Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone who will open this thread. I just recently bought another solstice from the auction that is a manual ( first ever manual for me) and around 85 thousand miles. In the description it was listed as stationary meaning doesn’t crank doesn’t start nothing. I took a chance and bought it because the damages didn’t look to bad. See for yourself in the picture. So when I got it put the key in and obviously nothing completely dead, put the jump started and lights came on and then when I tried to start it nothing dies immediately. I try over and over and for one time it does turn on and start. I never had a manual before but I do know you have to push in the clutch. So I turn it off because engine is dying because the whole air assembly is off and then I try to turn it on again and nothing over again. Okay I put it to the side and looked at the damages and surprisingly not that much only thing that broke beside the hood, front bumper and the side mirror was the air cleaner box assembly. And also a random bullet hole in the gray thing around the windshield. I also noticed it appears that the engine is leaning slightly to passenger and leaning back leading me to believe that I have a broken engine mount. The other solstice I have, the engine does not look like that so I note that. So today I take the battery to advance auto parts to slow charge it and I put back on the battery and try to crank it. They told me the battery was good. The second I put the battery back on I hear all the relays click and power turn on, me thinking it was just the battery goes to crank it nothing only have power. I try over over and over and bam cranks over again and its working. I turn it off try again and nothing won’t start. So this action is leading me to believe I i have a bad ground somewhere and maybe if I do have a broken engine mount that could be it or who knows that may not be the problem. It seems like it thought to me from what I’m learning in college right now I just finish electrical 2 got to learn and use an Pico scope. But right it good to know that the engine does start it’s just a intermittent problem. I don’t think it the clutch switch because it started before twice and it is in neutral. Any help would be greatly appreciated that could steer me towards the path. My eye right now is on finding out if I have a broke engine mount.

·
Registered
309 Posts
For starting, I would check the clutch sensor switch on the pedal. Mine went bad at 50,000 miles. It was < $20 / 10 minute repair by a reputable shop.

·
Registered
284 Posts
re: random starting. Mine did the same thing until 2 weeks ago when it wouldn't turn over at all anymore. GM says it is the 'computer'. Costing me $1k. Nationwide part search since 2 weeks ago. Confirmed it will be done in another 2 weeks. Keep your extra car as a parts supply. lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
re: random starting. Mine did the same thing until 2 weeks ago when it wouldn't turn over at all anymore. GM says it is the 'computer'. Costing me $1k. Nationwide part search since 2 weeks ago. Confirmed it will be done in another 2 weeks. Keep your extra car as a parts supply. lol
I was thinking to make it a parts car only if the engine didn’t turn over and start but when it did start for those two times I knew i could save it. I’ll look into the computer as the last thing if I can’t find anything else.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For starting, I would check the clutch sensor switch on the pedal. Mine went bad at 50,000 miles. It was < $20 / 10 minute repair by a reputable shop.
I was thinking that too but when the car started those two time I kinda took that out the list but me not knowing much about manual transmission maybe it could be it and could also have intermittently working

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
789 Posts
I was thinking that too but when the car started those two time I kinda took that out the list but me not knowing much about manual transmission maybe it could be it and could also have intermittently working
Check out the BCM. That was the problem with mine. Well, one problem....

·
Premium Member
5,262 Posts
our cars do not like an iffy battery. You will get all sorts of strange behavior - things not making sense - if the battery is not 100%.
I vote to change the battery immediately.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,285 Posts
there is a main ground on the frame box that the hood hinges mount to. make sure it is good and tight. read all codes.be sure the clutch is in. make sure the MAF is pluged in and there is no debris in the intake tube or TB ( should of done this before attempting to start if the air box was broken) good luck,and it dont look like there is any mount issue, thats how the engine sits. that car looks about like my coupe did when I got it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mine clutch sensor was intermittent at first, had to pump the pedal a half dozen times to get it to work.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
There is a nut on the firewall side of the clutch worth checking to see if it is loose. Looks like they gooped some rtv gasket material behind its fender washer and mine had dried out and cracked off leaving the nut loose.
Easy to get to and easy to check.. its right above the brake reservoir-to-firewall hose.
Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
The inconsistency points my head in the direction of the clutch pedal switch. Easy to test just by pumping the clutch a few times between trying the starter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is a nut on the firewall side of the clutch worth checking to see if it is loose. Looks like they gooped some rtv gasket material behind its fender washer and mine had dried out and cracked off leaving the nut loose.
Easy to get to and easy to check.. its right above the brake reservoir-to-firewall hose.
View attachment 122966
Yup it appears that was the problem its crazy how you guys know everything, so I was kind a right then, it was a ground problem right?

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
Yup it appears that was the problem its crazy how you guys know everything, so I was kind a right then, it was a ground problem right?
The nut i described holds the clutch pedal assembly to the firewall i think… do not think it serves an electrical purpose.. but maybe it does on the inside of the vehicle and thats why the RTV gasket material?
Hunh?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,372 Posts
not a ground problem. it's a bad clutch switch which is located under the dashboard on the clutch pedal assembly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts