Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,285 Posts
I tend to agree with kg,especialy if the foot was on the clutch when the siht hit the fan.that alone could of killed the switch or unadjusted it.

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
Yup it appears that was the problem its crazy how you guys know everything, so I was kind a right then, it was a ground problem right?
What year is the car? The 2006 Solstice and 2007 Sky have clutch pedal position switches, but the 2008s have a clutch pedal position sensor. I do not know about the 2007 Solstice.

In any case, no ground is used. The switch uses battery voltage and directly powers Relay 34 (CRNK) and the sensor uses the ECM's 5V signal.

For the switches there is a note about ensuring they are bottomed in their retainer, and a faint "click" should be heard when fully bottoming the pedal.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,377 Posts
Haven't eyeballed it myself, but can that switch position be adjusted? The switch itself may not be bad - just not making contact consistently.
It depends on the year. If it is an 08 or newer then no if it an 06 or 07 possibly. The 06 and 07 use a switch that only detects when the clutch pushed all the way down where as an 08 and newer use a position sensor that reports it's position at any point in it's travel.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
I think the OP mentioned it works now?
Or did i miss the thread...?

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
I think the OP mentioned it works now?
Or did i miss the thread...?
My read on this post:
Yup I did what you said and yeah it started, I pump over again and started.
Is that he can get it to start by pumping the clutch pedal, but that it isn't really "fixed". Or maybe I am the one that missed something.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My read on this post:

Is that he can get it to start by pumping the clutch pedal, but that it isn't really "fixed". Or maybe I am the one that missed something.
I also did what the other guy said to do and that was to tighten the bolt that’s on the firewall under a reservoir and when I did tighten that bolt and tried to start it, it did on command. I turn it off tired again and turned on command turned it off again pushed in the clutch turned the key and started on command. It that bolt that he mentioned. I thought it had to do with something ground because it’s bolted on the firewall and the nut was loose.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
**edited for redundancy
PS) i am that “other guy” :)
Glad you got it resolved brother.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,377 Posts
It holds the clutch bracket to the firewall. It is possible that the clutch bracket not being tight allows it to twist and flex. That might be enough to throws the switch/sensor off.

·
Administrator
11,301 Posts
I also did what the other guy said to do and that was to tighten the bolt that’s on the firewall under a reservoir and when I did tighten that bolt and tried to start it, it did on command. I turn it off tired again and turned on command turned it off again pushed in the clutch turned the key and started on command. It that bolt that he mentioned. I thought it had to do with something ground because it’s bolted on the firewall and the nut was loose.
Glad you got it fixed. The switch/sensor is mounted on the bracket, so you probably didn't change the relationship of pedal to switch, but a loose bracket could have kept you from fully depressing the pedal. Either way, good job.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Another one to remember in case others have the issue. (Note to CW - check this bolt this weekend when tinkering in the garage . . )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone who will open this thread. I just recently bought another solstice from the auction that is a manual ( first ever manual for me) and around 85 thousand miles. In the description it was listed as stationary meaning doesn’t crank doesn’t start nothing. I took a chance and bought it because the damages didn’t look to bad. See for yourself in the picture. So when I got it put the key in and obviously nothing completely dead, put the jump started and lights came on and then when I tried to start it nothing dies immediately. I try over and over and for one time it does turn on and start. I never had a manual before but I do know you have to push in the clutch. So I turn it off because engine is dying because the whole air assembly is off and then I try to turn it on again and nothing over again. Okay I put it to the side and looked at the damages and surprisingly not that much only thing that broke beside the hood, front bumper and the side mirror was the air cleaner box assembly. And also a random bullet hole in the gray thing around the windshield. I also noticed it appears that the engine is leaning slightly to passenger and leaning back leading me to believe that I have a broken engine mount. The other solstice I have, the engine does not look like that so I note that. So today I take the battery to advance auto parts to slow charge it and I put back on the battery and try to crank it. They told me the battery was good. The second I put the battery back on I hear all the relays click and power turn on, me thinking it was just the battery goes to crank it nothing only have power. I try over over and over and bam cranks over again and its working. I turn it off try again and nothing won’t start. So this action is leading me to believe I i have a bad ground somewhere and maybe if I do have a broken engine mount that could be it or who knows that may not be the problem. It seems like it thought to me from what I’m learning in college right now I just finish electrical 2 got to learn and use an Pico scope. But right it good to know that the engine does start it’s just a intermittent problem. I don’t think it the clutch switch because it started before twice and it is in neutral. Any help would be greatly appreciated that could steer me towards the path. My eye right now is on finding out if I have a broke engine mount.
The sensor laying on top of the air intake duct is the MAF sensor. The car will start with it like that, But run terribly. You need to get the intake air to flow through the air duct so the MAF sensor can read all the air going to the engine. With the MAF sensor out like that it will not add enough fuel to run, because it doesn't see air going into the engine, and it adds the amount of fuel neede to match the airflow, so all you get now is the cranking/start fuel.

Ken

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get it to run before you waste your time and money on anything else. If it has a salvage title it could be nothing but a waste of time. It could also have frame damage. Your average auction could care less about helping you they just want their over the rainbow fees.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts