Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '08 without the monsoon system, and am thinking about adding a sub. Car has the sub grill behind the passenger seat, but, nothing behind it. I found a powered Kicker sub, (Kicker Hidaway HS8), that measures 13 7/8 X 9 3/8 X 3 1/8. Will that fit in the space behind the factory grill? Or should I go with the sub kit offered at GMRoadster.com? Or, any better ideas? I want to put it behind the factory grill, and am no good at fabricating.

Thanks
Mack

·
Registered
333 Posts
For additional reference material, there are several non-Monsoon subwoofer options and opinions discussed on this site over the years.

I recently installed a low profile all-in-one sub and amp from Retrosound that I purchased from Crutchfield.com under the passenger seat of my 07 GXP. I connected it to my aftermarket JVC GPS/Entertainment system which replaced the factory non-Monsoon system. The sub won't rattle the windows on the cars around me, but does round out the frequency response of the system not too mention, gives any passenger a thrill.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For additional reference material, there are several non-Monsoon subwoofer options and opinions discussed on this site over the years.

I recently installed a low profile all-in-one sub and amp from Retrosound that I purchased from Crutchfield.com under the passenger seat of my 07 GXP. I connected it to my aftermarket JVC GPS/Entertainment system which replaced the factory non-Monsoon system. The sub won't rattle the windows on the cars around me, but does round out the frequency response of the system not too mention, gives any passenger a thrill.

I didn't think there was enough room under the seat, hence my wanting to go behind the factory sub grill. Any problems with the fit?

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
The factory sub enclose is far from regularly shaped. I just measured mine and it is about 13x13x3...of course it is much larger than that, but has many areas that are less than 3" deep. I cannot say if it will fit or not but it would be close. The cover will flex a bit to help you and the seat will hide said flex. I am sure they have a return policy so give it a try and let us know. Do you have an aftermarket head unit or planning to connect to factory radio?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The factory sub enclose is far from regularly shaped. I just measured mine and it is about 13x13x3...of course it is much larger than that, but has many areas that are less than 3" deep. I cannot say if it will fit or not but it would be close. The cover will flex a bit to help you and the seat will hide said flex. I am sure they have a return policy so give it a try and let us know. Do you have an aftermarket head unit or planning to connect to factory radio?

Thanks for measuring the encloser.

I have the factory head unit. I picked up a set of replacement sized Kickers for the doors and side panels behind the seats. Wondering, since I will have those panels off anyway, maybe going on and adding a sub while I was at it.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
In order to use the one behind the seat, you will have to find ones that fit in the Solstice. If not, there will be a lot of cutting and filling you will have to do. I personally am waiting till my buddy that did my Mustang comes up on vacation. We are going to build a box that will fit right between the hinges on the trunk and mount a sub in there since the trunk is useless anyway. He is very good at making the most out of spacing and actually built me a box in corner of my trunk on my Mustang. We hooked it right up to my Mach460 audio system, which the sound stores all said couldn't be done. And it sounded awesome and had enough power to rock windows....all without having to have a capacitor as well (another thing they said would cause issues if I didn't have one). I only needed the amp.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
TS-do you have a better pic of the other side? I looked at it once but failed on the pic side of things. What space is available where amp was? About same 12x12x3? I am doing aftermarket amp over there.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Geeze Soup do you ever have your car together.LOL

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks TS.

I see what you circled as the factory amp but are there 2 amps stock? The aftermarket amp location is also the location of a factory amp.

·
Registered
350 Posts
What did you type for google search string to find pics of waterfall area? Mine failed.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Thanks TS.

I see what you circled as the factory amp but are there 2 amps stock? The aftermarket amp location is also the location of a factory amp.
No that circle was not mine (nor the photo). What's circled is the remote doorlock receiver box. Amp is down to the right by the floor.

What did you type for google search string to find pics of waterfall area? Mine failed.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=pontiac+solstice+monsoon+amplifier+images

OR:

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&q=pontiac+solstice+subwoofer+images

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the sub is in. I have no doubt that a factory enclosure is the way to go. But, if you don't have one, and can't fabricate, and really want one back there, it is do-able.

I have never heard a Monsoon system, so I can't compare the two, but I like it. Installed a set of CS Kicker 6 3/4 in the doors, (plug and play), a set of CS Kicker 3 1/2 in the side panels behind the door, (I think, might remember the size wrong, but still plug and play with new wire connecters), a pair of base blockers on the 3 1/2s, and the Kicker Hide-a-way sub. Mounted the sub remote in the storage between the seats. I am very happy with the results.

Notice it does bulge the cover a bit, but not really noticeable unless you look for it.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and thoughts.

Mack

·
Registered
350 Posts
Glad to see an alternative option without cutting and sub type waterfall. My sis is trying to do similar to you in a sky. Glad you are happy

·
Registered
344 Posts
TS in one of the photos I see stacked on top of the VCIM what looks to be a Sirus tuner,is there enough room there to do that and still have the panel back in place or is it that the cup holder not used here. Also still looking for an alternitave way to wire my back-up camera ,really do not want to hack into the tail lights,can you tell me where to get that ? It it fuse 28? If it is is that underneath the passengers kick panel?Thanks

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
TS in one of the photos I see stacked on top of the VCIM what looks to be a Sirus tuner,is there enough room there to do that and still have the panel back in place or is it that the cup holder not used here. Also still looking for an alternitave way to wire my back-up camera ,really do not want to hack into the tail lights,can you tell me where to get that ? It it fuse 28? If it is is that underneath the passengers kick panel?Thanks
I doubt there's that much room there, without deleting the cupholder or even the cubby! But not really sure. You'd have to try it and see.

As for the camera, why not vampire off one of the reversing lights? Otherwise you'd have to run a wire all the way from the underhood fuseblock (fuse 31 or relay 28) and you'd still be hacking in to the light circuit anyway (just in a more difficult way). For my camera I did the former. Easiest way to access those wires is to remove the taillight (stop/turn cluster) and reach down the exposed hole to the reverse light wires. You can them follow them back, possibly inside the trunk (?), to see if there's a better place to attach to. Sorry, I forget where I attached mine now.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'd like to get a better sub but I'd want to build a box for it and I don't think there's enough room to get the air space required with the factory cover. I'm planning on trading for a GXP otherwise, I would have already torn mine apart and made something work. I appreciate all the info in this topic though. custom sounds is my passion.

Good luck and keep on hacking!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what year is that TA blackSol? 75? I had a 78 and a 79 TA and a 74 camaro. cool cars.
You are correct, it is a '75. Might be hard to believe, but I had it since it was new. I remember picking it up at the dealer just like it was yesterday. My how time flies.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts