Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the switch next to the dashboardlightknob is for? It is a strange switch because it is a bit loose and has a little light on it. I have a picture but don't know how to post it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That would normally be the traction control button but someone may have installed something else there. GLWT

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
the top button is the emergency flashers toggle
the button in the center is the fog light switch
the button on the bottom is the toggle for TC off, ECS off, all off, all on
The button on the left is brightness for the dash lights

If it does not look like the photo, then someone has changed out the control.

:thumbs:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Mine is an 06 NA and I have 3 on the right. from the top: Hazzard, fog, dimmer and there is no light on the dimmer.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Face it. The guys who did the interior detail design and decisions, like placement of switches and light or not to light, must have been on an all night party before coming to work.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I thought this was the 'guy' that designed the interior of the Solstice (Vicki Vlachakis) :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rob, your not alone. My 2007 GXP dimmer switch lights up.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I want a dimmer switch that lights up!

(My 2008 does not, I also have a spare from an '06 that doesn't)

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Illuminated IP dimmer switch....2/6/2018...from the dead

OK, did anyone ever find out what's the deal with the dimmer switch being illuminated on some cars and not on others/

I hate not being able to see the damn thing at night. Since I have a new switch that I could install, any idea how to check for illumination? I've been dealing with the stream of consciousness factory service manual set where an index is non existant and the vocabulary seems to be as mysterious as the paint on the GXP.

Thanks for any information. Easy to run into dead ends in the forum archieves or go down a rabbit hole I never would have considered.

Richard Snipes

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
OK, you guys made me go out to the garage and check mine, and it does not light up. I know in my '08 Grand Prix there are several buttons on the dash that used to lit that no longer are, not sure what would have to be done to fix them but in that case, not really worth the effort.

·
Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
I have '06 Sol, '07 Sky, and '08 M-Car manuals, and none show any indication that the dimmer control is illuminated. The Sky and Sol use different dimmer controls, and that is reflected in the dedicated manuals where different pin-outs are shown. Oddly, the combined manual does not indicate that the two cars are different when it seems to do so for every other component that I know are different and that I have looked up. Is it an omission in the '08 manual? Or was a change made?

As far as determining if your control is capable of illumination, you can do it rather easily with a meter. Two of the terminals are connected to a 5k variable resistor that provides the dimming signal to the BCM. The manual indicates C-D (C is ground) for the 4-wire Sol control and B-C (B is ground) for the 5-wire Sky and undifferentiated '08 control. Once you have identified these two terminals look for two others that have continuity between them, or one that has continuity to the ground wire. If you find a pair, put 12 volts across them and see if you get a light.

Even if you have a lighted control you will need a 3- or 4-wire harness connection, and none of the manuals suggest that one exists.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Face it. The guys who did the interior detail design and decisions, like placement of switches and light or not to light, must have been on an all night party before coming to work.
It was actually a woman. Not a joke. True fact.
Posted before I saw the post about Vicki. I actually have a picture of her sitting in a Solstice tweaking the layout. IIRC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts