Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

What do you think the best Production-feasible option is for more HP

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to start choosing sides, what do you think is best option for PRODUCTION increase in HP. I'll be starting a new poll with what you think GM/Pontiac will "ACTUALLY" do.

So this poll is what you'd like to see. The OTHER poll is what you think GM will actually do.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What I'd like to see is a 3 liter aluminum V-6. What we will probably get is a 2 liter 4 with a supercharger on top. "There ain't no substitute for cubic inches" - Augie Pabst, 1957

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I agree, an aluminium V6 is the way to go. All the stories so far talk about how wide it is. And it looks like it has the room between the shock towers. GM has several decent ones to choose from.
A V8 is out. To close to the Corvette market. And, my guess is there's no room for a transmission any wider than the introductory one.
How 'bout a turbocarged V6? I can picture a "power bulge" on the driver's side of that long, sloping hood.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd love to see the alluminum in-line 6 they're putting in SUV's in this car. Nor sure if it would fit though. Anyone have any idea of the dimensions of the in-line six engine and whether it would fit in the solstice.

·
Registered
281 Posts
padgett said:
What I'd like to see is a 3 liter aluminum V-6. What we will probably get is a 2 liter 4 with a supercharger on top. "There ain't no substitute for cubic inches" - Augie Pabst, 1957
i think it'd be cool for it to have the aluminium 4.2 I6 (275/275) from the trailblazer/envoy/etc. it would give it more "classic sports car" cred.

"theres no replacement for displacement" -some guy, a long time ago :smile

·
Registered
281 Posts
DreamerDave said:
And, my guess is there's no room for a transmission any wider than the introductory one.
this car will eventually have an auto for the mass market. so, its been designed to accept what GM has already, tranny-wise. my bet is the 4L60-E will be used, which means virtually any GM auto will fit. well, maybe. :smile

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'd like Supercharging. I'd like to see the car remain as light as possible. Handling is more important to me than quarter mile times and spinning the wheels. I prefer Super over Turbo due to it's reletive simplicity and greater reliability. Also most production Turbos I have driven have perceptible lag. I reality I might just opt for the NA version.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Can't remember if it's this month's Motor Trend or Car and Driver (picked up both at the news stand 'cuz both had articles about the test drive of mules in England) but one of them said that GM was out-sourceing the transmission to the same company that makes the one used in the S2000. It is not an "off the shelf" GM transmission. Both magazines reported pleasure in shifting the 5 speed although one questioned the 3-4 gear spaceing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Can't remember if it's this month's Motor Trend or Car and Driver (picked up both at the news stand 'cuz both had articles about the test drive of mules in England) but one of them said that GM was out-sourceing the transmission to the same company that makes the one used in the S2000. It is not an "off the shelf" GM transmission. Both magazines reported pleasure in shifting the 5 speed although one questioned the 3-4 gear spaceing.
the manual tranny is an Aisin unit. theres no info on what the auto will be, but i doubt GM would anything other than what they already have. GM does great autos, but not so great manuals.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
True, if there's one thing GM does right, it's automatic transmissions. On that one point, they've been setting the standard for over 50 years!

·
Registered
81 Posts
DreamerDave said:
True, if there's one thing GM does right, it's automatic transmissions. On that one point, they've been setting the standard for over 50 years!
Reminds me of an interesting trivia question I heard once:

Q:What do Ferrari, Mercedes, Jaguar, and BMW have in common?

A:They all, at one point or another, built cars using GM automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
275 Posts
So did Rolls-Royce. The 4T and 4L tranmissions today are world-class. For that matter, how many other cars (well maybe Volvo) would you expect at least 200,000 miles out of the powertrain ?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'd like to see a V6, but I am not sure they have the room under the hood for one based on the concept and the kappa frame they have showed us. It would be a tight fit in there.

If not, I'd definately prefer to see a supercharged 4.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i would love to see a v8 for this car from gm but i don't see it happening because it would run circles around the vette! even with a basic ls1 it would run in the low 12's. most likely they will have a supercharged model like the grand prix and the monte carlo.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd love the power or a V8, but I suspect the extra weight of the 8 would have a significant effect on the balance of the car. Just looking at where the CG of the engines would be different, the extra weight of the engine, with little to no changes in the rear of the car might change the distribution by more than a couple of percent.

But it would go like a sonofab**ch in a straight line! :thumbs

·
Registered
14 Posts
power vs gas consumption

hi everybody, I'm new to this and do not know much about cars, but the solstice looks very cool.
If anybody can please answer these questions please do, I've asked 3 pontiac dealerships in my area and not one could answer any of them

1. Is the car coming in one color ( the char-coal grey) or silver or many colours?

2. How much will the car cost in Canada? All the prices I've seen are in U.S. Dollars.

3. Will there be an option to buy a hard top the first year?

4. Are the seats leather?

5. what is the horsepower?

6. Would you guys wait for the 2nd year of the car being in production so you can avoid the first year problems.
Thanks a lot for helping me out on this, its just I cant afford a vette, and I cannot get myself to buy an "uncool" car, so the solstice is a perfect fix.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Rocknroll said:
hi everybody, I'm new to this and do not know much about cars, but the solstice looks very cool.
If anybody can please answer these questions please do, I've asked 3 pontiac dealerships in my area and not one could answer any of them

1. Is the car coming in one color ( the char-coal grey) or silver or many colours?

2. How much will the car cost in Canada? All the prices I've seen are in U.S. Dollars.

3. Will there be an option to buy a hard top the first year?

4. Are the seats leather?

5. what is the horsepower?

6. Would you guys wait for the 2nd year of the car being in production so you can avoid the first year problems.
Thanks a lot for helping me out on this, its just I cant afford a vette, and I cannot get myself to buy an "uncool" car, so the solstice is a perfect fix.
The answers to those questions (as best anyone knows) are all over this site.
Just check out the various threads and you'll know what we know. The Solstice is a perfect solution to a cool car on a budget and IMHO is cooler than a Vette. :cheers

1 - 20 of 57 Posts