Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally a new tech post!

Okay guys, not a Solstice but an 05 Cobalt LS w/automatic.

Stock she did 121 horsepower and 118 pound of torque at the wheels, at 7 PSI intercooled with the STS kit bolted on she put down 193 horsepower and 198 pounds of torque. The power curves pretty much stayed the same just went up 70 horses. Thats the 2.2 L with a 10:1 compression ratio

A taste of whats in store for the Sol'. ;)

·
Registered
905 Posts
So maybe a little less then 70HP increase for the Solstice since it's got a slightly higher compression ratio?

·
Registered
139 Posts
it would be higher bc of the higher compression, correct? but as a result of the high compression, a better cooling system would be needed because of the extra heat, correct?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sweet, the golden 250HP might be possible after all. Keep us updated! I hope to be able to afford one after I get my tax return in February.

·
5,600 Posts
I can see that good things are coming! Thanks for cracking open the blinds. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the high compression ratio an intercooler will be required and at 7/8 PSI you would need something like methanol injection. Methanol is great stuff that increases octane and drops your intake temps way down. As it enters the manifold it actually drops the boost pressure a bit to help the pistons. Methanol can be purchased from any local chemical company; I pay about $2 a gallon. Meth is kind of an oily alcohol so it doesn't corrode your internals like denatured alcohol might. Most guys just use their windshield washer tank to store the meth; yes you can spray it on your windshield.

A great set up would be to cruise around town at 5 PSI with out Meth and use a dual stage boost controller to flip over to say 8 PSI and activate the methanol system. I have my car wired so when I flip a switch it automatically actives the Meth and puts me up to about 8 PSI.

An electronic boost controller and methanol kit are usually about $550 which isn't bad for allowing you to pick up another 35% power increase. I figure 8 PSI with methanol injection on the 2.4L you would be looking at about 240 rear wheel horsepower

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
bradyb, how long does the Meth usually last for? Also how do you know you're going to run out soon in vehicles without washer fluid warning systems?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Meth lasts about three times longer then Nitrous. You will need to fill up after a weekend filled with 1/4 mile runs , street racing, and dyno runs. It just comes on at high boost so its up to you when you want to use it.

If you use your windshield washer reservior the solstice will probably tell you when the washer fluid is low. The Meth kit itself comes with three LEDs, there is a red LED that lights up when you don't have enough pressure from the pump or when it starts to run out of fluid.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Is there any way to do without the Meth and just buy a better intercooler to keep things cool at 7/8 PSI?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adrenaline said:
Is there any way to do without the Meth and just buy a better intercooler to keep things cool at 7/8 PSI?
Other then just dropping your intake temps methanol has an octane rating of 140 which is why it's so forgiving. I guess you could run 8 PSI intercooled but you would probably need race fuel. You could just pull a ton of timing to prevent detonation but that would kill horsepower.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's one way to get the power. Another would be for GM to take the same block and change the heads and lower compression 8 to 1 and pump 12 PSI of turbo boost in. Hmmm, how much power would that make again...

·
Registered
905 Posts
bradyb said:
Other then just dropping your intake temps methanol has an octane rating of 140 which is why it's so forgiving. I guess you could run 8 PSI intercooled but you would probably need race fuel. You could just pull a ton of timing to prevent detonation but that would kill horsepower.
Hmm, well hopefully you'll find alternatives :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Would a spacer head gasket be an easier route to lower CR?
That's the cheap way to do it, and the drop in compression with a thicker gasket is not really a good amount either. You also introduce the problem with the new gasket not seating properly, and if this happens a few pings could blow the gasket. I have heard of a head spacer but never used them. Believe me, if you are going to go to the trouble of removing the head from the engine then doing a piston swap will not be that much more work or labor expense. Granted pistons/rods/bearings cost a lot more than a good head gasket, but going the extra expense will allow you create a bottom end to take a lot more PSI than anything the factory would release.

Swap the pistons/rods/bearings out and get a turbo unit capable of producing up to 26 PSI (run it at 22-24 PSI) and the right safety electronics (turbo timer, larger BOV, etc) and you will be making large HP numbers!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Delnari said:
That's one way to get the power. Another would be for GM to take the same block and change the heads and lower compression 8 to 1 and pump 12 PSI of turbo boost in. Hmmm, how much power would that make again...
That's the advantages of a four cylinder, you can take it out and rebuild it on your kitchen table. It wouldn't be very diffecult to make Evo type numbers with a built motor and 8.5:1 compression. You can kiss your streetability good bye though with the piggy back tuning you would need. Dialing your car in every time a weather system moves through isn't too fun if it's your daily driver.

I'm hoping GM will release tuning through the back door for the Ecotec like they have with the LS1. There are at least four different software programs to tune GM's LSX motors. My car at 5 PSI is 100% stock even down to the injectors, all I did is make some adjustments to the stock ECU.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The closest I've come to turbocharging is adding nitrous to my impala. Are there any good books out there that can help me get started on the right path?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Bradyb, any estimate on how long after you get a "test mule" you'll be able to have an STS Turbo available?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts