Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened again, suddenly the Boost is peaking at 5psi only. I usually get it up to 22 psi after I had the GMPP upgrade kit about a year ago. Few minutes later is back fine and working well. I don't understand what can do this. Can it be because of the crimping of the GMPP upgrade? any ideas?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The ECM is throwing the car into "Limp Mode Light", because it is concerned about some sensor readings. Get the codes read, and that will be helpful. If the issue continues to get worse, eventually the ECM will throw the car into "Full Limp Mode" and you will get no boost and only about 25% throttle command.

But soldering the GMPP sensor connections would be a good start. That is a notorious failure point.

Top likely failures, with the GMPP tune:

1. Failed crimp connectors on GMPP 3 bar sensor harnesses.
2. Failed throttle body hose clamp, or possibly other hose clamps on air charge system.
3. Cracked (tank end seam on passenger side) or Mushroomed (will have ballooning pipes in center) IC.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I had same problem and had the crimp connections removed and soldered the wires all problems are gone. This is best place to start

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
It happened again, suddenly the Boost is peaking at 5psi only. I usually get it up to 22 psi after I had the GMPP upgrade kit about a year ago. Few minutes later is back fine and working well. I don't understand what can do this. Can it be because of the crimping of the GMPP upgrade? any ideas?
Like the others have stated, check the crimps on the MAP sensors and have them soldered. It seems to be about a year is when a lot of customers have seen the crimps go bad.

If you can get to an advance auto parts, autozone, etc. They will read the codes that you are getting, make sure to have them check "pending codes" also, as there can be codes even if the check engine light is not on.

That will give you a good start to getting it taken care of, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Yep, as Dave said, mine threw the occasional code and limp mode after about a year. Soldering the connections has fixed it ever since (~2yrs).

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I'm having the same issue. Will get codes and see what needs to be done to correct.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you guys, I will solder the wires and check the codes. I will get back to you. WickedMike, please let me know what you find if possible.
This is very frustrating that GM when designed the upgrade kit, it did not make it in a way that did not need cutting the wires. just pain in the a...

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The rain finally stopped, so I took the car into the auto parts store to test. I did solder the wires and unhooked the battery to turn off the check engine light. The auto parts store couldn't read code because I had cleared it. Maybe they don't have as good of equipment as the dealer.
Took car for a ride last night and it did seem to stumble once but no light came on and it seemed fine after that, Hopefully I've corrected the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Threw code this morning while traveling along at 25mph. No boost above 5psi. Had checked at parts store and code is #0236.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
This is the 'faulty sensor' code (though doesn't usually mean the sensor is faulty!).

"P0236: Turbo/Super Charger Boost Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance"

I would've again said to solder the connections, but you've done this. So presuming they were soldered correctly and well, try the steps in this post:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/code-236-turbo-72523/#post1088379

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Found I had only done half a job. I hadn't soldered the t-Map sensor and once I did that it ran just fine. Hopefully it will be good forever. I soldered a total of seven wires.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Found I had only done half a job. I hadn't soldered the t-Map sensor and once I did that it ran just fine. Hopefully it will be good forever. I soldered a total of seven wires.
DOH!! :brentil:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hopefully you heat-shrink wrapped the solder joints as well. If not, then I suggest wrapping them up really well with self-adhesive silicone tape.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I soldered the wires today and heat shrink them. Hope this was the problem.
I had the the mechanic pull the pending codes and he found 2 codes:
- P0236 Turbocharger Boost System Performance
- P2261 Turbo bypass valve stuck

I hope the problem with the connection (crimps) explain those 2 codes. I had him clear the codes to see if they show up again when i service the car next time.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
You also need to make sure your MAF is clean no oil residue of any kind.
Also the intake tube must be seal nice and tight at both ends.
Also check there is no oil on the intake of the turbo and that the solenoid just below the intake of the turbo is clean with no oil residue at all.

Reactions: jdadam01

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
any chance someone can post a picture
of the location of these sensors that have to be soldered ?

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Man, I've (re)posted this picture about fifty times now! See the MAP and TMAP outlined:

Original copyright: dbhealy

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
But TS, you are the man. You find that fricken picture so fast it is mind boggling. :lol::thumbs:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts