Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
$$ISKING said:
Any noticeable fall off in radio reception??
No fall off in reception that I noticed. But then it may matter where you live and I find that XM is so much better than "free radio". :cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
on a side note

my mom has a chevy trailblazer with on-star and it has a little flexible stubby antenna (about 2.5") and I unscrewed it and it looks like it will fit the solstice too! I wonder if they are cheap to buy from the dealer? anyone else try this

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
hatetowait said:
my mom has a chevy trailblazer with on-star and it has a little flexible stubby antenna (about 2.5") and I unscrewed it and it looks like it will fit the solstice too! I wonder if they are cheap to buy from the dealer? anyone else try this
Nothing is Cheap to buy from the dealer....:lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
hatetowait said:
I have checked out the onstar antenna from GM products, Trailblazer, Malibu, and Tahoe/Suburban and they are 5mm and also the hole in them is not deep enough, (I was going to drill out and re-tap but I don't think it will work. The stem on the Sol is 6mm no doubt. I haven't found the exact one I want yet but I am still lookin. I may make something on the lathe.

Sly-all but onstar, want turbo baaaaad

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm surprised at how many owners are switching to the short antenna. I actually prefer the look of the stock. Is there a reason, besides looks, all of you are switching? Do the short perform better?

·
Registered
710 Posts
You might be able to take it to a machine shop and have it tapped out to 6MM.

O_A_G said:
I had ordered the I-series 3.5" stubby and selected the Pontiac Vibe. It won't work for me because it has the wrong size female end. It came with a male adapter for the right size, but I don't think the threaded bolt comes out of the antennae mount. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
85 Posts
"Short" is better

Devil Dog said:
I'm surprised at how many owners are switching to the short antenna. I actually prefer the look of the stock. Is there a reason, besides looks, all of you are switching? Do the short perform better?
I want a short antenna for looks, I tried the 12-14 inch pliable one from Advance Auto and it seems to be noisy. The factory ones that have the swirl around them from top to bottom are for wind noise reduction and they DO work but I don't think they look good for this short of a car. I have the 6 disc and XM so I am not really concerned about reception anyway
:yesnod: .

Sly-all but onstar

·
Registered
185 Posts
Devil Dog said:

I got mine just for looks...I have the mp3 radio and just have mp3 cd's with hundreds of songs and never listen to the radio. I did not like the "remote control car" look with the stock antenna. I did test it out and I still pick up radio stations from Milwaukee (I live 45 minutes away) I wish the car had a hidden antenna from the factory like my wrx (I think inside the a-pilar)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Do you have a pic that is taken a little farther away so we can get an idea of what it looks like with the rest of the car?

hatetowait said:
I got mine just for looks...I have the mp3 radio and just have mp3 cd's with hundreds of songs and never listen to the radio. I did not like the "remote control car" look with the stock antenna. I did test it out and I still pick up radio stations from Milwaukee (I live 45 minutes away) I wish the car had a hidden antenna from the factory like my wrx (I think inside the a-pilar)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Devil Dog said:
I went to the sort one, 3 inches by Caraccesory, type "O" because of a car cover and it also removes the temptation of someone snapping the long one. No difference in reception and it looks doesn't mess up the lines of the car. ~~ Trent :cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Temple said:
Do you have a pic that is taken a little farther away so we can get an idea of what it looks like with the rest of the car?

not yet...today is not nice out by me...I will take one once it is sunny out

·
Registered
471 Posts
The car cover makes sense. I also never thought about it looking like a remote controlled car. As small as it is I guess it could be. :)

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
710 Posts
So after all this talk...I wonder if we can find OEM antenna's from other car manufactures that are rubber and female 6mm. If anyone knows of such an antenna please do let me know. I would love to find something like the S2000 antenna for the Solstice.

·
Registered
185 Posts
got some pics

went to check on some other things and got some shots of the stub

and I also forgot that I like it for the ease of use with my car cover....

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
hatetowait said:
went to check on some other things and got some shots of the stub
and I also forgot that I like it for the ease of use with my car cover....
Thanks for the info, hatetowait! I ordered this antenna today. :)

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
The ONSTAR antenna WIL NOT WORK, all you get is static, it has to do with the frequency the antenna is designed to work with, I tried the analog ONSTAR version and the Digital and neither worked.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Clipping the OEM antenna

Has anyone tried just clipping about 1/2 to 3/4 the length off of the OEM antenna? Would it still work after this? Would it look like crap? Look ok?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Road Trip said:
Has anyone tried just clipping about 1/2 to 3/4 the length off of the OEM antenna? Would it still work after this? Would it look like crap? Look ok?
I think somebody cut it down to 1/2 size, then capped the end off with "something". Try a little searching. There were a couple of lengthy antenna threads, where different mods were tried and discussed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
dengel said:
I think somebody cut it down to 1/2 size, then capped the end off with "something". Try a little searching. There were a couple of lengthy antenna threads, where different mods were tried and discussed.
Found it here:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13478&highlight=Antenna

"The OEM mast is great does not Whistle. A few of us tried a bunch of other mast and waisted our money.

We went back to the OEM mast and just cut it at the length we wanted and heat shrinked tube around the tip. Cheaper at a lot better."

41 - 60 of 115 Posts