Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know so much about the Solstice and then my salemen goes stumps me. I know this too but I drew a blank when he asked me....

The silver strip that runs along the edge of behind the passenger compartment, near where the trunk meets. What are the little trap doors for?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
mceb said:
I know so much about the Solstice and then my salemen goes stumps me. I know I know this too but I drew a blank when he asked me....

The silver strip that runs along the edge of behind the passenger compartment, near where the trunk meets. What are the little trap doors for?
I believe they are for the top mechanism. I think Ex took some pics of it when he got his car. I think they open up when the top is up.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Were my pink boots in the trunk MCEB? :D

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, no wonder they held out giving me a car so long, now stupid question #2.

I just had a heck of a time locking the top to the windsheild. Lined up the pins but the center lever wasn't lining up exactly and it really hard to lock (turn). Tried to better line up the center lever better and now the side pins were off :willy:

Is that center lever always so hard or am I just a spaz :leaving:

·
4,592 Posts
Use the search button newbie :brentil:

:glol:

mceb, just playing, kinda funny to see you asking these questions, almost like your new around here. Maybe you should get a secret identity login :lol:

Hope you're enjoying the Sol!

·
Registered
479 Posts
mceb said:

I just had a heck of a time locking the top to the windsheild. Lined up the pins but the center lever wasn't lining up exactly and it really hard to lock (turn). Tried to better line up the center lever better and now the side pins were off :willy:

Mine is tight, but not hard to turn.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The pre-production car I saw tonight we could not get the roof to close at all. We kept trying to line it up but we could never get it to latch once.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
mceb said:

I've found that while lifting the top out of the trunk, it helps to lift up on the top while pulling it forward towards the windshield. If you let the top take a natural swing, it seems to land short of the desired target.
I also seemed smoother when two people lift up on either side.

I would have thought the two questions you asked would have been on the "Super Moderator test".
You didn't look over Brentil's shoulder did you? :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
top lever misaligned

Mine is misaligned as well. I cannot see a way to adjust it so I have to put my finger up in the spce and pull down on the latch hook when it starts to extend towards the windshield. Once it is in the proper area it closes hard but that is because it is pulling the top material tight. A little hassle but not bad once you get used to it.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Just a tip from a spaz who already did it. When you unlock the top with the lever in the middle, DO NOT PLACE IT BACK IN THE STOWED POSITION WHEN YOU CLOSE THE TOP. The lever is to stay in the unlocked position. If you move the lever back into the recessed part of the top it keeps the hook in the out and locked position. When you stow the top the hook lays on top of the trunk latch. When you slam the trunk shut you will bend the hook upwards. Yep I did it and it's not hard to do. The hook itself doesn't bend, just the sheet metal where the latching mechanism is attached. My dealer adjusted it for me and it has been fine ever since. The manual says to leave the latch opened, but I hadn't gotten to that part of the book by the time I stowed the top the first time. After the adjustment, my top has been easy to latch.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
Just a tip from a spaz who already did it. When you unlock the top with the lever in the middle, DO NOT PLACE IT BACK IN THE STOWED POSITION WHEN YOU CLOSE THE TOP. The lever is to stay in the unlocked position. If you move the lever back into the recessed part of the top it keeps the hook in the out and locked position. When you stow the top the hook lays on top of the trunk latch. When you slam the trunk shut you will bend the hook upwards. Yep I did it and it's not hard to do. The hook itself doesn't bend, just the sheet metal where the latching mechanism is attached. My dealer adjusted it for me and it has been fine ever since. The manual says to leave the latch opened, but I hadn't gotten to that part of the book by the time I stowed the top the first time. After the adjustment, my top has been easy to latch.
Good advice, Ex-Miata Man! Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ex-Miata Man said:
Crap I bet that's what I did. I did figure out that putting the lock handle back is not a good idea. I figured, hey tuck the thing back before you fold top......NOT. I know I tried to close the trunk at least once and found the tongue was the issue. Now the lever is a little too high going into the hole. I bet it's bent 1/8 inch or so.

·
Registered
101 Posts
MCEB, I thought I read that the doors were to also access a manual deck release... I don't have the car or owners manual yet ( 864 due October 4th) but I did read it in the forum.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bcbriggs said:
MCEB, I thought I read that the doors were to also access a manual deck release... I don't have the car or owners manual yet ( 864 due October 4th) but I did read it in the forum.
Seems like the door locks are automatic. At 5mph they lock, turn off key they unlock. The Driver Info Center gives you some options you can control such as no unlock, or only driver door but seems like the lock is mandatory and controlled by the car.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
bcbriggs said:
Trunk release is in the glove box

·
4,592 Posts
Iwant1 said:
Isnt there also a manual emergency trunk release inside the trunk? I really dont see the point.
You never know........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts