Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my new roll bar installed. As soon as I take a couple of low resolution pics will have to learn how to get them posted.

Any one interested email me for complete set of pics.

CASam

PS: See pics below

·
Registered
457 Posts
Roll bar? I thought we did not have a good place to mount one (unless you mean the style bar which is not really a roll bar)? Where did you get it from and how did you do it?

Oh, and yes, pics would be great!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cool! I'd like to be able to take my gxp to a track day, so if you don't mind a few questions... Does it have triangulation in the main hoop and tubes with an angle of at least 30 degrees w.r.t. vertical leaving the down bars for reinforcement (or more easily, is it approved by scca or nasa for track use)?

·
Registered
406 Posts
hey CASam! i got your email yesterday if its alright with you i uploaded them and am posting them here if not i can take them down but it looks good and i definitely will look in to this in the future it looks sooooo good it shoulda been like this from the factory just as you said, hope your doing fine and hope to hear from you soon! :thumbs: also if you want i can post the other pictures you sent me in the other email just let me know

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I want to know everything!!! :willy::willy::willy:

·
Registered
406 Posts
i have more info but ill let CASam update it tomorrow! hahaha :devil:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Awesoooome! Want it!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
John: Thanks for the help; you will have to show me how you do the pics. Work was done by Westside Performance on Pico Blvd. in West Los Angeles. Great guys to deal with. The triangulation is only about 12 degrees but there are 4 major strong points and two braces behind the seat just below the cowl. Ties into the strong point for the shoulder harness. We will have to see what the tracks have to say. Bar is a full .135 ".

Bolts in and out. I may add a cross bar for a racing harness but too soon to tell. Next is the Norm's vented hood and fenders, the rear valence and a new two tone paint job.

More in a few weeks.

CASam

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Answers: lost about and inch on the seat. Stock top fits fine. There are two cosmetic mods; one for the brace to the shoulder harness strong point consisting of a 1 inch square opening which hides behind the seat and the second where you see the vinyl covers to the bracing bars. There is a large welded and bolted in support behind the two brace bars to which they are fastened. This thing is strong......

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
This is awesome!!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks for the email CASam here are the other pictures!

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
It is a nice looking installation, but I don't think the bracing will meet anyone's regulations. SCCA would probably allow it with the addition of a Petty bar, if everything else is acceptable.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Wow! I am really impressed! If you don't mind, how much did this run you?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Cost was less than my king size Wilwood brakes. Less than my CCW rims. About half the lo back pressure down pipe, exhaust, CAI and big wheel when put together.

Call George at OOPS [] 310-820-4718. Pico Blvd in Los Angeles. Really good guys to work with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Roll Bar

CASam,
Thank you very much for all the info on your roll bar installation.
The fabricator did a great job.
Jerry :cool:
yolo

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
That's by far the job of sticking a useful bar into a Kappa that I've seen so far! Good job.

It still isn't a race legal roll bar, but it is pretty much a given on these cars that a proper race legal bar is impossible to fit without compromising passenger space/ body panel integrity (i.e. trunk lid) or both.

That's why the usual lame style bars (often more likely to collapse and wind you up worse than having no bar at all in a roll over) are so common. Hopefully more people will take your approach!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Totally agree.

Excellent work that also looks fantastic. For someone as small as me, That would work very well.

·
Registered
676 Posts
This roll bar does not meet any regulations for racing. Even if it was padded properly, it still doesnt meet the NHRA, IHRA,NASA, SCCA regulations of a 5 point roll bar.

The rulebook has not changed and still means as it always has. Rear bars are still required. You can add onto it if you like, but it must contain a main hoop, drivers side bar and two rear braces.

Without the rear bars, the cage is more scary than anything IMO. In the event of a roll over, you have a pretty good chance of your neck being crushed by your roll bar.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts