Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My guess is this has something to do with packaging of the vehicle and accidental non-removal, buttttt, to ask the experts, is a piece of black foam 1/2" thick x 2.5" tall by apx. 8" in length supposed to be at the front of the vehicle, just passenger side, stuck there under the hood when you open it, with about 2.5" of it's length actually stuck into the intake opening for the air intake on a GXP turbo? Being a new car, and a total gear head, I've been pouring over this thing, and there it was today when I was playing around/inspecting the air filter and intake. The way it was stuck there it seemed like it had no place, so for now it is removed.

As a side note, what is all that junk in front of the box....the intake isn't just a tube, but rather a tube with like side plastic boxes that have little tubes leading into them?

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
My guess is this has something to do with packaging of the vehicle and accidental non-removal, buttttt, to ask the experts, is a piece of black foam 1/2" thick x 2.5" tall by apx. 8" in length supposed to be at the front of the vehicle, just passenger side, stuck there under the hood when you open it, with about 2.5" of it's length actually stuck into the intake opening for the air intake on a GXP turbo? Being a new car, and a total gear head, I've been pouring over this thing, and there it was today when I was playing around/inspecting the air filter and intake. The way it was stuck there it seemed like it had no place, so for now it is removed.

As a side note, what is all that junk in front of the box....the intake isn't just a tube, but rather a tube with like side plastic boxes that have little tubes leading into them?
I'm going to definitely say it was for shipping purposes only. The intake has a lot of chambers to dampen the sound, so you don't get as much engine noise. Not so great for performance though.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
The intake has a lot of chambers to dampen the sound, so you don't get as much engine noise. Not so great for performance though.
What leads you to that conclusion? Everything I've seen says the intake is the one NON-restricting part of the engine and that aftermarket intakes (incl the GMPP one) do nothing but make the noise louder.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Everything I've seen says the intake is the one NON-restricting part of the engine and that aftermarket intakes (incl the GMPP one) do nothing but make the noise louder.
:agree: That snorkel may be goofy looking but it IS efficient. :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I"m sure it's a pretty free intake, that short little runner tube right at the front of the car where I found the leftover foam feeds right into what I would consider a very large air cleaner element box, and from there is a pretty good size tube over to the turbo. The side chambers in the short runner tube (there appear to be 2, one on each side) I would not think would restrict airflow in the least, they just have side openings, so I guess they played with these for sound deadening and/or tone change.

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
The intake has a lot of chambers to dampen the sound, so you don't get as much engine noise. Not so great for performance though.
Absolutely incorrect. No gain is made going to any other intake, although it is easy to lose power and drivability by fitting the wrong one.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Absolutely incorrect. No gain is made going to any other intake, although it is easy to lose power and drivability by fitting the wrong one.
Maybe not HP by numbers, but what about throttle response and the loss of the dead weight from the thick rubber tubes and two heavy plastic boxes? Not to mention better heat transfer as there is less crap in the engine bay. I'm not saying it's a huge performance gain by dumping it for a CAI, but it is a gain; both visually and performance.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
I find throttle response is more related to how fast the motor will open it. I miss having the throttle directly connected to my foot

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Maybe not HP by numbers, but what about throttle response and the loss of the dead weight from the thick rubber tubes and two heavy plastic boxes? Not to mention better heat transfer as there is less crap in the engine bay. I'm not saying it's a huge performance gain by dumping it for a CAI, but it is a gain; both visually and performance.
Nope - doesn't happen. No change and any weight difference is trivial. Zero performance benefit.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Also our intake is a CAI.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Also our intake is a CAI.
Whereas most aftermarket intakes are WAIs... that'd be warm air intakes... They take in engine bay air, not pulling from somewhere cooler like the stock box does.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Whereas most aftermarket intakes are WAIs... that'd be warm air intakes... They take in engine bay air, not pulling from somewhere cooler like the stock box does.
Maybe that's where the performance issue is? The K&N intake shows a 5.41hp increase and a 6.07ft/lb increase in performance. Perhaps because it has a heat shield.

That said, it's ridiculous to pay that much money for 5hp. lol...

·
Registered
6,934 Posts
Noticed that you own an NA. There are some very modest power improvements possible with them, but none for the LNF engine in stock form as the factory system flows enough already (that's what the rest of us were talking about). I agree with you that the cost for a 5 bhp bump on an NA may not be worthwhile

·
Registered
459 Posts
I was able to get a pretty decent power improvement on my 2.4 NA by installing a new cold air intake which is attached to a LS3/480. Works much better. :)

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I was able to get a pretty decent power improvement on my 2.4 NA by installing a new cold air intake which is attached to a LS3/480. Works much better. :)
But does it have a heat shield and a K&N sticker? ;) lol...

:party:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had to take the K&N sticker off, because it had way too much power while it was on there. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts