Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to Auto Cross my Spitfire while in college. It was very informal and didn't require anything other than a willing parking lot, a few plastic cones and a bunch of crazy car people. I was wonder if any of you Auto Cross and what you think of the Solstice as a possible candidate. When I ran my Spitfire, it was basically a drive it in, race and drive it out type of crowd. Does that still exist today or is it all specialty car racing? I would love to Auto Cross again but haven't followed the sport in 30 years. Can an amateur still participate in a stock vehicle? Is the Solstice a possible candidate or would this style of racing be too much for a daily driver car? Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
http://www.steelcities-scca.org/solo2/index.html

Your in luck. They run very close to you.

All you need is a helmet (they seem to have loaners for newbies). As long as you just want to do it for fun there is no reason not to. The Solstice will do fine in CS and your region even has street tire classing.

While the season is over here in the Northeast it will give you time to get familiar with your car until next spring.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LBJay,
Thanks for the info! :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If you don't like the idea of wearing somebody else's sweaty helmet. You can get a Solo2 legal M rated helmet from The Helmet Shop for under $60. Go to a local store to check size before you order.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Ex_Miata_Man If you do get to do the Auto Cross please keep us informed of how the car handles, also how you did vs the other cars and what were day?. I know on this type of event a lot has to do with the driver, when I was on the Corvette club here in my home town a good 20 years ago, we use to do the auto-cross a few times a year, not only here but accross Florida, it was kind of interesting how some 4 and 6 cylinder cars would beat the V8 Vettes, not always but it would happened a few times.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LBJay,
Great idea. If I get it now, I will have all winter to develop a paint scheme for the helmet. 'Sounds like fun! :)

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I will be running my Solstice in most of the West Michigan Solo II events next year... provide it finally comes in. If not, then I'll be running my Solstice GXP the following year.

This car is meant to be driven, and should preform just fine on a Solo II course of any nature (parking lot w/ cones or race track like Gratan or Gingerman).

I also plan to team up with others in the Chicago / NW Indiana / West Michigan area to get a Solstice day or Solstice even at Gingerman.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Just a word of advice to any up-n-coming autocrossers or anyone new into the sport, the first upgrade I highly recommend is new summer only tires. The RS-A's are awesome on dry pavement, but as of this morning I learned the Jeckel-&-Hyde of their dry vs wet performance. Yeah, I was really embarassed this morning by all the onlookers in traffic in the turn lane next to me as I was completely sideways across two lanes. Same road I travel every day for the last month with my Solstice going the same speed, just happened this was the first time it was wet from rain during the night. I've never had a traction issue with my car, even going twice as fast going around the same corner in dry conditions. At least I was able to pull out of it and straighten the car back up. :willy:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
brentil said:
Just a word of advice to any up-n-coming autocrossers or anyone new into the sport, the first upgrade I highly recommend is new summer only tires. The RS-A's are awesome on dry pavement, but as of this morning I learned the Jeckel-&-Hyde of their dry vs wet performance. Yeah, I was really embarassed this morning by all the onlookers in traffic in the turn lane next to me as I was completely sideways across two lanes. Same road I travel every day for the last month with my Solstice going the same speed, just happened this was the first time it was wet from rain during the night. I've never had a traction issue with my car, even going twice as fast going around the same corner in dry conditions. At least I was able to pull out of it and straighten the car back up. :willy:
How much water are we talking here? Nix Sol had a similar problem with his.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
It looks like we need to go to Eagles F1-GS-D3 pronto here in Florida.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Like enough to make the road look wet, but no standing water.

Let me back up a little too. This is the first RWD car I've owned too so I'm not a master at telling when the backend is starting to do things it shouldn't be doing. This was also a school crossing zone so it has tons of that lovely white paint on the ground that is oh so slippery when wet. I'm pretty sure I started breaking the back end loose like I've done before and recovered from, but before I could recover like I've done before I hit that damn white ice and lost complete control for a couple seconds. Once back on pavement again I was able to start regaining traction to bring the car back around and to a stop. However if I hadn't started the initial break away on the road which happened because it was wet I would have been fine around the corner, because as I've said I've gone through there faster then that and never broken the rear loose in the same place.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
brentil said:
Like enough to make the road look wet, but no standing water.

Let me back up a little too. This is the first RWD car I've owned too so I'm not a master at telling when the backend is starting to do things it shouldn't be doing. This was also a school crossing zone so it has tons of that lovely white paint on the ground that is oh so slippery when wet. I'm pretty sure I started breaking the back end loose like I've done before and recovered from, but before I could recover like I've done before I hit that damn white ice and lost complete control for a couple seconds. Once back on pavement again I was able to start regaining traction to bring the car back around and to a stop. However if I hadn't started the initial break away on the road which happened because it was wet I would have been fine around the corner, because as I've said I've gone through there faster then that and never broken the rear loose in the same place.
Thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

I have always found it interesting that in our modern rubber bumper society that they still allow crosswalks to be slippery when wet. I have almost busted my ..er bum several times during the same conditions while walking across the street. You think they could put some sand or something in the paint to give it some grip.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have driven the Sol several times on wet roads and never had a traction issue. As a matter of fact my truck hydroplanes more than the Sol does, believe it our not. Could it have had something to do with the road surface itself, with the rain making it slippery even when its normally not when dry? Guess any car could spin out under the right combinations of speed and road conditions.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
PAS22 said:
I have driven the Sol several times on wet roads and never had a traction issue. As a matter of fact my truck hydroplanes more than the Sol does, believe it our not. Could it have had something to do with the road surface itself, with the rain making it slippery even when its normally not when dry? Guess any car could spin out under the right combinations of speed and road conditions.
Yeah, this was one of those perfect conditions for me. If there had been another foot or two of pavement for me to correct the rear end sliding before I hit the white ice I would have been fine. It's just I started to break away very slightly since it was wet and hit the slippery stuff.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
50/50 = no warning when the rear wants to steer :lol:

·
5,600 Posts
brentil said:
Just a word of advice to any up-n-coming autocrossers or anyone new into the sport, the first upgrade I highly recommend is new summer only tires. The RS-A's are awesome on dry pavement, but as of this morning I learned the Jeckel-&-Hyde of their dry vs wet performance. during the night.
Wow, the RSA's are THAT bad, huh? That's bad to hear. Franky, lots of folks have the opinion they are not "awesome" on dry pavement either.

Any guess as to how GSD3's would have held up on the same wet pavement you skidded on today?

·
Registered
230 Posts
yeah, the RSA's are pretty bad... hopefully I'll have my car back tomorrow (and It will have only been in the shop 1/2 the time I've been payin for it! I gotta rack up some serious mileage so I can keep up with Dori!) for those who are interested, the water I hit was a puddle about 1/2 inch deep. Drive extremely carefully in the rain. During autocross you should be fine though, even if you do lose control, you're just in a parking lot after all, right? I mean, what's the worst you could do, hit some cones maybe???

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Nix Sol said:
During autocross you should be fine though, even if you do lose control, you're just in a parking lot after all, right? I mean, what's the worst you could do, hit some cones maybe???

:eek: You asked for it...

the worst you could do

Graphic content... you've been warned :leaving:

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts