Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this will be a popular topic over next year or so...how do you plan to get a good price on a 1st year model with low production numbers?

One example - If one is willing to order early before any supply/demand issues arise at dealerships they might catch a break. 6 months prior to delivery a dealer will be willing to book an order for half hour's work at reasonable price?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Answering my own questions here :wink

Looking at some new GTO forums it doesn't look good for us. MSRP is best most people could do and appears they are happy to get it. Some dealers asking outrageous price over sticker. Some people are waiting for supply to catchup with demand months down the road but others think with low numbers that won't happen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would expect that there would be no car specific rebates or incentives available. If Pontiac had a deal going on all their cars I would expect that the Solstice would be excluded.
I've already accepted that the sticker price is what I'm gonna have to pay. I don't like it but I'll do it to be the first on the block.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've seen GTO's here in CA that are priced at $5-10k over MSRP. Dealers call it a 'market adjustment', yet often times the car sits there unsold for a long time.

In any regards, I am pretty certain this will not last for more than a few months for the GTO, and I would expect the Solstice to be the same.

Compare to the Mitsu Evo. When it came out, people were paying $20k over MSRP to get one - several sold for over $50k! Now, they again sell for MSRP or even less.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Buy when demand is low

As always, buy what you want when the demand is low, for whatever reason. When that will happen for the Solstice is the $64 question. I would assume that after the other Kappa variants are available, six months or so later, the demand would
be spread over more vehicles and prices would become negotiable. But you never can tell. I remember when the first Ford Mustang came out - Ford never expected any reaction like they got. It was probably the first Ford in history that sold for list price.

·
Registered
281 Posts
it will also depend, somewhat, on dealer competition in your local area. the closest pontiac dealer near me recently called my dad and told him they would knock 1000 of the GTOs 33K sticker. they have 5-6 on the lot, and to my knowledge, havent sold a single one. but, im sure their strict no test drive til buy policy has something to do with that.

another weird thing, theres a brand new, never titled 2002 grand prix GT sitting on the showroom floor. it seems they didnt know they had it. it was found a week ago in their storage facility. 26K sticker and they offered me 13K off on the spot. lol. :D

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The key to getting a good price on a new car is patience, willingness to travel, research and flexibility. If you have to be the first one to have one your screwed. If you don't want to shop outside you town your screwed. If you don't know how the car sales business is run your screwed. If the car you want is so specialized that they have to order it, your screwed.

The best way to go is to decide which model, options and colors you want and then go home. Do a little research on the net to see what the dealers are actually paying for your car. This is usually not the dealer invoice. Then add a fair profit for the dealer onto their cost. Put youself in their shoes, they do need to make money.

When you have all your research done, type up an offer to the dealers telling them what you want and what items you are willing to negotiate on (remeber they want to move cars already built most) and a bottom line price. Then fax it to every sales department within a 500 mile radius and wait for the responses to come in. Avoid talking to salepeople in person. Keep it impersonal and unemotional. Do not phone or email. The phone will give them a chance to find a weakness in you and email is to easily ignored or not taken seriously. Remeber you are conducting business not buying your dream car.

If every dealer declines your offer then you know you have to try again with a higher offer or wait until the beginning of the next model year. In the case of the Solstice, I think the best anyone will do will be MSRP for the first year. Most dealers will put outrageous markups on them to see what the market will bear. Given the cars good looks, newness, limited production and low MSRP, I think some dealers may try to mark it up by as much as 10k the first six months to a year. After all Honda has been getting that for a similar product for years and the Pontiac is NEW. Keep trying, their are honest dealers who make their money off of volume more than profit margin.

This method has always worked for me. We'll need all the help we can to get a good price. This forum will help as long as whenever someone gets a good deal they post when and where for the rest of us. Remember most people buy cars on impulse and emotion. Using you brain helps.

Good hunting to us all!:cheers

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gouging over MSRP is going to be a problem for me. Price is the biggest driver for this car and they better not ruin it....10k, crap I'd be in the competition's dealership in a minute.

·
Registered
535 Posts
As much as I desire this car I simply remind myself it is just a car. And being that it's a car it will depreciate just as they all do. We are talking about a Pontiac not Ferrari. Six months or less after launch, no one will be getting MSRP+ so does it matter that much to be first?
There is too much competition out there right now to be able to gouge that much. When the Miata came out there was nothing similar at the time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mike52 said:
Since buying the car in the fall will mean that it sits in the garage until spring, I might as well wait 5-6 months.

Mike
I'll probably be right there next to you man. Sux but what can you do :banghead

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, I emailed them (GM) explaining why a fall release for an open air roadster just doesn't make it, but all I got was a reply from some one saying basically, "its set in stone".
Oh well. Can always hope that they are wrong and the car will come out, say, in June.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing. The release date must be for those dudes who live in Florida, California, or Arizona, and prefer to drive a car like this in the winter.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They will soon finish producing the Saturn L car and then retool the plant for Kappa production. I read somewhere that might take a year which looks to be most of the delay. Some guy got a GM cars flyer in his bill that said summer 2005 which makes more sense...hoping the Marketing wiz kids will beat them into getting it out for the summer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts