Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sub-30K 05/06 Pontiac G6 coupe w/hard top convertible? Is this going to be built and how might it affect Solstice market? Especially the possible mid to upper 20K Super charged version?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Pontiac is going to build a G6 hard top convertable. I haven't heard too much on price, but getting up towards $30K sounds reasonable. The upper end G6 sedans are getting up in the mid to upper 20's with options.

I do not think it will affect Solstice sales much at all. Its a completely different kind of car. The G6 'Vert's market is all the people that are buying Toyota Camry Solara's, Chrysler Sebrings, and V6 Mustang convertables. I don't think many of those buyers would seriously consider a small 2 seat roadster at any price. They are looking for more room in their vehicle, and most likely a somewhat different driving experience.

I think the G6 hardtop vert will be a nice compliment to the Solstice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see your point and I look forward to seeing them both in the product line. Obviously the "true", "bare bones" roadster buyer is not going to consider it.
However, the article mentioning the G6 hard top vert' described it as having a rakish, G35 like roofline and a more compact design. When I hear "rakish" and "G35-like" I don't think Camry Solara or Chrysler Sebring.
If they style the G6 vert' as aggressive as the article suggested, and I'm someone considering a loaded Solstice (pushing mid 20K's or more after the dealer mark up), bang for the buck - compared to the Solstice, I think some buyers may consider a slightly longer "Solstice" with a couple of buckets in the back and a cool automatic hard convertible top for only 3 or 4 grand more...

·
Registered
72 Posts
sliceoza said:
I see your point and I look forward to seeing them both in the product line. Obviously the "true", "bare bones" roadster buyer is not going to consider it.
However, the article mentioning the G6 hard top vert' described it as having a rakish, G35 like roofline and a more compact design. When I hear "rakish" and "G35-like" I don't think Camry Solara or Chrysler Sebring.
If they style the G6 vert' as aggressive as the article suggested, and I'm someone considering a loaded Solstice (pushing mid 20K's or more after the dealer mark up), bang for the buck - compared to the Solstice, I think some buyers may consider a slightly longer "Solstice" with a couple of buckets in the back and a cool automatic hard convertible top for only 3 or 4 grand more...

I say more power to those folks who choose the G6 vert. Leaves more SOL for all of us to enjoy!! :cheers

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sports car buyers will gravitate towards the Solstice. People who want to cruise in mid-size convertibles and want something more practical will consider the G6.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
sliceoza said:
A while back there were some spy photos of the G6 coupe and convertible on GM Inside News, and they had a striking resemblance to the current Camry Solara. The G35 comparison comes from the way the C pillars slope backwards. If the photos are fairly true to the finished product, it will look like a sporty coupe (and convertible). More so than a Sebring, but the Solara has some style of its own already.

However, I still do not see it stealing many sales from Solstice. Comparing the two is like apples to oranges. Anyone who is looking for a back seat and trunk space won’t consider a Solstice regardless of the price. Anyone looking for the driving experience of the Solstice isn’t going to be sitting in a G6 convertible. Having an open air experience is where any similarities will end.

The essence of a roadster, and the reason to buy one, is mainly for its driving and handling fun. No FWD midsize sedan weighing close to 2 tons (the G6 sedan is up around 3500, a convertable will be more) will not handle as well as the Solstice, and certainly won’t feel as fun to drive even if it can turn similar numbers on the skidpad.

I totally agree with you that the G6 hardtop convertible could be a very desirable car. If the styling looks good, it should trump the Sebring, Solara and V6 Mustang, its prime competitors. The Solara has styling but a very boring driving experience. The Sebring is boring all around, and the V6 Mustang is, well a v6 Mustang. I just cannot see too many people shopping a Solstice along with a Sebring, Solara and G6. On a Solstice shoppers list of alternative convertibles is likely to be a Miata, Saturn roadster, S2000, BMW Z3, etc etc.

Plus I am suspicious of the price. I would expect a loaded G6 ragtop to be well in the $30's, and anything under $30G not to be all that sporty or fun to drive (like the base G6 sedans).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts