Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
What I would like to find, and have asked about on this thread, is.....

Does anyone know of an antenna that offers the best "bang for the look"? In other words, "if you go any shorter than THIS antenna, you lose reception at a much faster rate.". Where is that sweet spot? The stock antenna gets great reception, looks like crap. The 4" antenna looks great, but the reception is greatly limited. So, the sweet spot is somewhere in between. I asked in my original post, IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO WORKS IN BROADCAST ENGINEERING who can give us some insight?

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
JeffInDFW said:
What I would like to find, and have asked about on this thread, is.....

Does anyone know of an antenna that offers the best "bang for the look"? In other words, "if you go any shorter than THIS antenna, you lose reception at a much faster rate.". Where is that sweet spot? The stock antenna gets great reception, looks like crap. The 4" antenna looks great, but the reception is greatly limited. So, the sweet spot is somewhere in between. I asked in my original post, IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO WORKS IN BROADCAST ENGINEERING who can give us some insight?
I looked at about 20 different sites for a concise layman's explanation but couldn't find one. I found some great bits and pieces here and there but it would take a bunch of compiled reading to extract it all. I found some Navy formulas & graphs that said they were "basic" but I think almost all of us here would find them way beyond acceptable in this forum. I found people debating SWR readings and their accuracy to what constitutes an ideal, I found expert people doing exstensive prototypes trying to do trial and error construction of an antenna for their own needs, and only doing as good as coming up with a compromise conclusion etc. Experts only seem to agree that no one has an absolute answer.
I will probably regret trying to help but here goes my attempt at a layman's summation anyway.
There just isn't a cookie cutter approach to any individuals need solely relying on length (height being how high off the ground/above obstacles). I didn't find a simple "dyno"-like one line graph, with length on one side and reception on the other. I don't think it would be relavant/accurate anyway due to each of our factors that would compose "total reception" at a given spot for a given source. (With averages having their own positive and negative impacts.) Too many factors come into play as were alluded to earlier i.e distance from the broadcast point being the problem v. terrain/multipath interference being the problem or giving a balance between both, as just one example. I might shorten my antenna and it gives the best possible overall reception for me because in so doing I got rid of multipath and adjacent channel spill over (I forgot the right term atm) where as that length might totaly have the opposite effect for you because your reception problem was with pulling in a far away signal at your town X-miles from the source.
Our antenna is a reception antenna not a broadcast antenna which can have different "ideal" parameters.
The "sweet spot" referenced by procareauto is 31" so now we are looking for other secondary/lesser sweet spot(s) if that is accepted.
Looks can be subjective.
Bang for the buck also becomes subjective.
Most of the stubbies we have talked about are 3 to 9 inches up to 15/18 because someone reported that any longer without wind ferules or whatever they are called, cause "whistleing" So the question arises does that affect zeroing in on a next best sweet spot.
Anyway, to try and actually answer the question. I would say that Tweety's instal is probably the best "bang for the look" imo, but now you may say hey my buck matters because I was thinking of spending $8 to $15 on an antenna and not $50 to $70 <shrug> But if solely confined to limiting it to bang (reception) and look it's my pick. I think I may try the one with a slightly remote motor, and a manually adjustable stubby like the one above in my own real world, compared to stock, in order to actually make my final overall decision for my personal geography and channel preferences, and then just call it standard and accept what I get for traveling. Although my golden audiophile ears have deteriorated since youth I wholeheartly agree with someone's elses previous perception that CD's are significantly better sounding than AM/FM&XM anyway on the stock systems. Point being that someone elses bang for the look might be a 6" non extendable stubby for 10 bucks and whenever/wherever it doesn't perform up to what is desired switch to CD.
Best of luck finding what is best for you.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Not so stubby, but great reception.

Just purchased a universal 14” replacement antenna rubber mast, made by Metra/AutoWorks (P/N:AT-RM1R), at the local Advance Auto Parts place (Item#6050138) for $4.98. I live in the Green Mountains and the reception is equal, if not better, then the original antenna. Looks great too!:cool: Much more modern looking than the old pickup truck style factory original.:)

Here are a pair of photos w/top up & down.
View attachment 5622

View attachment 5623

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
KS-5E Spyder said:
I looked at about 20 different sites for a concise layman's explanation but couldn't find one.
The simple explanation for 31 inches is this: Most radios are designed to work antennas that are 1/4 the wavelength of the signal. The FM band is centered around a wavelength of about 124 inches; 1/4 of that is 31.

·
Registered
155 Posts
O_A_G said:
I finally got this one from carcessory: http://www.carccessory.com/detail2.asp?key=Stubby_Short_Antenna_J

It's short enough to hide. The reception is decent. Best of all it matches the Lil' Chromies I got from Kappasphere! Stubby perfection!
I have had the little stubby from carccessory.com since January. Never a problem with reception and it great when I have to put on the car cover. It works and you forget it is there! Just order "Type O".~~ Trent:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
The reception on the O's could be bad depending on the area where you live. If you have strong local stations no problem but if you do not, then you will have a problem.
The beauty of the J vs th O is the fact that it extends up to 11" if you need better reception or you can just live it at 4" lengh.

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
The reception on the O's could be bad depending on the area where you live. If you have strong local stations no problem but if you do not, then you will have a problem.
The beauty of the J vs th O is the fact that it extends up to 11" if you need better reception or you can just live it at 4" lengh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Antenna Question

I know the atenna has the female end while screws into the mail end on the car....can the mail end on the car unscrew or come off somehow without taking the whole unit itself out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, stupid question. But there there such thing as a 6" O type antenna? I thought I read somewhere on here that they got themselves a 6" antenna. I thing 2.55 might be a bit short for my tastes....

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
10,330 Posts
The 6" antenna was from a different dealer. The supporting vendor that has the "O"'s has other stubbys that can go from 4.55" to 11" from the same antenna.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have always thought that a stubby was the way to go I really cant belive they even put a mast on that does not retract like the old days. :agree:
I am adding this to my list of wants for our Agressive with all the trimings.;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have always thought that a stubby was the way to go I really cant belive they even put a mast on, that does not retract like the old days. :agree:
I am adding this to my list of wants for our Agressive with all the trimings.;)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well guys, the posts on this thread are all over the map. Did anybody ever come up with a decent short antenna that has as good a reception as the ugly stock one?

·
Member FDIC
1,025 Posts
MAIL PERSON JUST DELIVERED MY CHROME G-SERIES STUBBY ANTENNA. NOW IF I ONLY HAD MY RIDE TO PUT THE :cuss: THING ON. COME ON GM!! YOU SHOULD'VE HAD MORE CONFIDENCE IN THIS CAR AND ANTISIPATED THE DEMAND. ITS THE "THEORY OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND" ECONOMICS 101 ".
Did you ever get the G series on? I'm trying to decide between the O and the G.

·
Registered
5 Posts
G6 Convertible Antenna on Solstice?

I was at the dealer today checking on GXP delivery status (code 3000 btw) and noticed a 2007 G6 convertible in the the showroom. Ironically it had a 6" - 8" rubber stubby antenna on it. Anyone know if the G6 antenna would thread onto the the Solstice. Would be nice to have a factory Pontiac part instead of aftermarket.

Has anyone tried this, I was tempted to unthread it at the dealership and try it on a NA Solstice that was parked outside while I was there.

Ian

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was at the dealer today checking on GXP delivery status (code 3000 btw) and noticed a 2007 G6 convertible in the the showroom. Ironically it had a 6" - 8" rubber stubby antenna on it. Anyone know if the G6 antenna would thread onto the the Solstice. Would be nice to have a factory Pontiac part instead of aftermarket.

Has anyone tried this, I was tempted to unthread it at the dealership and try it on a NA Solstice that was parked outside while I was there.

Ian
Ian: I have a 2007 G6 Convertible and a 2007 Solstice. The G6 rubber stubby antenna is 7". It will not thread on to the Solstice. The G6 antenna has a male screw on it, with a female recepticle on the car. The Solstice has a male connection on the car, and a female connection on the antenna.

I assume you could find a male to male connector to mate the G6 anntenna to the Solstice, but you'd have to find one that would be the same diameter as the G6 antenna to make it look good (and black).

Your best bet is to try for aftermarket antennas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Car Without Air

That's right...I purchased a 2006 solstice without factory air. (I'm not the original owner) and now am looking for a kit so I can install it without buying all the parts piece by piece...can anyone help me? I've call GM with no luck and now am turning to aftermarket people.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts