Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had a 70 GTO 4sp 400 ,wish I kept that,I also bought it brand new $4500.00,thought it was allot of money but compared to today it was a drop in the bucket.Back in the early 70s I was making aroung $2.00 an hour,$4000.00 was more than I made in a year.Kinda of funny if you think of it ,how much do you make in a year ,is it close to what you would pay for a new vehicle?LOL

·
Registered
344 Posts
TS I will let you know if there is enough room soon I will be tearing the back panels off and will see if there is that much room.I my just omit that useless cup holder to get the tuner in there,I have to open that part up anyways to get the video cable installed for the reverse camera.
Anyone know if the Casio Boulder phone will pait up with the Pioneer AVIC X940 head unit?I have not had much luck with mine,Pioneer said to just reset to factory specs and try to pair again,did that did not work,also told me to try either or both pair using phone in discovery mode and or radio in discovery mode.Tried both ,neither worked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wonder if you have an update now that you have had this setup a while. Are you still happy with the door, pillar, and sub with the factory head unit and factory amp? I have base audio with a blown door speaker and no sub. I'd like to start with just replacing the door speakers (without adding crossover or changing the tweeters). Curious if you used a 2-way CS speaker, or component and just installed the driver.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I used 2 way in the doors and kept the tweeters in the a pillar. I went to replace them but the ones I bought weren't as good as the factory ones. I did not use crossovers but by amp has a mid range setting. the factory HU is ok but you'd have more adjustments with an aftermarket one. The tweets I put in the rear panels helped out a lot.

I have a factory monsoon box that will hold a shallow mount 10 if you want it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will be in Houston in 2 weeks, and would love to pick up that monsoon box! I'll send you a PM.

I just ordered some JBL speakers, GTO608c for the front and some GTO line 3.5s for the rear. Also ordered speaker plug adapters so I don't have to splice wires. The JBLs are 2ohm, so should work with the factory head unit/amp. I'll just use the woofers in the door for now, and not use the crossover or tweeters (yet).

Guess I'll be shopping for a 10" sub and amp next!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just back from a week out of town, and the JBL door and rear speakers were waiting for me. Popped in the door woofers tonight. These are direct fit in the factory mount with factory screws. The speaker adapters were worth the extra, plug right in with no slicing. Sounds good so far. I didn't mess with the tweeters or the rears, that will wait for another day (after I get that Sub box from Charlie!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally got the install done. Lots of waiting on a subwoofer that was out of production, etc...

The JBL rear speakers were also an easy drop in. Tweeters in the pillars required popping out the original heat staked mounts and using one of the mounts included in the JBL box (lots of options, I made one work). The JBLs stick out like bug eyes, but could return to original if I want. Mounted the JBL crossover in the dash, behind the triangle piece on either side of the dash, but tucked to the inside. Cut into the harness of the PAC 1416A to get speaker input to the doors, dropped the wires from the new tweeters down to the crossover, and ran wires from the new amp along under the doorsills.

The JBL amp was too big for behind the driver's seat, so it found a home in the trunk (even less space than before, ugh!).

"Settled" on a JL Audio 10" shallow sub. Lots of tweaks on the factory box from Charlie to make it fit, plus a 3/4" spacer on the inside of the cabin. Removed the factory grill ('09 had it even without Monsoon). the spacer fits that spot.

Don't tell the teenage me, but 2,000 watts in that tiny car is almost too much. The 10" JL hits hard. Angry even. the JBL speakers are crisp. The JBL amp was easy to set the gain and sounds awesome with the factory head unit. My ears are ringing tonight.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Lots of tweaks on the factory box from Charlie to make it fit, plus a 3/4" spacer on the inside of the cabin. Removed the factory grill ('09 had it even without Monsoon). the spacer fits that spot.
Do you know the distance between the waterfall cover and the factory monsoon sub box? Let's say I want the sub to be flush with the waterfall cover, will a single 3/4 ring do it, or would I have to stack two of them? I know it doesn't get seen very often, but I would like to cut out the factory grill, install it flush, and then place the sub's "trim ring" on top to make it look like a good custom installation.

I've got a factory monsoon box that I'm going to cut to fit a 10" and use mounting rings on top with a Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-10.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, just saw this, and saw your other thread, so looks like you are done. My modified box was brought flush with the face of the box with 1/8" spacer. then I pulled the factory grill (popped the heat stakes loose and it came off clean, could go back if I wanted). I used neoprene stick-on gasket so that the waterfall could pull tight to the box, then a 3/4" spacer to fill the triangle speaker grill opening, and covered that with black vinyl. The JBL10" sub barely fits, with many of the ribs inside of the monsoon box cut out. I'll try to remember to get some pics up for folks who run across this in the future.

On a 105 degree day in Texas with some 80's rock cranked a bit too loud, I manage to get a thermal shut down after about 30 minutes on my trunk mounted amp. Not sure if I can solve that, but it seems OK below 100 degrees....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, the sub is in. I have no doubt that a factory enclosure is the way to go. But, if you don't have one, and can't fabricate, and really want one back there, it is do-able.

I have never heard a Monsoon system, so I can't compare the two, but I like it. Installed a set of CS Kicker 6 3/4 in the doors, (plug and play), a set of CS Kicker 3 1/2 in the side panels behind the door, (I think, might remember the size wrong, but still plug and play with new wire connecters), a pair of base blockers on the 3 1/2s, and the Kicker Hide-a-way sub. Mounted the sub remote in the storage between the seats. I am very happy with the results.

Notice it does bulge the cover a bit, but not really noticeable unless you look for it.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and thoughts.

Mack

Hey Mack did you add an amp for the door speakers? Also, how happy are you with the setup?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts