Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been eagerly following the development of the Solstice& Sky. One item I am not happy with is the P245/45R18 tire size across the board on all models and levels of trim. I don't think this size is practical especially for year round use that may include snow. I would like to see a negative cost option to go to a narrower and smaller diameter size. They could also reduce the sticker price and have smaller tires standard and have an option for the 18s. The current tires would be like skis on snow. Also they are very expensive. I am also concerned about potential rim damage and ride comfort.

I feel the car could get by with smaller tires. I have a BMW Z3 2.8 6 cyl with 225/50R16s that handles just fine and it has more hp and torque than the solstice.

Everyone does not need or want tuner car looks and ultimate performance.

This is just my opinion. I don't mean to start a big debate or war.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
WHAT! :brentil:

J/K. ;)

I remember the same arguement was used in the early nineties when 16's first came out. Besides, it visually needs the 18's. Anything smaller would make the car look too long.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
We've discussed tire size before and I did a litle research and as I recall, P225/60-R16 from 97-03 Grand Prix is exact same diameter as what is on the Solstice. First, there is no significant difference in weight. Second, why would you want to mess with diameter when that will upset the anti-lock brakes and speedometer. I understand that you are looking for less width for better snow grip and so I would suggest a full set of winter treads in the narrower size, but if you really are concerned about winter go in the snow then substitute a true winter tire.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There are plenty of people who are not entirely happy with the tire/rim size choice on the car. I guess all I can say to it is that GM wanted no compromises in the styling of the car, and that dictated a very large (18 inch) wheel.

If you think the Sol's tire choice is bad on your wallett and in adverse weather, check out the shoes on a Cobalt SS Supercharged. They slapped some 18's with 215/45R18 Perrelli tires on that car. Not only are those $200 a piece from the tirerack, they are just about the only tire that you can get in that size. Tire rack, nor discount tire direct list any alternatives to the OEM Perrelli's. Not only do they hurt the "affordable to own" aspect of the Cobalt (and the Solstice), in the case of the Cobalt they also limit you to what tires you can chose from to replace them with, should you not like them. At least with the Solstice, there are a number of different kinds and tires in the same size to replace the Eagle RS-A's with.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
bigger is better.. I'm hoping the High output version comes with 20's

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I agree the 18's may be a bit excessive. On such an affordable roadster, it would be nice to have a somewhat more economical tire. Dropping a grand on tires may be no big deal for the Viper crowd, but it might make the average Joe cringe when the time comes. I wouldn't want to see it go all the way down to a 15 or anything, and a 16 may even be compromising too much. But I would think a 17" in a very common size might be a bit friendlier to the wallet. Also, I believe I remember seeing that a 17" tire would actually give better performance and that when you start going above that, it's strictly for looks at the expense of handling. Is that right?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
With so many cars moving to 18'' wheels, the price should go down. I had 16'' wheels in 1993 and they cost $250 a wheel for 'cheap' tires. By 1996, the cost had dropped to $125. Only time will tell. :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I remember the first time the tire size debate came up. This was about a year ago. Back then on tirerack.com there was literally only about 5 tire options for 245/45/18 and the cheapest one you could get was about $215. A year later on tirerack.com there are now 44 tires available ranging from $133 (Dunlop Direzza DZ101) to $338 (Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT) per tire. The Goodyear Eagle RS-A original equipment tires themselves have dropped from about $230 to $196.

Those Dunlops are fairly new too, I don't remember seeing them two weeks ago. $133 is a major price drop too from the $155 the lowest tires used to be before. These are high performance summer WR rated tires as well. That's an $88 savings over the old $155 for four tires, and a $252 savings over the RS-A's if you're on a tight budget. They even have "Max Flange Shields help resist rim damage due to accidental curbing" which Dunlop designed for these type of profile wheels to protect the rims from road rash.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That tire size is crazy for the Cobalt SS. That fact alone would cause me to pass on the car. One could easily be 300 miles or more from a major city and tear up a tire. If you are in the west on vacation you are screwed.

A lot of people don't consider replacement tire cost or availability when they select a particular model or option package.

Sorry I am not going to pay 2x or more for a nonstandard size tire that does not give me that much benefit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
just today a couple of more tires were added on www.tirerack.com for the 245's with prices under $200 and it seems to be a size growing in popularity as I compared the 235's and there were only a few choices

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
brentil said:
TireRack.com actually has the Solstice as a selectable car for tires, but not rims at this time.
That's because nobody knows the bolt offset yet, and I'm STILL hoping for 5x114.5!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts