Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to my friend's shop, he cut the muffler off and welded in a piece of stainless pipe to curve back to the outlet for the tip. Just have to say, car sounds absolutely fantastic. I was pleased with the results. It does not drone at all (my biggest concern). By no means is this a huge performance mod, but if you're looking for more sound from the Sol for an inexpensive price, this may be a good option.

I am running an Envious 07 NA Base with the auto.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
diff strokes....... i couldn't stand down pipe - lord i thought it sounded like a $500 hoopdee...........but folks did get out the way :yesnod: at least they knew i was there

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Straight pipe! When I saw this blog, I had to take a listen to WHITTIER BOULEVARD -THE VENTURES and then come back. The straight six Chebbys with the split manifolds and duel straight pipes; woom-BAHHHHHHH.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must stand corrected. Today is day 2 with the straight pipes.....SUCKS on the highway with the top up. around 70 the drone is simply unbearable. I had to shift my car into 4 to get the car out of that RPM range (3k-3800). I will be working on getting a new exhaust system for the car VERY soon. Possibly buying a GXP stock system.

·
Registered
204 Posts
^^^^ lol,
I have been thinking of doing this also because I just want a louder exhaust without paying bank. After reading the first initial post I told myself "Dammit, I'm gona do this ****, it does sound good!" Now i'm not so sure with post #6. :(

Since I dont run my car on the freeway much, do you think around town would still work?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sounds like you want a Solo Mach Shorty. All the cool sounds without the drone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I have the Solo Street Race Exhaust (basically a straight pipe), no drone at ANY RPM...... I also had a Solo HFC and had no issue.... but I have a GXP....so the turbo kind of acts a little like a muffler.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Redflash: Around town it sounds fantastic. It's loud but not obnoxious. The tone is fantastic. Frankly I would keep my car like this, but I do a lot of highway driving and I would rather not keep it in 4th gear the whole time over the road. It's a pretty cheap way of getting good sound out of the car. Cheap enough that if you don't like it, you can change it without kicking yourself in the arse 900 times over. My mod cost me like $75 at a local shop. Granted I went with alumanized steel pipe rather than stainless, but even still, not a bad option.

I've ordered a GXP valance, I'm now currently looking for a good exhaust option. I do want the dual exhaust for looks. I still want a loud exhaust, just not drony.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
We have an excellent stock audio system with 8 Monsoon's and a built in equalizer. Learn how to use them to cancel the drone. :yawn:

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I agree with duck. Crank up the Metallica!
Back in my teenage years, my best friend had an old Ford Pinto. the muffler had a hole in it or something and if you drop it in low and let it rev up real good and then get off the gas, that thing would backfire and sound like a shotgun. the best time was when we drove down this street and there were 4 black guys running and we did the bang right next to them and every one of them dove into the ditch next to the street, I still laugh when I think about it and that was 40 years ago. freakin priceless.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey Scottyh214 where are you. I have a stock GXP exhaust I have been trying to give away. I took it off the car at about 6 K miles.

Don

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I have the 3 in. Magna Flow W/solo Hi Flow Cat. It gives a good babble when you let off the gas but not " over obnoxious "

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I agree MagnaFlow :agree:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts