Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

im a new solstice owner, i saw a lot of people who had lambo doors installed, and i think suicide doors will look much better + different.

i've searched the web but i didn't find any picture of one done, and i didn't find any kit for it.

i realize it will need to be custom fabricated.

has it ever been done before?

can i see some pics of it?

thank you all !:)

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I have never heard of or seen a Solstice or Sky with them . I've helped my brother do it on (2) Street Rods years ago . #1 the rear door jam has to be re-constructed to carry the weight and you need to find a set of hinges to work . On our cars I don't think reversing our hinges left to right will work . On my Brothers 46 Ford we used a set of 1955 Nomad hinges left side to right and right to left. You also need Bear Claw closers for the front . Contact a Custom Shop it will cost a few 1,000 dollars to be done right . I thought about it for my PT front doors and got an estimate of 2,850 . That was 6 years ago . As much as I like them i'll pass .

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a universal kit listed on CarID under our vehicle. They are made by AutoLok, I have looked at them and have been wondering how difficult it might be.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
CarID can be a little, let's say "optimistic" on what's available/will work for a given car. I've seen a bunch of stuff there that's claimed to fit our cars that's plainly wrong.

So check carefully first :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I was thinking of doing this as well....I think the biggest thing will be how the rear part of the door folds into the car...you'll more than likely have to do some cutting and welding to make this happen....

The only thing I'm unaware of on this mod would be to make sure you can actually get out of the car with the door opening from the rear. My bagged solsti is hard enough to get out off when it's sitting frame....couldn't imagine trying to get out AND miss the steering wheel every time :)

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Thought of this a few years ago too. Only shop that came to mind was V8 Archie. Here's a link to a 3 inch chop, LT1, suicide door coupe called the Stinger, and he did it about 10 years ago.

All I remember is reading how he said the rear of the upper door sill had to be reinforced and welded in a steel plate in order to support the hinges and weight of the door when opening and closing.

V-8 Archie -- LT1 Stinger

·
Super Moderator
16,612 Posts
If the objective is to be unique, then go for it. But it remains to be seen if there is any functional advantage. With VDI operation, ingress and egress are easier for many people and the footprint in the garage is reduced. It appears that rear hinged, outward opening doors do not have any functional advantage.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Only thing I found were universal suicide door kits. When I Google/Images for suicide doors a lot of Lambo styles doors come up, but also old-school suicide doors on various later models. Definitely would want someone (or a shop) who has experience. Also would think about researching hot rod shops over custom shops*, along w/trying to attend a local Good Guys event to help locate shops from attendees or vendors at the event.

Regardless, be prepared to pay. Guessing it could cost anywhere from $3-$5K. In addition would consider incorporating a door safety strap to prevent the door from fully opening in the event it opened at speed.

While Wrangles doors aren't suicide because they are designed to be removable they have a door safety strap to prevent the door hitting the front fender when opening.

*Thinking reputable hot rod shops may tend to stay in business longer than custom shops that have gotten the rep of being in business one day and gone the next.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts