Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our local Buick Cadillac GMC dealer (who used to sell Pontiac back in the day) just brought in a 2007 base model Solstice with an automatic transmission. The car is mean yellow, and has under 70km (45 miles) on it. Needless to say, it looks brand new and entirely proper sitting on the sales floor. It's currently there on display and not for sale. Of course everything is for sale if the price is right, so I'm curious as to people's opinions about the value of an example like this one?

My thoughts are that if you have one with such low miles on it, you can't afford to drive it without drastically decreasing the car's value. On the other hand, I think it will be decades before a car like this one would significantly appreciate in value, so it really makes for a poor investment. So, as much as I love a yellow solstice, I really don't know what I'd do with one like this.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
The problem is with so many years and only 45 miles it will need a lot of service. Obvious tire and battery replacement. Fluids should be flushed and replaced. Then like you say if you drive it, it will rapidly depreciate. Trying to save a car as a collector is not a good gamble.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Too few miles for a seventeen year old car. Machinery of any sort doesn't age well if unused.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If only letting a car sit unused preserved it as new.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
If it had fuel in the tank, it's got a lot of issues as we've seen this last week in another post where the car had only 5k on it and hadn't been driven in only 3 years.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Too few miles for a seventeen year old car. Machinery of any sort doesn't age well if unused.
thirteen or maybe fourteen years old

·
Registered
134 Posts
The good
the dealer wouldn’t have bought a bad running car and I would ask but they would also change all fluids
the bad
as other have said unless it was preserved well you might have problems sooner than later
and the worth ???? Nobody can give a price since it’s you that might want it and what you are willing to pay
look at the 2020 vette
some are asking $35k over sticker from owners that have them on the ground

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be fair, the dealership did give the car a thorough inspection when the brought it in and I’m sure they changed all fluids, not sure about new tires, though. Even at that, I’d be concerned driving a car that’s been basically unused for 13 years. Lots of things to deteriorate after just sitting for that long.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I can provide you with an exact fair market value for the car if you do some leg work. Locate as many "Mean" base model automatic solstices for sale as you can find on the internet. post the asking price and the mileage for each one. I will run it through a program I wrote that computes the fair market value of a vehicle.

How it works is it compares each of the comparison vehicles against each it gets the difference in asking price and the difference in mileage. It takes the difference in asking price and divides it by the difference in mileage. This gives you the value difference per mile.
It then averages all of the value differences per mile gotten when comparing the comparison vehicles.
Then it looks at the difference in mileage for each of the comparison against the mileage of the vehicle you are wanting to know the value of. It then takes the averaged value difference per mile and applies it to the mileage difference. This gives you an adjustment number that gets applied to the asking price of the comparison vehicle. It basically adjusts the price higher or lower so that the comparison vehicle price would be as if the vehicle has the same mileage as the one you are wanting the value of.
once that is done it takes all of the new adjusted asking prices and averages them giving you a fair marker value.
Then we take into consideration the condition of the vehicle you are wanting to know the value of. I used KBB's condition groupings and the requirements for each group to come up with a condition offset factor. and when applied to the averaged fair market value you get the fair market value of the vehicle you are wanting.

The program does not take into consideration any options because most times options unless rare do not carry a whole hell of a lot of weight. In the case of the Solstice the 5 options that make the largest impact in value are coupe, color, GXP, SCCA and transmission. This is why I told you to locate only Yellow Base models with automatics. Best to locate vehicles where the first 8 digits of the fin number are the same as the one that you are wanting to know the value of.

I can tell you that my insurance company 3 months ago paid out on my Solstice as a total loss. It is a 08 Mean GXP Manual. They gave me almost 20,000 for it and it had 57,000 miles on it. They lowballed me at first and when I responded with the calculations that I used and the number I came up with.. They had no argument and paid. It took several days for them to reply to my e-mail, this means they sent it over to their legal department and if there was a fault in the calculations it would have been found and they would have argued it. Insurance companies will not pay a single penny over what the value of an item is.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The biggest problem is going to be the damage that is going to or already has taken place to the cylinder sleeves, piston rings and bearings. Surface rust can cause wear equal to driving 100K miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can provide you with an exact fair market value for the car if you do some leg work. Locate as many "Mean" base model automatic solstices for sale as you can find on the internet. post the asking price and the mileage for each one. I will run it through a program I wrote that computes the fair market value of a vehicle.

How it works is it compares each of the comparison vehicles against each it gets the difference in asking price and the difference in mileage. It takes the difference in asking price and divides it by the difference in mileage. This gives you the value difference per mile.
It then averages all of the value differences per mile gotten when comparing the comparison vehicles.
Then it looks at the difference in mileage for each of the comparison against the mileage of the vehicle you are wanting to know the value of. It then takes the averaged value difference per mile and applies it to the mileage difference. This gives you an adjustment number that gets applied to the asking price of the comparison vehicle. It basically adjusts the price higher or lower so that the comparison vehicle price would be as if the vehicle has the same mileage as the one you are wanting the value of.
once that is done it takes all of the new adjusted asking prices and averages them giving you a fair marker value.
Then we take into consideration the condition of the vehicle you are wanting to know the value of. I used KBB's condition groupings and the requirements for each group to come up with a condition offset factor. and when applied to the averaged fair market value you get the fair market value of the vehicle you are wanting.

The program does not take into consideration any options because most times options unless rare do not carry a whole hell of a lot of weight. In the case of the Solstice the 5 options that make the largest impact in value are coupe, color, GXP, SCCA and transmission. This is why I told you to locate only Yellow Base models with automatics. Best to locate vehicles where the first 8 digits of the fin number are the same as the one that you are wanting to know the value of.

I can tell you that my insurance company 3 months ago paid out on my Solstice as a total loss. It is a 08 Mean GXP Manual. They gave me almost 20,000 for it and it had 57,000 miles on it. They lowballed me at first and when I responded with the calculations that I used and the number I came up with.. They had no argument and paid. It took several days for them to reply to my e-mail, this means they sent it over to their legal department and if there was a fault in the calculations it would have been found and they would have argued it. Insurance companies will not pay a single penny over what the value of an item is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could you run your program on 2008 base(No gxp) , automatic transmission, blue With 30,000 miles ? (FYI I have a gxp but ran into a guy with the above car but he never gave me a price on his)

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Last year it would have been a $6500. This year, $8000-$10,000 depending on color and location.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Last year it would have been a $6500. This year, $8000-$10,000 depending on color and location.
My car is up at our cabin in northern Wisconsin (I’m in Florida for the winter, gxp is stored in garage there), The car I’m asking about is in the same area. Thanks for the response

·
Registered
19 Posts
The fair market value of a 2008 Base model automatic with 20,000 miles on it is
$12,955.8042172 USD

output is attached
I think this is really interesting. Now I'm curious. I've got a 2009 base manual aggressive red coupe. 19,950 miles. Several options, but not loaded. Bone stock. Actually still sitting on original tires. (Yes, 11 year old tires are an accident waiting to happen.) I've had a case of "odometer anxiety" wondering if crossing that 20k mark would greatly reduce it's value, as I've been thinking of sell it. With winter on my doorstep, it will likely be stored now till spring or sold.
So my question is, what would be the estimated value difference between a that '08 convertible and my '09 coupe?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have to look and see.
Most option are not going to sway the value of the vehicle. tho they will give a better "curb appeal".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts