Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Msrp

MSRP until the first allocation hits street. Then they will be like all other GM products, 5%-10% drop once driven off the lot.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think that there will be some sort of collectors value. There is always someone willing to pay for something unique, but finding them may be the hard part

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I just like the idea of buying something worth more than I'm paying for it. I thought the limited number of units and high demand would be worth something. I'm not parting with the car, just want to feel good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same feelings for a 2002 Harley VRod. All the magazines said it was the hot bike to get. I got one paid MSRP plus $2K in mandatory accessories, around $20.5K I'm trying to sell it now for a down stroke on a Solstice. Current eBay sell price is $12.5K. "When they're hot, they're hot, when they're not, they're not."

One of the reasons I keep taking cold showers when thinking about the Solstice. The turbo charged automatic next year could be hotter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
High volume means low profit

Although we are all bias about how wonderful we think this car is and will be. The car is still a massed produced low dollar investment (prices of cars as a whole). But like anything new and exciting, the demand will be high for them. This is a supply and demand value only. I'm sure some people will pay over MSRP when they first hit the road, but once they are on the road in numbers the prices will drop. Remember the PT Cruiser? If not for the turbo and convertible options they would have fallen off the face of the car map. I expect GM is planning the same for the Solstice and Sky too.

If you really want to sell your car for a profit, do it quick! Once the dealers have them in quantities they won't even sell for MSRP anymore. GM marketing knows this and will try and trickle some cars out to the dealers early if possible to generate the press and make a profit on them.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
25 years down the line there might be some collector value to a "first 1000" car in perfect condition....and as Delnari said at first during a short window it will have some value as well.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Solcticewannabe said:
I had the same feelings for a 2002 Harley VRod. All the magazines said it was the hot bike to get. I got one paid MSRP plus $2K in mandatory accessories, around $20.5K I'm trying to sell it now for a down stroke on a Solstice. Current eBay sell price is $12.5K. "When they're hot, they're hot, when they're not, they're not."

One of the reasons I keep taking cold showers when thinking about the Solstice. The turbo charged automatic next year could be hotter.

I started shopping for a V-rod late in the 2002 model year and was amazed at the 25k plus price being asked (and some actually paying!). Ended up ordering a 2003. Since then even the MSRP has dropped and as you stated the resale value.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I imagine they will always be worth a little more than a normal production Solstice but only to a select group of people. I view it in the same category on as a limited edition option package but without the silly stick on stripes. But as others have said, maximum value will be in the first month or so when they are the only cars on the market.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Swinging Steak said:
So you don't think there is any "collector" value on the first 1000?
Not for 30 years, and that's if the Solstice is even around as a nameplate. The Solstice has NO history. We may be witnessing history, though (I hope).

The first Corvettes back in '53 weren't the hottest performance cars around, either. That car legend started pretty humbly, but with more powerful engines, and better performance, the legend grew quickly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Could be a new future Supercar

Just as the Corvette began as a simple 2 seater with a modest engine, so could the Solstice on it's way to fame. Imagine if GM changes this car in the ways the Corvette has changed throughout the past years. We could be seeing the birth of a 500 hp American super car! Car experts like Chuck Mallett, www.mallettcars.com, is just now building an affordable high output version early next year. With GM's new LS7 small block about to be launched this fall, and the improvements in drivelines we could be at the dawn on a new American icon.

No specifications have been released, but I see the Solstice being powered by the new LS7 engine, 6-speed transmission, 6-piston caliber brakes, 13" rotors, 19" rear wheels, true high flow dual exhaust (checkout the underside of the kappa frame), and removable hard-top option. I know this is all dreaming at the moment, but it looks possible. Whether this becomes part of the GM performance market or 3rd party retailers!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well, along that note, is it safe to assume that GM will offer some bolt-on upgrades for us original Sol buyers? I've read elsewhere on the forum that they'll be offering a catback intake and exhaust. Do you think they'll offer something comparable to the turbo/supercharger that's going in the "turbo" Solstice?

From all I've read, including Mallett's early foray into the mix, it looks pretty promising for upgrading/customizing your own mean street machine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Solcticewannabe said:

Just like your VROD, the Solstice is first of an all new breed. A new way of doing small car business vs. first water cooled HD. They will have limited production. It will take time, both of these will be worth having. :yesnod:

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you're going to sell it for a profit, either do it quick, or hang on to it for MANY years. This car IS automotive history, just don't know if it's the next "53 Corvette", or the "Edsel". Only time will tell!! :yesnod:

For the most part I plan on keeping mine under wraps...It WILL be a conversation peice!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
mceb said:
25 years down the line there might be some collector value to a "first 1000" car in perfect condition....and as Delnari said at first during a short window it will have some value as well.
So...If I live to be 80+, I might make a profit. I'll be so senile; I'll probably give it away. :lol:

·
Registered
504 Posts
I really don't care what it's worth to the general population.It is worth more than they can afford to me.I didn't get the Donaldwannabe car for its resale value.I got it for bragging rites. :devil:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've never made money on a car or truck in my life. I doubt I'll start now. I really like the looks of this thing, so that's all that matters to me. I'm also glad to be able to buy an American roadster!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Msrp

I am assuming everybody on this forum has paid MSRP for the car for pre-orders. I'm new to the forum. I pre-ordered my car on April 15th, but I haven't heard anything. I got my order confirmation around 3pm on the 15th...it took about an hour for my dealership to get their computer to work, so I know I didn't make the 41 minute timeline for the first 1000; however I haven't checked on my pre-order since I ordered it.

I guess my questions are...did anybody pay less or more than MSRP?

Has the first 1000 been confirmed yet?

Does calling Pontiac help or is it the typical corporate phone run around conversation of the left hand not know what the right is doing?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is easy to see what the value will be in 10-15 years, just look at the Fiero/Reatta/Allante. The only one where a low milage and excellent example (including convertibles) is selling for even half MSRP is the Fiero (V-6 only).

Good news is the higher the MSRP, the worse the value ratio but also the first year of each is also the lowest current value so are still declining.

Even muscle cars of the 70s have this problem, the major reason for their increasing prices (other than 100 point restos) is the declining value of the dollar, not appreciation.

Typically two seaters depreciate quicker than sedans is for two reasons:
1) often "rode hard and put away wet"
2) early adopters often discover a need for more seats within 5-10 years

So the real way to make money is to wait ten years and buy a really nice example for wholesale but what's the fun in that ?

GM also understands that to keep the momentum going you hold back on some items that are going to be really popular so it is usually the last year of a model run that becomes the most valuable, not the first (may change after 40-50 years when most are coffee tables anyway and not driven).

Frankly, the initial run of any car at MSRP+ is a terrible investment but what is the emotional value of having the first ? GM is counting on it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts