first 1000 so we are going to build them first and hold them while others are built and delivered. No one went through this EOP thing to have one built first and held to after the other cars. I don't care what order it is built in I care that it is first delivered.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
LBJay said:
But VINs are assigned to cars before they go on the line. (and not necessarily in numeric order).

So while they may be considered the first they will be dispersed among other cars while being assembled. I'll bet that quite a few of the cars on dealer's lots will have an earlier build date than some of the 1000.
OK ... maybe there's a bit of a language barrier here or something, but the word "built" (as in "the first 1,000 units built for retail sale") means assembled or put together. The process used to assign VIN numbers or any other paperwork involved is irrelevant. Either they are the first 1000 built or they are not. If they are not, there WILL be big legal problems for GM.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts