Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 that my daughter spilt a coke on the shift console and now it is hard to get out of park but once out it works good till you put back in park there are no lights on any suggestions???

·
Registered
350 Posts
The trim ring just snaps off. It is easiest to start nearest the radio to pull it up. The bottom nearest the armrest has the longest tab holding it in. Unsnap and clean if necessary, I cant believe that the coke (sugary mess) is causing this unless it corroded something. Anyones guess.

Good Luck

·
Registered
263 Posts
it sounds like maybe its the shift interlock controlled by the brake pedal (so you can't shift from park when your foot is off the brake) I've never actually seen an automatic, but most cars have an override. I would start there and see if hitting the override makes it easier to shift, if it does, than you may have a problem with the mechanism, or possibly your brake pedal switch

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Have you tried driving it and then putting it back in park and see if it still does it? could be the way it's parked. if the wheels are turned to one direction, it could have binded it but that usually just makes it hard to turn the key.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a 2008 that my daughter spilt a coke on the shift console and now it is hard to get out of park but once out it works good till you put back in park there are no lights on any suggestions???
Hello duck1959,

Spilling sugary drinks in cars are the worst. It always seems to go exactly where it should not go. To rule out that your vehicle issue is in fact caused by the spilled Coke and nothing else, I would suggest if you do not have the equipment yourself, to get it professional cleaned.

I hope this helps,

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
That was a great answer Jennifer, better than the canned answers we often get from the reps suggesting they see a dealer and to PM the vin or some such thing.

I don't see this being a problem. Why would anyone want to take the car out of drive anyway? The Solstice is meant to be driven. ;)

Yeah it's gotta be cleaned in there as sugary drinks are like glue when they dry up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I believe the stickiness is the car's way of telling you sugary drinks and sugary daughters do not mix in this vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
While I do not have an auto, I have friends who do auto . . .

They tell me that under the gear shift is a circuitboard that senses the position of the shift lever, turns on lights etc. I suspect that you have gotten sugar in there that is gumming up the works. You want to clean it.

The BSFI (brute strength and . .. ignorance) method would be to disconnect the battery to remove all power from the shift circuit board, then flow water through the area to disolve and carry away the offending dielectric soluable solids (sugar water). Use a hair dryer set on low to help force the water through the area - it should run out and flow onto the ground. Let it dry very well and reconnect the battery. Test the result and repeat as necessary.

The other way to do it is to have a good tech remove the shifter and give it a thorough cleaning but that costs money.:devil:

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
yeah, some may not know this but water will not hurt your PCBA as long as there is no power to it and none of the components are holding a charge. we build boards and they all get run thru a giant dishwasher to clean them. Follow Robs instructions and as long as you haven't shorted anything out already, that should do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
yeah, some may not know this but water will not hurt your PCBA as long as there is no power to it and none of the components are holding a charge. we build boards and they all get run thru a giant dishwasher to clean them. Follow Robs instructions and as long as you haven't shorted anything out already, that should do the trick.
Good info.

If you use distilled water, and you are sure there is no power it should work just fine. Tap water would probably work as well but depending on how many minerals you have in your local water . . .:thumbs:

·
Registered
433 Posts
That was a great answer Jennifer, better than the canned answers we often get from the reps suggesting they see a dealer and to PM the vin or some such thing.

I don't see this being a problem. Why would anyone want to take the car out of drive anyway? The Solstice is meant to be driven. ;)

Yeah it's gotta be cleaned in there as sugary drinks are like glue when they dry up.
Sly Bob,

Thank you for the compliment. :)

Safe travels.

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Care

1 - 11 of 11 Posts